rugbyunion
Latest News:
Saturday 15 December, KO 14:00 Yorkshire Carnegie v Coventry Rugby, Emerald Headingley
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

TykesRugby.co.uk
Bedford matchday thread
TykesRugby.co.uk (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 10:19
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/10/2018 13:47 by Wildwillie .

Bobba
Re: Bedford matchday thread
Bobba (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 10:51
Excuses posted on another thread.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 10:57
Hat and scarf today I reckon.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 12:01
If you wear a blue & white scarf you can pretend to be a Bedford fan.

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 13:46
0-3 after 5 min.

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 13:52
7-3 Bainbridge try!

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 13:53
Elder converted from the touchline

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 14:29
Half time. 7-13 Bedford try scored by former Tyke Jarad Williams.

Nosnibor
Nosnibor (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 14:33
Listening on radio Leeds. Some encouraging signs. Same old errors.

First home, non-TV game for years that I could attend, but have not bothered with. Playing a 13 at 10 might have something to do with it.

Still a supporter, but weighing time, money and almost inevitable disappointment against my desire to be there to see how things unfold on the day, I decided to give it a swerve. Sad really. It used to be such a highlight for me. My wife knew without asking that we'd lost to Nottingham because of my grumpiness. That's not a good thing.

I look forward to news of the pre-match forum and better times ahead.

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 15:29
21-28 finalscore

Nosnibor
Nosnibor (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 15:33
Commentators were upbeat despite the loss.

Small matter of LI away next week. Can't see us getting anything out of that.

MESSAGES->author
Madtyke (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 16:45
Actually Andy Forsyth at 10 had a good game and he made a couple of line breaks which les to one try. Dan Temm at 8 is awesome, he has pace and power not only break past defenders but also score or set up other runners.

Our pack was a tad over-powered by Bedford and silly pens were given away which didn't help. The ref Greg MacDonald was his useless self as were his TJs who had no idea about the offside law and fair play to Bedford they pushed the law to its limits.

My comment to the ref assessor Robin Goodgrief was that the ref should try Slimming World as his girth is getting wider brought a wry smile...

Down to 14 for the last 9 minutes and it was Carnegie in the ascendancy but by then we were 14 points behind and Dan Temm's individual try brought Carnegie within 7 and a losing bonus point.

All in all given the thinness of our squad it was a good effort.

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 16:58
Good summary/match report Madtyke!
Our scrum was a massive problem in the first half, but replacing the props at half time more-or-less turned it around.
The ref gave a penalty to the side putting in at every scrum in the game, iirc.

I cannot remember a single missed tackle and had we taken the first-half opportunities when we had an overlap....who knows. But overall a lbp was fully deserved, especially when we scored our final try with 14 and the Bedford 15 were blowing and anxious for the final whistle.
Full marks to Forsyth who really stepped-up and controlled the match as an out-of-position 10 and Chris Elder, who did everything right including goal kicks.

Nosnibor
Nosnibor (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 18:01
Pleasantly surprised to hear how Andy Forsyth performed. I don't think we've really seen the best of him except in flashes. Past injuries haven't helped.

He was Radio Leeds MOM if IIRC

Grybz
Grybz (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 18:18
Definite signs of improvement after the Nottingham debacle, although that wouldn’t have been difficult. I had a nasty feeling we would rue the missed opportunities in the first half and our scrum is still a major concern. That said there were some good line breaks and I thought Temms, Bainbridge and Watkins all impressed. For me Elder is a far better winger than a full back.

I know for the Cup competition they are going to be trialing new tackle laws, but can someone confirm whether they are trialing new offside laws this season as I appear to have a different understanding from the chap in yellow who I thought was supposed to be refereeing, but it wasn’t altogether clear at times what he was doing?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 18:49
The new South Stand is absolutely brilliant! Somehow I ended up in a "Gold Membership" seat, near the halfway line and about 10ft from our DoR, but I really fancy the standing on the halfway line.

Now when the bar underneath opens up, selling real ale at £3 a pint (sorry, forgot to ask Chris Stirling that one) the jobs a good 'un.

Here's the offie version:

[www.yorkshirecarnegie.com]

And Chris Stirling's take on the game is credible:

[www.yorkshirecarnegie.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 19:06 by almostatyke.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 19:22
They gave everything. We were a lot more accurate this week. Lineout was ok on the whole. Scrum needs attention though cos it is getting stuffed far to easy.
Forsyth did ok at 10. Thought he should have gone to the line more first half. I did think it was crying out for Davey in last 15 mins mind. Temm fox Watkins all stood out. All tried there socks off. Thraves punched holes ball in hand shame nobody on his shoulder!
Bad points. Still compounding errors. Not taking the ko after we got back in the game. 3 pens for taking the player in the air at the line out was really poor. Did we ask for the scrum on there 5m line? Then lost it. Poor decision the way the scrum was going.
Not enough quality or game breakers to win. Plus point is I haven't seen a decent champ team yet. If we can get any team to earn everything they get i.e yards or points we are half way there.
Bedford fans reckon they made hard work of it! Shows how far down we are at the moment. I was thinking we should be putting you to bed!

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 19:46
Quote:
JDH
They gave everything. We were a lot more accurate this week. Lineout was ok on the whole. Scrum needs attention though cos it is getting stuffed far to easy.
Forsyth did ok at 10. Thought he should have gone to the line more first half. I did think it was crying out for Davey in last 15 mins mind. Temm fox Watkins all stood out. All tried there socks off. Thraves punched holes ball in hand shame nobody on his shoulder!
Bad points. Still compounding errors. Not taking the ko after we got back in the game. 3 pens for taking the player in the air at the line out was really poor. Did we ask for the scrum on there 5m line? Then lost it. Poor decision the way the scrum was going.
Not enough quality or game breakers to win. Plus point is I haven't seen a decent champ team yet. If we can get any team to earn everything they get i.e yards or points we are half way there.
Bedford fans reckon they made hard work of it! Shows how far down we are at the moment. I was thinking we should be putting you to bed!

Agree with all the above, Jenkins lost it a little in 1st half had to be reprimanded by touch and ref,and sadly for Fox he got into 2/3 great supporting roles just didn’t have the pace of a winger which was probably needed (don’t think the lads confidence would have been helped by someone shouting that out however) and he was up against Dickson who reffed pretty much all the game and “old manned” Bedford some points......just like Davies for us last year,

They really grafted and could see us sneaking a draw at the end as Blues we’re hanging on

leeds_shark
WPL (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 19:48
Thoughts on today was a marked improvement than against Nottingham - Bedford fans thinking they made hard work of it how does that balance against our players putting in a huge amount of effort making it difficult for them?

I think the difference today was a more powerful pack and I think experience showed. To me lots of players stepped up to the mark, given our injury problems I think they could do no more. Yes there was some errors and whilst I thought Forsyth had a great game ball in hand, our restarts were essentially high ball catching practice for them - that is no fault to Forsyth at all, it's not his natural game.

I felt we missed a big opportunity in the 1st half when 7-3 up, I think we had a 3 on 2 - that said we got that opportunity in the 1st place.

In a way it's a shame we have Irish next up at their place - but you never know they may under estimate us...

That said, I'm quite positive going into the Scottish game now, they only just beat Bedford last week when Bedford had 14 or so players ill and actually asked for the game to be postponed!

Carry on this trajectory and what Chris said before the game, becomes a real opportunity to achieve if not surpass!

John R
John R (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 04:47
I agree with all the above, much better effort and some really good phases of play by Tykes.

If this attitude is maintained (and why not?) as our injured players return and new additions arrive, the Chris Stirlings prediction of a mid table finish to the season is feasible.

Well done the lads. Another couple of minutes and a draw was on.

Crap referee again...................

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 08:37
Congratulations are due to the twitterer on the Offie who provided minute by minute tweets on the match action on Sunday. Good work and thanks!

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 08:46
There was a lot more people from the club visible Sunday? Or was this cos I turned up earlier..

South stand is great.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 17:02
Mr Caddick was there, I don't know how often he turns up these days.

South Stand seats could turn out to be good news. There was definitely more noise, even with a small crowd. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the North Stand closed for us when it's finished - the other sides can now accommodate end-on and side-on, seated or standing.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 17:20
Quote:
Bobba
Congratulations are due to the twitterer on the Offie who provided minute by minute tweets on the match action on Sunday. Good work and thanks!

Now the Rhinos season is over, and I think our last two matches coincided with Rhinos games, we get first choice!

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 17:41
Almo! For crying out loud! I try to pay a compliment and you try to spin it to Rhinos!. Nowt to do with them! All to do with YC. Brilliant effort. And again , thank you twitterer.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 17:43
Quote:
almostatyke
Quote:
Bobba

Now the Rhinos season is over, and I think our last two matches coincided with Rhinos games, we get first choice!

That should tell you how important Carnegie are in the Leeds Rugby hierarchy. Can't anybody see that?

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 18:05
Quote:
Haxbytyke
Quote:
almostatyke
Quote:
Bobba

That should tell you how important Carnegie are in the Leeds Rugby hierarchy. Can't anybody see that?

Thanks Haxby. Good to hear from you again.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
14 October, 2018 18:50
Sorry to rake up an oldish thread, but I have just realised that the Bedford No. 10 who played (very well) against us, Jacob Atkins, is in fact a London Irish player.
So we had no number 10 for this game but the opposition was using a rival Championship club's player as a playmaker to beat us?

Beggars belief.

One day the rfu will sort this mess out, but don't hold your breath.

And guess what, London Irish called Jacob back this weekend, and our relegation rivals (Donny) got a losing bonus point.

I am not suggesting LI are orchestrating the Championship relegation battle here, but it is so sad to see that rfu incompetence has left the door open for that to happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/10/2018 19:11 by almostatyke.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
14 October, 2018 21:26
Doesn't seem right but on the other hand we could start the season with 2 senior flyhalves or a least lend one like everyone else seems too.

LI do show that the gap is massive though. They get hammered in the prem and now walk it most wkends.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
14 October, 2018 21:49
If you think the RFU are incompetent, look at the RFL. They make the RFU look professional.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net