rugbyunion
Latest News:

MESSAGES->author
Autumn Internationals
almostatyke (IP Logged)
03 November, 2018 20:42
Strictly speaking England's game against SA was one week short of the international break, meaning the opposition was a player or two down as they were not released by their clubs (who pay their wages).
Great to see England back to winning ways, especially with so many injuries, but a 12 - 11 victory at home with no tries meant that the game was always in the balance of referee's decisions and goal kicking accuracy.
A win is a win but surprised that SA did not go for a drop goal at the end.

We need to take newly-gained confidence forward to the All Blacks game next weekend. Should be a cracker.

(Sm134)

I wasn't born in Yorkshire but I got here as soon as I could

MESSAGES->author
Re: Autumn Internationals
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
04 November, 2018 04:04
South Africa only have themselves to blame for that defeat.

They should've been home and dry long before that shocking refereeing decision.

Farmertyke1
Farmertyke1 (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 09:37
Agreed Leeming, I thought England were poor . Never looked like scoring a try but by the way they all celebrated at the end you would think they had won the World Cup.
I think a lot of refs would have given a penalty for Farrellís tackle.
Having watched the exciting league game on Sunday hitís like that were the norm. Is there a disparity growing between the codes as to what is acceptable.

leeds_shark
WPL (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 11:20
I called the no arms bit in realtime so I was not surprised it was reviewed - I am surprised at the decision of no penalty, especially in the current climate! Would they have scored from it, who knows, good way out and close to the touchline.

I did feel I was watching us play at one point as SA missed their man on 3 lineouts on our 5m line - cannot afford to do that at international level.

Positives to me was that we ground out a win, it feels a while since we have done that. Yes SA were missing some of their players including de Klerk who might have made the difference.

Negatives...I wasn't that inspired by it all and thought SA lost rather than we won

Personally I think we will be lucky not to get hammered by the All Blacks, should beat Japan (hope I don't regret saying that) and then to me it all comes down to the Australia game to determine if it is a good AI international series or not for England

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 15:28
Having watched the Wales Scotland game on iplayer, I think both of them looked more comfortable with ball in hand than England, whose passing looked laboured at times.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 21:47
It is a patched together eng team though.

I thought the Farrell tackle was ok. Very difficult to rap both arms if your heads on the wrong side. It was a big hit chest high.

In the eng v nz RL test there were multiple hits like that.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 03:28
We took a marginal decision last week so we have to take a marginal decision this week. We could still have won it even then if we'd kept our heads.

Great England performance though.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
24 November, 2018 17:08
A great series from an England point of view IMHO.

Should've beaten the All Blacks but were very lucky against South Africa so won 3 lost 1 a fair reflection.

England Player of the tournament for me.... Mark Wilson from up the road. Billy's got some serious competition.

Roll on the Six Nations then the World Cup.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
24 November, 2018 23:22
England have turned there fortunes around. Some serious strength in depth.
Wilson has been good but billy gets in any team imo.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 05:53
For me, one thing this series of Autumn Internationals has shown is that at the top level you need to play people in their normal positions.

I'm really hoping this is the end of the Ford at 10 Farrell at 12 experiment. Farrell has shown beyond all doubt that he should start at 10 with Ford or Cipriani as back-up from the bench. He is a truly world class player who plays right on the edge sometimes venturing a toe, or perhaps more accurately a shoulder, over. But he makes the right decisions time and time again and his performance level never dips below 8 out of 10. And this is before you've even mentioned his kicking.

Nowell at 13 didn't work and neither did Lozowski at 12. I think Eddie Jones needs to seriously consider why he has Alex in the squad; is it as a 10, the position which brought him to prominence, or a 13 where he earns his living for Saracens. Shoe-horning him in at 12 against Japan did neither the team nor the player any good and the international career of a hugely talented player is in the balance as a result of the kiss of death 'utility' label.

Even Elliot Daly at fullback, despite moments of attacking genius, has looked uncomfortable at 15 having prowled the wide channel with distinction for the Lions in New Zealand.

Fullback seems to be England's problem position. Watson and Daly are good going forward but defensively susceptible, Brown the opposite. With Alex Goode seemingly un-selectable in Eddie Jones mind there is a high profile situation vacant as we head in to a World Cup year.

Such a shame then that Warren Gatland beat Eddie to the punch by selecting Jonah Holmes for Wales. I am admittedly biased but it seems this situation is crying out for a player of Jonahs ability and this series would have been the ideal opportunity to have a look at him.

An enthralling series though, bringing an overwhelmingly positive end to a distinctly dodgy year for England. We can now look forward to the Six Nations and the World Cup with renewed optimism, it seems England under Jones are in good health.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/11/2018 05:54 by leemingtyke.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 11:39
From the highlights programme it was good to see a far better performance from England. Whilst I think Farrell is a brilliant player, I have for a while now, felt that some of his tackling is tantamount to an assault. Yesterday, another no arms, shoulder tackle. He needs to take eliminate that out of his game otherwise he could cost the team dearly!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 11:49
Quote:
Bobba
Whilst I think Farrell is a brilliant player, I have for a while now, felt that some of his tackling is tantamount to an assault. Yesterday, another no arms, shoulder tackle. He needs to take eliminate that out of his game otherwise he could cost the team dearly!

I agree, and I think he'll have to now. Referees will be on the look out for it now.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 13:22
The woman doing the bbc highlights commentary is awful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net