rugbyunion
Latest News:
Saturday 17 November, KO 15:00, Coventry v Yorkshire Carnegie, Butts Park Arena
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

MESSAGES->author
Jonah Holmes
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 12:05
Jonah's recent performances for the Tigers has not gone unnoticed!

He has been called up by Wales for the autumn series apparently eligible due to a Welsh grandparent.

Onwards and upwards Jonah 'Once a Tyke always a Tyke'!!!

MESSAGES->author
Re: Jonah Holmes
JDH (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 13:26
Great news. I think he one of those players that when surrounded by talent just gets better and raises the level! I can see his running game suiting international rugby

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 20:32
Great to see Jonah recognised - as we did, he was always something special on the wing.

I presume he sees no possible England call-up so a Welsh one is to be grabbed, without doubt. However, if he is now not England qualified, his club may have to play an alternative, inferior, player to keep their rfu subsidy. I interpret this as meaning he would realistically have to go to play for one of the four Welsh regions, but a nice problem to have!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 17:29
BBC sport article, and Johan saying nice things about J-Lo:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

"Wish we had him back"

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 17:35
I would have both back!

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 20:01
No point in crying over spilt milk. If previous decisions by management had been different in the recent past, perhaps, just perhaps, we may have retained the talent that has left us. In the meantime, good look to all of them and, hopefully, in hopefully better times in the future, some may consider playing for us again. Time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 03:24
It's easy to point to the Carnegie produced talent currently lighting up the Premiership and imagine how much better we'd be if they were still here.

But, imho

They have only become the players they are because they got out of the Carnegie environment.

There's something wrong with the environment at Carnegie, a lack of professionalism or something, but it's been like that for several years now.

I've mentioned it many times before, actually had a bit of grief for it on here in the past, which is fair enough. Bryan Redpath acknowledged it but couldn't do anything about it and Chris Stirling has also hinted at it in recent interviews. Wholesale changes in personnel are difficult to manage but we need to bring the right characters in that will positively influence the rest of the squad.

Imho, which I realise no-one asked for!

Nosnibor
Nosnibor (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 08:24
I have the same feeling Leeming. Players seem to be diminished when they come here somehow and thrive when they go (I don't include Jonah in that number - he was great while he was here!).

For some time our team has been less than the sum of its parts. At the same time other teams with unheralded, lesser known, semi-pro players tend to play above themselves.

Is it a lack of a true club identity and ethos? Who knows?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/10/2018 08:26 by Nosnibor.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 11:37
Less than the sum of of its parts is the nail on head Nos. I always thought coaches effected that but we have never managed too for a long time.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 14:19
I really don't know Nos, quite possibly.

I wouldn't mind betting, though, that the players who have done well for us and gone on to better things (like Jonah, Alex etc) are the ones who are disciplined enough to set their own standards and stick to them, even when those around them aren't. Doing the right thing even when no-ones looking.

I see quite a few posts on here absolving the players of any blame for our plight over successive seasons. 'Not through any lack of effort from the players' etc, but they play a huge role in setting the "culture" (god, I hate that word). They, as much as the coaches, set the acceptable standard. And I just wonder?

Nosnibor
Nosnibor (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 17:04
I remember what I think was Jonah's first game for us away at Castle Park. He'd come from the Wasps setup and seemed to be the only one who was properly switched on. He appeared to be organising the other backs positionally from the wing. It's something that stuck with me.

Farmertyke1
Farmertyke1 (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 17:12
Interesting that Jonah says that he nearly gave up rugby when he was at Wasps and that J Lo rekindled his interest. Leeming is right, some players are going to do better at some clubs and vice versa. It is like any other job, some people flourish and others do not.
I think to lay all the problems at the feet of the management is not entirely fair.
You could argue that the academy consistently turns out good young players who then get snaffled up by the premiership clubs and go on to better things. That is down to the fact we are not in the Premiership and those clubs can offer far more money.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 17:23
Rhinos have also underperformed this season - perhaps there is a curse at the rebuilt Kirkstall Training Ground?
Or we could be over-reacting in these worrying times.
There is such a huge gap in quality between the Premiership and Championship, that players who leave us for hopefully better things have mixed fortunes. OK Jonah and Lozzer have excelled but are we saying that Glaws got the best out of Kirsty? Or Wasps out of Hampo? Some make the quantum leap and some don't.

For every success there are probably a couple of failures and a couple of players who become, a la Buzz, premiership squad players.

IMHO it is not down to any lack of spirit at Carnegie.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 17:37
Now, Kirsty is a particularly good example of what I'm talking about.

He suffered a hand injury at Carnegie and his weight absolutely ballooned. How on earth did that happen to a "professional" sportsman?

He goes to Gloucester and within months is trimmer than he ever was with us because he's in a proper professional environment.

He didn't make the grade in the Premiership but that's not the point.

I don't think there's a lack of spirit at Carnegie Almo, but I do think there's a shocking lack of professionalism.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 18:52
Could be right there. That could have been grown from the lack of ambition by the club over the past few years. Never really challenging but happy enough in the champ. Everything been too easy. Standards slip away without you even noticing, then you are found wanting when a new coach comes in and wants the bar raising in line with the clubs plans of pushing on.
Prime example is 2 poor preseasons with regards to games. How serious are you taking it only playing 1 friendly. All contributes to poor standards. Which are difficult to get back. It's the only thing I can think of why they have consistently underperformed so so long. You cannot hide from not putting in an 80 mins performance for 2 years!
Stirling has the right credentials to change things.

With regards to players setting their own standards regardless of what's happening around them, Hendre Fourie. Legend.

John R
John R (IP Logged)
24 October, 2018 16:40
Having had a very brief discussion with Chris Sterling after the Open Forum, I believe that we will have a proper pre-season ahead of next season with 'quality' opposition.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net