rugbyunion
Latest News:
Saturday 17 November, KO 15:00, Coventry v Yorkshire Carnegie, Butts Park Arena
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

MESSAGES->author
Two men in white coats.....
almostatyke (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 17:35
ÖÖÖÖÖ might be applicable for anyone who decided to follow the team away this Saturday at Coventry.

I admit I will be looking out for any ambulances entering our street, but have decided to go.

Anyone else brave enough?

(Sm105)

FrostM
Re: Two men in white coats.....
FrostM (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 18:45
Considering itís a local match to me and not a 350 mile round trip I should be cheering

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 11:40
Almo - if you want the men in white coats to test your decisions, fair enough but that's for you. What other people do or don't do does not warrant they any questioning of whether they are (mentally) fit or not to do so.

I am going - for the day out (fresh air after being tied to a desk all week) and company as well as the rugby (good or bad).

See you there FrostM.

headingleytyke
headingleytyke (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 12:31
I will be there only 17 miles from the ground

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 15:13
Looking forward to seeing you all here - the more the merrier.

Please try to get to the ground more than a few minutes before kickoff. There's often a queue at the gates (or the ticket hut) close to kickoff.

You can get a couple of quid off your tickets by booking in advance - ring the office on 02476 231001 - full details on the Coventry Rugby website.

We do have decent, good value food before the matches, inside in the main clubhouse under the grandstand.

Parking is chargeable - but it's only a short walk from the railway station for htose who come by train.

Post any questions here - I'll keep an eye out and try to answer them.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 16:26
Thanks Nick.

First question: Are our old favourites Charlie Beech and Phil Nilson likely to play?

Q2: Is the seated Stand the only area of the ground under cover, i.e. if it is raining is it possible to stand and keep dry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/10/2018 16:42 by almostatyke.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
24 October, 2018 07:06
Quote:
almostatyke
Thanks Nick.
First question: Are our old favourites Charlie Beech and Phil Nilson likely to play?

Q2: Is the seated Stand the only area of the ground under cover, i.e. if it is raining is it possible to stand and keep dry?

Q1 Charlie and Phil - almost certainly yes.

Phil has started 6/8, coming on as a replacement for Scott Tolmie in the other two. (Scott is on the reverse figures - between them they have covered every match at 2). Phil also captained a couple of weeks back when both the regular choices were unavailable. Apart from playing, he's now training as a paramedic.

Charlie less certain, but probable. He's played in 8/8, but only been a starter in 3 of them. He's benefited as Phil Boulton has been suspended, but as we have just signed a new prop (Biyi Ayo) this week either he, Luc Jeannot, or most likely Jack Higgins may get displaced and rested this week.

Q2 The stand is the only place to shelter properly if it rains.This season we are charging extra for the stand. I shall be getting wet. There is a small standing shelter on the far side of the ground made up of shipping containers, which getrs pretty busy when its wet. The forecast for Saturday is at worst some light showers. If you do go for the stand and it's wet, go for the fifth row or further up, as the front few rows do get wet.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
24 October, 2018 18:46
Quote:
OldNick

Q2 The stand is the only place to shelter properly if it rains.This season we are charging extra for the stand. I shall be getting wet.

Thanks for your answers Nick, BTW you would qualify for a Yorkshire supporter on this basis!

(Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
25 October, 2018 07:18
Quote:
almostatyke
Quote:
OldNick

Q2 The stand is the only place to shelter properly if it rains.This season we are charging extra for the stand. I shall be getting wet.

Thanks for your answers Nick, BTW you would qualify for a Yorkshire supporter on this basis!

(Sm100)

Thanks (I think). No, I have a seat in the grandstand, but I'm one of the club's photographers. It has to be very wet to get me to retire to the stand.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
25 October, 2018 07:24
OK Guys and Gals, are we going to stand or sit?

yeldor
yeldor (IP Logged)
25 October, 2018 08:47
Stand .Standing if you get my drift..

sent off carried off never backed off

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
25 October, 2018 09:09
Forecast is for under a 10% chance of light rain.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 11:13
Coventry Rugby:

15 Tony Fenner
14 Junior Bulumakau - promoted from bench
13 Andy Bulumakau - returns from concussion
12 Heath Stevens (c) - Moves inside
11 Max Trimble
10 Will Maisey - replaces Jake Sharp
9 Tom Kessell - swaps with Pete White from bench

1 James Gibbons
2 Phil Nilsen
3 Luc Jeannot
4 Dan Faleafa - moves up from 6
5 George Oram
6 Adam Peters - returns from bench
7 Jack Ram - returns from knee injury
8 Ben Nutley - returns from 7

Replacements:
16 Scott Tolmie
17 Charlie Beech
18 Biyi Alo - club debut
19 Cameron Gray - replaces Tom Jubb
20 Latu Makaafi - replaces Ben Adams
21 Pete White - Swaps bench with Tom Kessell
Sam Tuitupou - Swaps bench with Junior Bulumakau

Hornchurch
Hornchurch (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 13:35
Thank you Nick for the information. To be honest we did not even think about booking so you have done us a favour.

Two standing tickets for Yeldor and I waiting at the booking office.

Looking forward to seeing you all but obviously Phil and hopefully Charlie play.

We always had a soft spot for Phil.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 19:04
I will be standing, in support of Yeldor and Hornchurch and if anyone I do not know wants to chat (or even a free pint???), please do. Instead of a red carnation I will resort to that old Carnegie favourite: the hi-glo hat.

#girlsontour where will you be?

(Sm78)

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 19:10
Only 50% of us - standing

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 19:48
Look forward to a good chat!

(Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 18:01
Did we play and better? New guys good?

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 19:11
No and no! I only watched on tv but it was same old, same old. Our new fly half put his first penalty kick to the corner behind the corner flag. Lineout was poor, passes were dropped, and we were second best of two poor sides. Perhaps the lack of comments on the game on here says it all.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 19:34
Twitter mentioned a lot of pens and mistakes.

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 19:39
Yes and 6 seems to be. Unsure about #10 as heavily strapped and Pete doing some duties. Defence much better.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 19:42
I suppose they now have 6 weeks to get something organised.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 19:46
I suppose everybody is happy with a losing bonus point at Coventry? If today was any better than what has gone before, then we must have been dire earlier in the season, because we were poor today!

COME ON LEEDS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/10/2018 19:48 by Haxbytyke.

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 20:13
Much better than most of the season.

Scuffer
Scuffer (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 20:43
Hax the performance against Coventry was better than what has been served up so far this season believe it or not. It is just so incredibly frustrating to see the elementary mistakes particularly when we are in a promising attacking position. Itís really hard to understand why it happens so often. Pete Lucock said after the game that the skills are lacking.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 20:55
Obviously nobody is happy with a point at Coventry!

Sounds worrying if players saying skills are lacking mind. As if you don't have them at there age and there time in the game maybe you don't have them?

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 21:16
Quote:
Scuffer
Hax the performance against Coventry was better than what has been served up so far this season believe it or not. It is just so incredibly frustrating to see the elementary mistakes particularly when we are in a promising attacking position. Itís really hard to understand why it happens so often. Pete Lucock said after the game that the skills are lacking.

If that is the case Scuffer, we are in deep, deep brown stuff! We have been making the same basic errors season after season, and nobody seems capable of sorting it out. Today's result means we have actually dropped even further behind Hartpury at the bottom of the league. I saw absolutely nothing today that said we had a big enough shovel to dig our way out of this. For the last two seasons we have gone downhill faster than Franz Clammer.

COME ON LEEDS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/10/2018 21:39 by Haxbytyke.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 21:41
I agree the mistakes have been here for a long long time. The whole club have a massive job turning this around. Just looked at the fixtures up to mid March and they are hard!

Unfortunately losing is a difficult habit to break.

Tough times alright. Very tough

Scuffer
Scuffer (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 22:09
My worry is that we are in essence recruiting a new team half way through the season when we are bottom of the league. I still donít quite get why the recruitment didnít take place in the off season because I havenít heard about any new money coming into the club since so we must have just been trying to muddle through this season with what we had. Trying to integrate a bunch of new players at this stage of the season is tough and with no guarantee of success but I just hope we can turn it round. Weíre in a total mess and itís been spiralling downwards for some time.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 22:33
Stirling and the coaching team have got there work cut out that's for sure.

I think the money is only available now due to the major backer restructuring his business. Whether this was triggered by the poor start I don't know but it's hardly ideal.

They didn't have the money to spend thats why over the past seasons the squad has got poorer and poorer. As you say trying to muddle through and not realising they had fallen behind most of the champ as it turns out. Unfortunately so has the performance level and everything at goes into getting that performance right.

I suppose this is where CS needs to do the business!

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 22:54
Oh how we could do with that "ringfenced" £5M right now!

Scuffer
Scuffer (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 23:25
CS gives me confidence in the way that he talks in his interviews but we need some wins and sharpish. We need some ambition and confidence. We shouldnít be muddling through but challenging the best In the league. Weíre not Wallasey Rugby Club where Iím from playing in a lowly division with no realistic hope of progression. We want to get back up there with the best I hope. Sadly weíre heading in the other direction at the moment.

Time Trial
Time Trial (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 06:26
I watched on TV and saw some positives; real commitment, good line breaks from Lucock and Forsyth, parity in the scrum. Some good off-loading from Kiri Kiri. Both new guys did really well considering they got off a flight on Wednesday.Team kept pressing and could have nicked it at the end. Itís not all bad but I have to agree we were masters of our own misery today though. Couple of lost line outs, couple of penalties kicked dead, dropped ball in key positions. I think with a bit of confidence things will improve dramatically and I suspect the new guys will bring that.

Farmertyke1
Farmertyke1 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 07:37
Did not see the game but am happy to go with Timetrial's synopsis.
However struggling to understand why the line out is so poor. Could it be the fact that Richard Beck is injured. He has been pivotal in this role for a number of seasons now.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 13:53
I spoke to "inside-knowledge" briefly before the game and suggested that bringing in two jet-lagged Kiwis and expecting them to turn the game round was a tall order and he said that the team would be fully committed and it was all about incremental improvements.

I think that Chris' objectives were achieved, but a shame we couldn't get more out of the game against pretty ordinary opposition.

Nosnibor
Nosnibor (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 13:54
I also watched on TV and think Time Trail's analysis is spot on.

The new players and the confidence that'll come with having them here will be the key to turning this around. I liked what I saw of Kiri Kiri. Amazing effort from a guy who only flew in on Wed. CS has my vote as the man to sort this out and push on.

TBH I'm more energised by the prospect of a relegation battle and seeing a new team emerge than I would've been seeing us bumbling our way to mid-table mediocrity.

Exciting times. Onwards and upwards!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 14:07
Quote:
Nosnibor

TBH I'm more energised by the prospect of a relegation battle and seeing a new team emerge than I would've been seeing us bumbling our way to mid-table mediocrity.

I like it!

(Sm134)

Nosnibor
Nosnibor (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 15:10
The sun's shining and I'm having an optimistic day Almo smileys with beer

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 15:17
And Gel will be pleased.

(Sm100)

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 16:06
I'm with Nos on this one. We draw a line in the sand and then battle upwards. Let us see how high up the table we can finish.

(Sm134)

John R
John R (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 18:21
First target is 11th...............

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 18:22
Good call Nos!

Nosnibor
Nosnibor (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 21:53
Glad we're all on more or less on the same page here. I'm not bothered by results this side of Christmas as long as we're going in the right direction. Let's face it. We can't really get any lower! at least not this season :-)

Time to get behind the team.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net