rugbyunion
Latest News:
Saturday 24 November, KO 12:00, Yorkshire Carnegie v Doncaster Knights, Hull Ionians
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

MESSAGES->author
Why we are called Yorkshire
almostatyke (IP Logged)
06 November, 2018 20:39
I admit that the name change from Leeds to Yorkshire has been very controversial. As a Leeds resident and by default a Yorkshire resident, I suppose, it is not a big deal to me. However, I was not born in Yorkshire, so who am I to comment? I respect views both ways.

At the recent "Meet the fans" event, the club made it clear that the Yorkshire name was here to stay, and a big part of the logic was that the club wants to be the natural place for aspiring talented youngsters to come to, even if they live in South, North or East Yorkshire.

So some good news:

[www.yorkshirecarnegie.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 20:41 by almostatyke.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Why we are called Yorkshire
JDH (IP Logged)
06 November, 2018 22:46
I think it about living up to the name and what it brings. Something we have failed to do so far.

I know investment wise they say Yorkshire is better, mainly quoting the past deal with Satsuma. I suppose you would only know if it is easier to attract money if you are on the board.

Fan base wise I really don't think the Yorkshire name has improved it. I think Leeds got support from all areas of the county when we were in the top flight.

I would knock the on road on the head too. Waste of time imo. The team would be better getting game time at Headingley. How can playing away from home for 6 weeks be any good for the team? CS says little increments. Well for me this one. Play at home. Home is Headingley. If you want a team to gel and make HC a fortress, PLAY THERE. ESPECIALLY NEXT SEASON.

Unlikely they would back track on the name though. If we were any good of course I suppose the name would be less of a talking point? If the big picture comes to fruition and we can do the name justice... well we are all happy!

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
07 November, 2018 19:52
We are named "Yorkshire", because, for the price of £300k the club sold our name to Satsuma who are a Provident Finance subsidiary based in Bradford, who refused to back Leeds, unless we changed our name. Nothing whatsoever to do with Geech's vision. If in any doubt ask our Chairman. I had a long conversation about this with him down at Newlyn.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
07 November, 2018 20:41
Either way Bobba, Geech's vision, and the name change have been spectacular failures. If you don't believe me.look at the league table.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

MESSAGES->author
Zandra LaPoI (IP Logged)
07 November, 2018 20:49
The Newcastle Falcons draw from all areas. They even pick up from Scotch Corner on their away coach travel for games south of the Tyne.

Scotch Corner is about 10 mins from me in Catterick, so North YORKSHIRE.

Apart from the fact the cheeky @#$%& are hunting in our Territory, they, as we do, have fans all over the north, not just in Newcastle, yet are still known as Newcastle.

At the time I welcomed our name change as I thought it was being done in the best interests of the Club. Now, I am not so sure.

We are, and always will be, Leeds Tykes. I so wish we could go back to being Leeds.

For me, I have rediscovered my love of the 'Round Ball' game and am enjoying watching Leeds again. I love Leeds, love being from Leeds and bloody love having the Leeds name on the shirts I wear!

Might pop back when Cov visit, just to keep my short collection up to date!!

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
07 November, 2018 21:19
Totally agree Haxby. The sale of the name for peanuts, or any amount for that matter, in my view, is unforgivable.

And, Zandra, very nicely said. Thank you!

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 00:11
I like Leeds Utd fans that find there love again once they start winning... but thats another story.

Do Satsuma still put money in now? Is there anything actually stopping us going back to Leeds?

MESSAGES->author
Zandra LaPoI (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 07:28
JDH, I actually started going again last year when they were utterly shite, including a cold Friday night in April at Villa Park.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 13:58
JHD. As far as I'm aware Satsuma or Provident have no involvement with us. So again, as far as I'm aware, there is no reason why the club should not bring back Leeds into its name.Don't get me wrong, as far as the academy is concerned, I don't have a problem with tat remaining as the Yorkshire Academy. The club however was formed out of the merger of two old Leeds Clubs of long standing and the name should reflect that merger.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 14:16
There is always

West Leeds
Leeds Corinthians
Leeds Modernians
West park Leeds
Leodensians....a bit obscure

and im sure others if your that desperate for a union club with Leeds in the name,(Sm100)

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 15:32
There is always one!(Sm122)

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 15:37
One of the problems that I have with our club is that we chop and change names and colours at an alarming rate. Blue, white and gold were our original colours, then greern & white, now blue and white. I still have blue white and gold kit which I will not change. We are still a relatively young club but have failed to establish any foundations for tradition. Fortunately we now have a new stadium which has quietened the "let's make a break from Headingley" brigade for a while.

(Sm124)

Selby Kev
Selby Kev (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 16:08
Always identified with Leeds Tykes-the roll of the drum-and the chants from the crowds behind the maul....united voice...mostly all missing now?

"Yorkshire" as part of name/title promised to pull County wide talent-I was originally sympathetic......but realise now its more about consistent performance 'on the field' than geography and aspiration...all empty commerce-speak??

Understand commercial reasons-but fans identifying with team name/brand IS a commercial reason. I would rather revert to old name...but if this present awkward mouth full is retained then a strong nick name is required like All Blacks-black kit with blue and yellow trim?

But ideally-revert to old name-old colours-strong brand. Will they ever listen...perhaps they never will? Was that a Cat Stevens song???

Need to show some big difference on Sat??

Come on ye Tykes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nosnibor
Nosnibor (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 17:50
I think you'll find it was Don McLean Kev

Selby Kev
Selby Kev (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 18:41
Thats my music bonus @#$%&!! McClean it was...Vincent...and what a magic song it was. Leeds (YC) need some of that magic on Sat!!Good lines for Leeds supporters-eh..."how they suffered for their sanity?"....

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 20:54
As I said in my opening post on this thread, I am pretty neutral on the name change. But I would like to put another idea forward.
In France lots of clubs are named after the stadium in which they play (e.g. stade francais).
If we changed our name to Headingley it would not only be the name of our ground but also the name of one of the two founder clubs. Everyone knows where Headingley is because of the cricket connection.
I suspect we need another name change at this time like we need a hole in the head, but food for thought, perhaps.

Tassigny74
Tassigny74 (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 21:27
Fortunately we now have a new stadium which has quietened the "let's make a break from Headingley" brigade for a while.

Quietened maybe, but not changed there minds i suspect. Headingley is too big and will never be ours. For what its worth.

Leeds , Green/white/Black hoops. Community stadium.
Chief exec who isn't part time / proven Ru failure / shareholder in a rival company. Realistic plan rather than get into the prem and it'll all come good, repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 22:01
My eyesight is not what it was, but I have not seen a community stadium anywhere in Yorkshire, though they are common in France. As Leeds Council put no money into the Headingley stadium redevelopment (although they have a role as a guarantor), they are hardly going to be splashing the cash with a club that makes itself intentionally homeless.

Tassigny74
Tassigny74 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:30
Nip up to York almo there building one, believe one planned for Sheffield too. When i said community i meant facilities being used by the wider community not referring to council owned. There's no reason this couldn't of been done privately over the years using the literally millions of pounds the club has spent.

In fact almo try looking at local amateur sports clubs you will find many if not most hire there facilities to other groups. Like my local Ru club is used by tennis and athletics too. Helps attract gov't funding , earns extra income etc.

Happy to help.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:55
Thanks for explaining what you meant T74.

However, that would mean giving up Premiership dreams. The York "Community" stadium is limited to 8000 spectators I note.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 22:13
Ah! Once again our Premiership ambitions rears its head up once again! Almost, perhaps you could explain at what point of the three year plan that is likely to happen and, for that matter, which three year plan do you have in mind?

Tassigny74
Tassigny74 (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 10:13
Quote:
almostatyke
Thanks for explaining what you meant T74.
However, that would mean giving up Premiership dreams. The York "Community" stadium is limited to 8000 spectators I note.

That's true Almo, but i would suggest premiership dreams remain just that a dream. Untill we have competent management and regular and growing revenue any premiership push will be built on sand.
As a club we need to lay some strong foundations
Or we will just be going around in circles, boom-bust.
It might take 20 years of hard work but its our only chance of building a successful, sustainable club capable of competing at the highest level.

Grybz
Grybz (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 12:43
I’m not convinced the argument that the change to Yorkshire holds much water, surely being successful on the pitch and in the top flight would be more attractive than having any name change? If someone has ambitions to play top flight rugby and was ofered an academy place would they necessarily accept just because it was Yorkshire rather than Leeds? If the name is a barrier why not scrap the whole geographical reference and just name the club “The Tykes” for example? Not an altogether unreasonable idea, given other clubs such as Wasps, Saracens and Harlequins perhaps.

John R
John R (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 14:48
I refer to an earlier post of mine under a different heading.

Looking at the importing of those from the other side of the world, I speculated that a new name such as Yorkshire All Blacks may come to fruition...............................

Come on the YABS........................!!!

Coat on....

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
14 November, 2018 09:18
It will take more than a Yorkshire blood transfusion or two before any of the imports could be regarded as Yorkshiremen!

Grybz
Grybz (IP Logged)
14 November, 2018 19:39
If they perform well and get us out of the @#$%& we are in at the presnt they can call themselves what they like as far as I am concerned! And if Gareth Southgate and Gary Barlow can be made honorary Yorkshiremen if Stirlo can get us into the top flight I reckon he should be granted the same honour!

Ok, if not “the Tykes” how about “the Tykiwis” as that would be a bit more geographically correct?!!!!!!!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
15 November, 2018 14:32
Grybz, did you just say Gary Barlow was an honorary Yorkshireman?

For the love of Geoff Boycott

Why!

Grybz
Grybz (IP Logged)
15 November, 2018 19:06
According to the BBC yesterday he is! I was horrified, I nearly spat my mouthful of Taylor’s of Harrogate’s finest all over the place!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net