rugbyunion
Latest News:
Saturday 29 December, KO 14:15 (new time) Doncaster Knights v Yorkshire Carnegie, Castle Park
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

MESSAGES->author
To Hull and Back
almostatyke (IP Logged)
24 November, 2018 19:58
The actual game:
Excellent performance today, pack so dominant that almost all Carnegie scrums were penalties to us, plus some on their put-in. This caused both Donny players and moaning spectators to get seriously annoyed.
Good lineout, tackling and play generally. Room for improvement? Our players were constantly goaded by Donny and at the end, with the game already won, ill disclipline meant we went down to 14 then 13. Only then did Donny score.
An excellent game in really good conditions that even the Donny supporters couldn't ruin.

[EDIT] I know we have a lot of posters who do not like the "on the road" games. Today's cup game was absolutely excellently hosted by Hull Ionians and a much better experience than a tumble-weed Headingley would ever be. However, I believe that a mistake was made in playing opponents whose fans found it closer and easier to get to than our own. Can fans' forum members take this forward please?
Still got "every time" and "Carnegie were offside for all of the first half" ringing in my ears. Perhaps next Donny "home" match in Ingleton?

(Sm100)

I wasn't born in Yorkshire but I got here as soon as I could

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/11/2018 20:16 by almostatyke.

wildwillie
Re: To Hull and Back
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
24 November, 2018 20:40
(Sm126)

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
24 November, 2018 21:14
Quote:
almostatyke

[EDIT] I know we have a lot of posters who do not like the "on the road" games. Today's cup game was absolutely excellently hosted by Hull Ionians and a much better experience than a tumble-weed Headingley would ever be. However, I believe that a mistake was made in playing opponents whose fans found it closer and easier to get to than our own. Can fans' forum members take this forward please?
?

(Sm100)

A complete joke. A home game over 40 miles away with a noon kick off. No consideration for the fans at all, but typical of how the fans are treated. How many Leeds fans actually went, I guess there may have been more from Donny? Like it or not, Headingley is home. Of course we will reap the benefit when all the fans from Hull come to watch Carnegie in future. Or maybe not!!

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

inside-knowledge
inside-knowledge (IP Logged)
24 November, 2018 21:40
Solid review

Hull were outstanding hosts

Thanks for your support. We were ok, my expectations are higher, we are better than we were
Performance scale 6 out of 10

Nosnibor
Nosnibor (IP Logged)
24 November, 2018 23:14
I agree that Hull were very welcoming hosts. Thanks to everyone involved in the organisation. I'm not a great fan of the 'On the road' thing, but I did have a grand afternoon out. The experience was much better than a quiet Headingley. Winning 1st prize in the raffle was a bonussmiling smiley

It was great to see what Chris and his team are building first hand. I hope there is more to come as the new guys settle in. There were promising signs from the pack. The work rate and commitment from Kiri Kiri and Temm, in particular, was teriffic. We're looking like a side with some skill for a change. We also seem to be showing a harder edge which is good to see. I think we've been too nice for too long.

Only fly in the ointment was the one-eyed 'banter' directed at the officials from a minority of Donny fans who were old enough to know better. It crossed the line into unpleasantness IMHO. Pity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/11/2018 23:19 by Nosnibor.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 06:40
Twas ever thus. If I go to Castle Park it's for the food and ale.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 08:54
Quote:
Albert Fishwick
Twas ever thus. If I go to Castle Park it's for the food and ale.

But normally we lose at Castle Park. Because we were winning easily (23 - 3 at half time) some Donny fans showed a side I have not seen before.

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 09:17
If the Donny fans were complaining then we must have been doing something right. Roll on Dec 29th.

(Sm138)

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2 (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 10:14
My twitter review was “sun, a win and a very nice burger”

Enjoyed the day, it’s a nice ground, we had some banter with the Donny fans, but we can all be guilty of being “one-eyed” at times so I didn’t see any issue there.

I think Donny will take a bit of heart from their late tries, and will be more of a a challenge next week. I think/hope we will be able to deal with that.

And for those of you who don’t like “on the road” we are back at Headingley on 15th........ it will be good to see you then.......

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 11:32
Good to see a win away from "home". Whatever anyone else says, like it or not, home for the time being is Headingley, anywhere else is an away fixture.

Nice to see Inside Knowledge again come on this board to express his views. Is 6/10 good enough? Clearly not. Discipline seems to be a problem that needs to be sorted. Whilst I was not at Hull, I gather that most points shipped by us was when we were down to 13 men. That is simply not good enough. Ill discipline puts an additional strain on the players remaining on the field of play, leaves gaps for the opposition to exploit and can also be a contributing aspect to our injury problems.

As for the Donny supporters winging, for whatever reason, that seems to be the case in whatever sport in South Yorkshire, Perhaps a legacy of the old Scargill days that has been instilled in the local dna?

Glad to hear that we will have a proper home game on the 15th! I may even show my face for that one!

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 12:05
To set the record straight Donnie supporters around us {which included some of our fans who who are moaning about their behaviour(Sm100)) were not wingeing, they were not moaning, they weren't doing anything more than having a bit of a banter and having a pop at the ref than we'd be having if we thought decisions didn't go our way. If anyone have actually bothered to speak to them they would have known that they were all doing it rather tongue-in-cheek.

AnIdiotAbroad
AnIdiotAbroad (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 12:09
What is your twitter name?
Thanks

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 12:45
I have on many an occasion spoken to, and enjoyed the company of South Yorkshire supporters of on club or another. It may tongue in cheek, but it is still winging. That has to be distinguished from pointing out to the ref, and the assistants, the error of their ways, which we all do.(Sm151)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 12:46
Tempted to pick up on that Scargill comment Bobba, but I'll leave it.

Nosnibor
Nosnibor (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 13:46
Hi Gelbel.

I appreciate you have a different view on the 'banter', and it's great that you didn't experience anything you considered untoward around you. The overwhelming majority of Donny supporters were great and I wish we had more like them, but I stand by my comment that a tiny minority - literally 2 or 3 - went a bit beyond tongue in cheek banter with their aggressive baiting of the officials. Just an opinion. Maybe I should try to develop a thicker skin!

That's all I want to say on the subject. I'd rather focus on the rugby.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 19:13
By the way,

I'd just like to acknowledge the Fools and Horses reference in the thread title.

Fine work Sir

MESSAGES->author
Madtyke (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 22:52
Sounds like the guys stepped up after last week. Still don't understand how Carnegie/Donny was the curtain raiser for Ionians/Otley..

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

leeds_shark
WPL (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 07:48
1st game for what seemed like ages - thoughts are the recruits are settling in well, I commented to someone that the run of cup games came at just the right time for us.

From the last game I was at (Scottish), I thought some good improvement throughout the team, Temm especially. I thought Elder had a good game chasing kicks and I thought Bruzulier's box kicking gave every chance for the chasers.

Special mention must go to the scrum though over powering a traditional strong scrummaging team - not sure if it was a full strength Donny team or not but still impressive.

Yes discipline let us down towards the end - but before that 33-3 was a great score.

Dr Jabber2
Dr Jabber2 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 11:12
Whilst others may hold back, i will as always speak my mind, i see no need at all to make reference to Mr Scargill.

The fan base of the club is supposed to be County Wide,and not Leeds or West Yorkshire Centric.The clue is in the name "Yorkshire Carnegie".

I am a Sheffield boy and proud of it which unless anyone is in any doubt is also in
South Yorkshire.

Any derogatory comment regarding South Yorkshire folk is ill conceived, and frankly offensive.

Dom Barrow played with my eldest in the local park, and was always hoofing a rugby ball high into the air with my son looking on in amazement.

I don`t seem to recall anyone calling into question which part of the "County" he was from when he played for the shirt.

End of rant!

Dr J

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 13:53
I did mention on an another post made during the game they made some on here seem full of the joys of spring,

from my personal viewpoint i don't think they crossed any line but were convinced every decision was going against them and let ref know that but nothing worse than ive heard from south stand this season

Id like to spin this on its head and say that the way YC played in the opening 50 odd minutes that's all they could do, yes we went off the boil afterwards and allowed the some points however Donny fans turned up by the coach load fully expecting a win and a big win and was clear from the off that wasn't going to happen leaving them to find something to moan about.

one scrum that they went backwards at a rate of knots giving away another penalty one was heard to say "this lot wont be bottom long" the Kiri Kiri hit on their big lad knocking him backwards gave the same statement from another

i personally found the Donny fans moaning quite amusing, they had nothing early doors to cheer for and to me it told me YC are heading in the right direction we have all spent the early part of the season doing the same it was pleasing that it was coming from the other side for a change,

yes its not the finished article but if that team had have started season we wouldn't be bottom, the team ethic is clear they are all in it together and was a really enjoyable game to watch, no quarter given but as a man our lads stood up to be counted when Donny threatened to boil over,

yorkie ba
yorkie ba (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 14:15
I've noticed in all the cup games so far we've played well till the replacements come on . Let's hope when the injured players are back the bench is a strong one. It should be.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 18:05
Fair comment Yorkie (am I allowed to say that(Sm100)?) but the cup games are dual purpose and part of the aim is to give academy or squad players experience. I think at long last we do have a bench up to strength and will play it in the games that matter.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 18:37
Quote:
leemingtyke
By the way,
I'd just like to acknowledge the Fools and Horses reference in the thread title.

Fine work Sir

I thought he was sampling Wham!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Yorki
Yorki (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 23:14
The match on Saturdays was a good game but when Doncaster replaced their tight head and brought on some of their more senior players we struggled, that's when we started giving penalties away for high tackles. Hull were great hosts,I was little bit miffed I could not sit in the stand but instead stood on the balcony and had very interesting conversation with two retired Doncaster players. With regard to Doncaster's supporters I can only say one thing, they were able fill a coach and there appeared to more of them than YC supporters.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 15:51
Quote:
Yorki
With regard to Doncaster's supporters I can only say one thing, they were able fill a coach and there appeared to more of them than YC supporters.
Thank you Yorki for answering my question above which everybody else conveniently side-stepped. Not surprised in the slightest. I rest my case!

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 16:25
Quote:
Albert Fishwick
Quote:
leemingtyke
By the way,

Fine work Sir

Took me almost a full 24hrs to figure that one out Albert :-)

Fantastic Wham knowledge, chapeau!

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 17:24
Quote:
Haxbytyke
Quote:
Yorki
With regard to Doncaster's supporters I can only say one thing, they were able fill a coach and there appeared to more of them than YC supporters.
Thank you Yorki for answering my question above which everybody else conveniently side-stepped. Not surprised in the slightest. I rest my case!

Certainly side stepped by me as the subject is getting boring now, either turn up or don’t I did and enjoyed it and thanks to the early kick off I was back in Bingley having only missed 1st 5 minutes of England match (in answer to another question probably why game was 12pm kick off and not 3)

It’s probably something that was ironed out early doors such as the pre season games which maybe CS had no control over,

The board have backed him with these signings he to me seems to know the direction the club needs to be heading if he thinks that includes taking games on the road then so be it he knows pre season needs to be addressed and maybe so does the cup but as it stands it is what it is

Time to back the club and decisions they make, it’s not been ideal but the raft of signings and positivity surrounding the club is encouraging and they will never make everyone happy but it is what it is and I would take a coach full of Donny fanss grumbling and moaning over a YC win than a couple of dissenters moaning game is too far away

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 19:44
Quote:
leemingtyke
Quote:
Albert Fishwick
Quote:
leemingtyke
By the way,

Fine work Sir

Took me almost a full 24hrs to figure that one out Albert :-)

Fantastic Wham knowledge, chapeau!

Horses mouth: I thought this title up myself and I don't care if you want some sort of "My Sweet Lord" or "Stairway to Heaven" legislation.

(Sm100)(Sm100)(Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 20:05
It was great to see Lanny at the match on Saturday. Despite some posters on this forum thinking the match was beneath them, it seems Stuart Lancaster was pleased to be there. Stuart did loads of mingling and generally made the most of the event. I saw that Dave the Dock was there and normally Geech does the corporate stuff, but I suspect he is in need of retirement rest. Wonder if Lanny, son involved in the Academy, is going to do some sort off-the-pitch role? Great if that was to come true.

(Sm134)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net