rugbyunion
Latest News:
Saturday 15 December, KO 14:00 Yorkshire Carnegie v Coventry Rugby, Emerald Headingley
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

MESSAGES->author
Live rugby on terrestrial TV
almostatyke (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 20:00
The East Midlands derby, played at Twickers, is being shown by channel 5 on Saturday:

[www.premiershiprugby.com]

Obviously a minor event compared to Sunday at Headers, but a suitable warm-up?

MESSAGES->author
Re: Live rugby on terrestrial TV
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 20:35
How can you/they call it a derby when played in London???

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
03 October, 2018 08:36
I believe the match is for charity although I can't remember which one.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
03 October, 2018 09:41
[www.northamptonsaints.co.uk]

Watched the game between Saints and Tigers he was hurt in last season straight from Kick off, Horrible injury, still not got use of his arm i believe or unlikely to get full function back

Good to see Rugby looking after their own,

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 16:54
Well a hard fought match, with a half decent crowd - hopeful giving Rob Horne a deserved financial boost in his retirement.

Did anyone notice how well F/P Jonah Holmes played? Tricky game for a fullback with the rain but he was solid and had a hand in Tigers' tries.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 21:55
Holmes showed his class. Good player.

Nosnibor
Nosnibor (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 22:06
Holmes was deservedly given MOM

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
13 October, 2018 07:37
Just spotted that Bath versus Toulouse is on Channel 4 today, KO 1.00 p.m.

Wonder if any of our former players will be involved?

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
13 October, 2018 08:29
Loads of choice on BT sports today and Sunday. Leinster started their defense of their title yesterday with a 8try drubbing of Wasps. 52-3 in the end, and Lanny looked unimpressed! Wow!

Grybz
Grybz (IP Logged)
13 October, 2018 13:32
Donít know if anyone else is watching the Bath v Toulouse match, but for anyone who did...do you think Freddie Burns is going to have nightmares about that incident for a long time to come? Five minutes left, two points down and he trots over the line, goes to touch it down with one hand? Fair play to the French winger though for not giving up though and knocking his arm and forcing the knock on, but what a numpty!

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
13 October, 2018 13:50
Absolutely no sympathy with Freddie Burns. Totally unprofessional. Celebrate when the ball has been put down, not before! Sympathy is for his team-mates, Club and supporters. He has cost them the match!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
13 October, 2018 19:55
The Bath bench had a familiar ring to it: Max Green, Max Wright, Jack Walker.

For crying out load, we need these guys here at Headingley.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
14 October, 2018 16:45
Anyone see Falcons beat Toulon at the Stade Mayal? F/P Hodgson played his heart out and Buzz did his bit from the bench.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
19 October, 2018 07:45
This week, us poor people who cannot afford Sky or BT have the Munster versus Gloucester match to watch on Channel 4, KO 1.00 p.m. Limerick Saturday lunchtime.

(Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 18:11
Sadly Ciprianni's red card ended the match as a contest, though Glaws kept going to the end.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 19:56
A great weekend for rugby. Smashing win for Leicester, The Castres v Exeter was a classic attritional encounter. and Wasps v Bath was probably the best draw I have ever watched. Great adverts for our game.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 20:02
Quote:
Bobba
A great weekend for rugby. Smashing win for Leicester, The Castres v Exeter was a classic attritional encounter. and Wasps v Bath was probably the best draw I have ever watched. Great adverts for our game.

Which terrestrial channels were these matches on, then?

(Sm113)

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 21:31
BT Last time I heard their tv services a provided by cable and copper wire and their offices are on land usually referred to as Great Britain. To my knowledge they are not yet extra terrestrial, although their service center probably is.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 08:44
The game of Rugby Union should be played over 80 minutes. In the case of Newcastle Falcons 89 minutes. With the clock in the red, nearly 9 minutes of added time and 39 phases later they managed to get over the whitewash to secure a win. Superb edge of the seat stuff! Well done Falcons!(Sm152)

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 14:57
Having bided his time, Buzz may be getting noted at KP. In starting fifteen yesterday and got 71 minutes on park. Hope he is getting recognition we know he deserves!

bspa2
bspa2 (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 10:36
Our Coventry game is on Sky Sports Action tomorrow. Also our game against Doncaster on 29 December.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
06 November, 2018 21:15
Going back to the normal definition of "terrestrial tv" i.e. what is free-to-air, provided you pay your license. This Saturday we have:

Scotland versus Fiji 2.30 KO (BBC1)

Wales Australia 5.20 KO (BBC2)

Ireland Argentina (Channel 4)

Obviously most posters and lurkers on this board will be going to the Carnegie match at Huddersfield, so I post this to remind you to set the video recorder.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
07 November, 2018 14:00
Almo, doesn't the Carnegie game kick off at silly o'clock,giving fans time to get home and watch the Internationals? Obviously no thought at all given to Carnegie fans with their 'on the road' home game early kick off.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
07 November, 2018 15:49
I understand Carnegie fans are invited to watch the England - All Blacks game (on Sky) at the YMCA clubhouse, starting immediately after the Carnegie cup match, so I think the criticism is a little unfair.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
07 November, 2018 16:33
Quote:
almostatyke
I understand Carnegie fans are invited to watch the England - All Blacks game (on Sky) at the YMCA clubhouse, starting immediately after the Carnegie cup match, so I think the criticism is a little unfair.
Carnegie home games should be in Leeds, fans certainly shouldn't be expected to travel to a home game kicking off at lunchtime. Wouldn't it also be better if bar takings were coming to Carnegie, rather than swelling the funds of another club? We all know what Carnegie have gained in terms of finance and support since going on the road. Absolutely nowt!

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
07 November, 2018 17:35
I think the point is how much we've saved by not opening Headingley for 2 blokes and a dog.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
07 November, 2018 18:23
I agree with Haxby that over the years of "away" - "home" games have had no benefit whatsoever to the club, indeed the reverse is probably true, discouraging "supporters" from attending away matches, and this is carried forward to the home matches. Gone are the days when a season ticket was designed to cover all home League matches as well as some Cup matches.

As far as I know we still make a substantial payment to Leeds Rugby for the use of the ground. That being the case, the games should be at home, even if that means the ground is opened for "2 blokes and a dog".

Interestingly I seem to recall that, in the past, when games were cancelled at short notice and transferred to Headingley, that fairly good crowds turned up for these cup matches.

Food for thought perhaps.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
07 November, 2018 18:59
I agree with Leeming.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 00:14
I agree. Scrap on the road.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 00:18
The club make a massive thing about the Headingley ground. Biggest and best Rugby ground outside London! So why do we wanna go to Huddersfield ymca to watch our team.

The experiment has gone on long enough.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 03:08
Just to be clear, I'm not defending 'on the road' in any way shape or form.

I'm just saying that I'm not under any illusions as to its real purpose, and the reason it endures when its stated purpose has so clearly failed.

Selby Kev
Selby Kev (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 19:03
On the other hand...you could say that taking the show on the road is a generous idea and stimulates interest...it might all feel better if we were doing well??

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 12:41
The Varsity game is live on BBC2 tomorrow (Thursday) 3.00 p.m. There is also the women's match on the Red Button earlier in the day.

MESSAGES->author
Madtyke (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 16:45
Ch4 have Exeter vs Glos in the Heineken Championship Cup on Saturday feom 12.30pm

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 20:03
Quote:
almostatyke
The Varsity game is live on BBC2 tomorrow (Thursday) 3.00 p.m. There is also the women's match on the Red Button earlier in the day.

Watched the (male) game this afternoon but sadly our academy player, who I think was trying too hard, got injured, hopefully not too seriously.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
11 December, 2018 17:05
Channel 4 at it again this weekend: Cardiff Blues versus Saracens, 1.00 p.m. KO Saturday. Remember to set your recorder, and ensure your Betamax has tape in it before heading to Headers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net