rugbyunion
Latest News:
Saturday 17 November, KO 15:00, Coventry v Yorkshire Carnegie, Butts Park Arena
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

MESSAGES->author
Former Players
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
14 October, 2018 20:11
In attempt to brighten up a fairly negative looking board at the moment pleased to see three former players featuring in Falcons famous victory at Stade Mayol today in the European Champions Cup.

A guy who we did not see much of Tom Arscott was one, but fly half Joel Hodgson kicked critical goals and Buzz managed to get 25 minutes after coming on as a replacement. Well done the Falcons for showing that you can't necessarily always 'buy' a successful team but
you can put the work in to get there.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Former Players
JDH (IP Logged)
14 October, 2018 20:53
Great result for them. Struggling in the league too. Do they still have lockwood and harris?

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
14 October, 2018 21:44
Curtis Wilson, and McColl, (Stevie)?, scored tries for Donny yesterday. Myall and Hampo featured for Wasps. Just saying

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 08:27
Wilson and mccoll had there time. Hampo could probably count his rubgy in minutes these last few seasons. Sat behind Robson and Simpson.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 09:16
Jonah's really starting to show his class at Leicester

MESSAGES->author
Competitive Dad (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 10:42
Will Witty is a former Academy player but transferred to the Falcons when he went to Uni in Newcastle

bspa2
bspa2 (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 11:40
Lockwood is injured and Harris has moved to another Premiership club.

Scuffer
Scuffer (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 14:06
I think Jonah was man of the match last week.

DeceptivePace
DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 11:13
Falcon fan browsing...hope you don't mind.
Lockwood was looking good but got a bad one last season (ruptured Achilles I think.) Ben Harris was injured and was behind Bobby Vickers for the shirt. He went on loan to Wasps which later became a permanent deal.
I had hoped Buzz would really kick on this season after biding his time behind Hogg and Latu. He has only come back into the matchday squad after not playing in any of the pre season games, presumably through injury. It's club policy to not release any details about injuries, hence the uncertainty.
I was at the Toulon game and he certainly stood toe to toe with a big and abrasive home pack and will be right in the mix for game time this season. The sheer physicality of the Prem, along with being back at the big table in Europe will necessitate a full squad effort. Deano may have a rank order in his head for Buzz, Negusa and Chick, but they will need rotation this year more than ever.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 13:28
Cheers DP. Glad to hear Ryan coming back in. Tough job getting into your back row. Hodgson doing the business too!

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 13:30
I liked lockwood. He has an edge like genge.

Farmertyke1
Farmertyke1 (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 15:05
Joel always had a touch of class, but he was never the favourite to get on the team sheet when he was with us. Bizarre really.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 17:52
Spent most of his time at 15 iirc? Like Farmer says, always had class about him.

Scuffer
Scuffer (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 20:02
It was treat to see Buzz come on last week. He really was an outstanding player for us for years and remained loyal when I am sure he could have moved to the Prem earlier in his career. I thought he looked at home at that level last week.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 20:14
Jonah and Buzz both signed 3 year contracts when we changed to Yorkshire. I recall both of them telling me they thought, and hoped, success would come to Headingley as a result of the change. We all know now that didn't work, but they stayed loyal and they are now showing their ability at a higher level. Be good if Jonah made his international debut in the autumn test matches.

COME ON LEEDS.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 20:39
I think Joel Hodgson was always going to go back to Falcons. His initial move was to Saints before he came to Yorkshire and I think he was told go get some more experience elsewhere then we will see. His family have a car dealership in Newcastle area so he was never going to be too far away. (Plus we did not give him a fair chance in my opinion!)

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 20:43
I think that the marketing exercise which was Sir Kev becoming our 10 meant that Joel was always going to be a sideshow.

We obviously backed the wrong horse, in hindsight, though, I suspect behind-the-scenes forces were at work.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 21:21
The Sinfield experiment was a real poor one imo.

Did I read Dan Scarborough is now the Latvia coach?

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 16:25
Unsure if he has gone for good but Will Britton back in Bath side for cup game against Quin's

Davies Wright Walker and Green all featuring

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 19:17
I saw Britton this lunch time at Kirkstall. (Sm55)

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 19:30
Bath have as many out as we do.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 19:49
See dave sisi playing for Zebre now in the second row. Scored a try tonight v Edinburgh

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 19:55
Sadly the cup competitions in both the Premiership and the Championship seem to be this season pretty meaningless.The Premiership "A" league doesn't seem to work so some clubs use the cup matches to promote squad players, others don't.
It disturbs the Championship because d/r players are suddenly withdrawn.

Surely the rfu should sort this out? Or am I overestimating their competence?

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 20:04
Won't happen but as a romantic i loved the powergen cup where big clubs played little clubs and finals day was a cracking day out with 4 finals back to back from junior clubs to intermediate to national to the big boys, pretty sure I went one year and apart from final a Yorkshire club was in the other 3

Alcohol did play a part however

MESSAGES->author
SideStep (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 08:46
Quote:
opuscoitus
Won't happen but as a romantic i loved the powergen cup where big clubs played little clubs and finals day was a cracking day out with 4 finals back to back from junior clubs to intermediate to national to the big boys, pretty sure I went one year and apart from final a Yorkshire club was in the other 3
Alcohol did play a part however

This is very true.
We've missed the powergen cup massively since the stupid change to Anglo Welsh@#$%&we have to put up with.

The first Leeds Tykes child mascot...#leedswasps0203season. #cheersbentos

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 12:38
Too true Side Step, AW cup was a step in the wrong direction. (no pun intended)

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 20:12
Talking for former players - two Peskies were seen trying to tap up our two new Kiwis post match. (Sm20)(Sm95)

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 22:54
Any names?

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 07:48
Someone on the coaching team who holds a try time record and his agent best pal - enough Hints... (Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 08:14
I didn't know Leigh was a player manager. I think the other Lee has enough talent in his backline.

I would have liked to see Andy Bulumaku in a YC mind. Good player.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
04 November, 2018 14:58
Burrows captaining the falcons today and Boyce scrummaging well for quins.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
04 November, 2018 20:33
According to rugby paper Boyce looking at options as since Marler retired from international duty his game time limited.....Wasps appear favourites

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
04 November, 2018 21:14
Three of the four starting props were Headingley products!

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 12:43
Was it Carnegie's Andy Forsyth who was on the bench for Leicester Tigers yesterday?

COME ON LEEDS.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 12:51
[m.rugbynetwork.net]

It appears so

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 13:41
[www.leicestertigers.com]

And here

admittedly ours was a fallow week but none of signings with exception of Umaga would replace forsyth in centres and would have thought keeping players fit would be priority than a guaranteed 1st team player playing in lets face it a similar waste of time cup comp to ours

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 14:36
Obviously Carnegie had kept their fans informed about this, or, more likely, did they keep it quiet hoping nobody would find out? Seems communication and PR are as lax as they ever were.

COME ON LEEDS.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 15:32
information has been much better this season on various platforms, certainly no complaints from me on that score, guess with social media it works both ways

we have had players guesting for other teams in the academy comp already this season and guess this is no different, just hope they stay fit while getting the opportunity

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 18:06
Quote:
Haxbytyke
Was it Carnegie's Andy Forsyth who was on the bench for Leicester Tigers yesterday?

Can only think that it was part of some sort of deal - Tiggers loanee to arrive to bolster our resources?

MESSAGES->author
Madtyke (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 18:54
Leicester might lend us Joe Ford back..

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

Scuffer
Scuffer (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 20:34
Good to see Buzz as the Falcons skipper yesterday and playing great

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 20:48
Quote:
Madtyke
Leicester might lend us Joe Ford back..

(Sm161)

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 21:12
Although he joined Carnegie, in this current spell, from Sale Sharks he was on Tigers books after starting in our Academy!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 21:29
I think Joe is an honest do-your-best player but has fallen just short of Premiership requirements. Having a younger brother playing for England must be frustrating too. In his last spell with Carnegie, I think the lack of kick-chase coaching meant that joe's strengths were not exploited.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 21:31
[www.leicestertigers.com]

Forsyth is in the senior squad line up on the tigers website,

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 21:50
He scores one good try and he has gone!

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
06 November, 2018 07:07
Forsyth going to Tigers is bizarre.

(Sm164)

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
06 November, 2018 07:12
Does say on the tigers blurb for the cup game “there is a place on bench for former tigers centre now with Yorkshire Carnegie”

Maybe a duel registration thingy while tigers centres getting injured with England, does seem odd adding him to squad pic line up however

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
06 November, 2018 09:58
Who knows....

John R
John R (IP Logged)
06 November, 2018 17:02
I don't think we need Joe Ford back again..................

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 12:03
He made the bench again it seems for tomorrow nights game

[www.rugbynetwork.net]

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 12:05
And Josh Bainbridge playing for Bath

[www.rugbynetwork.net]

CONFUSED NOW

[www.somersetlive.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 12:09 by opuscoitus.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 12:30
What a complete farce. We have a home cup game, (admittedly not at home), yet 'our' players (?) are playing for somebody else. I think the club should come clean about the whys and wherefores of all this, or, as I suspect, are they once again keeping the supporters in the dark.
Anybody who thinks a couple of posts on here from CS constitute improved communication, in my opinion they are very much mistaken. Sadly, we have heard it all before.

COME ON LEEDS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 13:35 by Haxbytyke.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 12:59
Maybe just giving all as much game time as possible in preparation for the next batch of league games

Both lads know all moves lineouts etc so loan em out let newbies play full 80 to get to grips with calls etc

Just hope they stay fit,

Communication on Twitter Instagram etc has been better, no doubt when team announced on Friday loan moves maybe mentioned

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 14:05
Pretty much what I thought Opus.

I guess a lot of new players will be getting the game time in the cup so maybe using this to keep the established guys sharp. As has already been said though, it's just that risk of injury!

Twitter Comms have improved but could still be better, the odd 'like' here and there to at least acknowledge the supporters would be welcomed.

York City Knights have created a real buzz around their club on social media, admittedly helped by their on field success, but the way they use Twitter to interact with their supporters is a benchmark which could be learned from imho.

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 15:41
Interact with the fans? You'll be giving Phil Daly a heart attack! (Sm126)

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 15:45
Quote:
leemingtyke
I guess a lot of new players will be getting the game time in the cup so maybe using this to keep the established guys sharp. As has already been said though, it's just that risk of injury!

Twitter Comms have improved but could still be better, the odd 'like' here and there to at least acknowledge the supporters would be welcomed.

York City Knights have created a real buzz around their club on social media, admittedly helped by their on field success, but the way they use Twitter to interact with their supporters is a benchmark which could be learned from imho.

Over the last few years, the term engaging with the fans is not something Carnegie are familiar with. Be interesting to see if any statements are made re players playing elsewhere now this is in the open, although I doubt it. Like you say, York City Knights have a fantastic relationship with their supporters. Their crowds are increasing, and match days have a real sense of occasion about them.

COME ON LEEDS.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 17:39
Interesting piece about Max Green here.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 13:17
Excellent article. Nice spot Albert.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net