rugbyunion
Latest News:
Saturday 19 January, KO 15:00, Richmond v Yorkshire Carnegie, Athletic Ground
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

MESSAGES->author
Bottom of the Premiership
JDH (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 21:27
It's getting interested down there now. Newcastle seem to have got in a rut. Spanked at home by quins. Wuss win 14mins into extra time v 11 man bath!

Who do you reckon will go down?

I think we need ring fencing tbh. Irish have proved you can be a shite prem team and still walk this league even after losing your best players.

Grybz
Re: Bottom of the Premiership
Grybz (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 08:48
Hard to believe Newcastle did so well last year, have had some good results in Europe and are now down at the foot of the table. It is incredibly tight though and wouldnt want to say who will drop down and suspect it will go down to the wire. Its keeping it a lot more interesting for me as a neutral!

Interesting that, in a season where it is so tight at the foot of the table, that there is so much media speculation about rinfencing. This seems to have been ramped up by CVCs investment. There has been some comments about the Championship not being financially viable, only 13 Premiership standard clubs, breakaways from the RFU and further club versus country scenarios over the last couple of days. Funny that the Bristol Chairman is all for scrapping relegation this year, I wonder if he would have been quite so keen last season.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 13:19
Like us I suppose, clubs support whatever suits them at the time. It's a joke really. The margin between mid table and relegation in the prem is a hairs width. It turns on a couple of games in a season. A few injuries to key men or just not performing for whatever reason and you are in trouble. Those that get comfortable do at their own peril. It takes a special person at a club to continually drive especially when things are going well!

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 20:41
Lansdown knows nothing. He says there are only 13 teams including London Irish with prem standard infrastructure. Making it up as he goes along to fit his agenda.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 22:43
You think he would know more than most about the championship.

Does anyone think an odd number league works? I cannot see it myself.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

The Ian Ritchie view above.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 22:45
LI are moving to Brentfords new ground when complete

Tyko
Tyko (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 23:43
Ian Ritchie wants to see Premier Rugby expand into the USA and other countries.
He could start by looking at Yorkshire.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 07:48
I can't see what is wrong with a 2 league format of 8, everyone plays each other once, and fixtures reverse following season

Introduce a play off system at end of season for top 4 rest of clubs play a similar to sevens style game to determine 5th to 16 place for prize money/euro qualification etc

The top 2 clubs would play 16 games plus Europe helping player welfare as playing less than now, and a break during 6 nations binning silly cup comp,

4 teams up from championship think only us Pirates Ealing and LI want it anyway at the minute (maybe cov?)

It works over 5 countries in pro14 so why not in England? Plus conference stuff is what Americans lap up if they putting all the brass in

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 12:26
A possible solution to the vast gulf between the Premiership and Championship could be a role reversal.

For a period of, say three years, the funding currently received by the Premiership to go to the Championship and vice versa.

No promotion or relegation during the 3 years.

An absolute cap on spending on players wages of say 3m for the duration.

That should allow the Championship to equalize with the Premiership and put the Clubs into a sound financial situation.

The Premiership, on the other hand, would have to learn to live within their own means.

Once the three years are up, restart as normal and see what develops.

Before anyone starts slating me for a stupid, unworkable idea, let me remind you that our game is run by men in grey suits who do, regularly, come up with and implement stupid ideas!

I've already got my coat! (Sm132)

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 13:29
Hey I like it! How many heart attacks would it bring on though....

Tyko
Tyko (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 21:25
You can't rule anything out theses days. Brexit, Trump !!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net