rugbyunion
Latest News:

MESSAGES->author
The official unofficial sport....
almostatyke (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 21:07
.of this website is of course fishing. No I mean cycling. Rather than upload pictures of chubs I have caught I thought it more interesting (and that is not hard to achieve) to set the scene by a link to the fabulous Tour de Yorkshire which is probably passing within a few hundred metres of your house next week:

[letour.yorkshire.com]

Points I would make, and it is well known that I know more about cycling than rugby, are as follows:
Mark Cavendish is appearing and has Yorkshire heritage in that his mother comes from, and now lives in Harrogate. But don't expect too much as he has had a terrible time with glandular fever and is really sort of feeling his way back into the peloton. He is an interesting character and will still add to the event.
The TdY is a pathfinder in terms of womens cycling and Van Vleuton is coming, and she won the really prestigious Liege-Bastonne-Liege race today.
Though the womens race is shorter we are actually going to get more really top class riders than in the mens race.

Can't wait.

(Sm146)

MESSAGES->author
Re: The official unofficial sport....
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 21:16
Chris Froome is also set to make his TDY debut as Team Sky morph into Team Ineos for the first time.

Stage 2 finishes in Bedale and the town is already looking resplendent in the pale blue and yellow. I can highly recommend a visit if any of you city dwellers fancy a few hours in the Dales.

I also can't wait

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 21:17
Having had just actually read the link (????) I would also add that Chris Froome and Team Sky are actually going to morphe into a new team, and this will be their first race in the new colours - so expect lots of publicity.
Also Otley's Lizzie Deighnan is appearing after giving birth last year, and she was commendably in the elite group not far behind the winner in today's L-B-L race.

EDIT: [Leeming fast out of the blocks here so a bit of duplication]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/04/2019 21:20 by almostatyke.

JDH1
JDH1 (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 21:38
Isn't rugby off season cr@p....

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 21:41
Quote:
JDH1
Isn't rugby off season cr@p....

It is also the fishing close season.....not sure I can cope!

Perhaps cycling will help.

Billy ba
Billy ba (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 22:57
Carnegie connection. My grandson aged 9 who is a junior season ticket holder at Carnegie is one of only 8 cyclists from GB selected for the junior European tour in August. Might see him in the TdY in a few years

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
29 April, 2019 11:42
Quote:
Billy ba
Carnegie connection. My grandson aged 9 who is a junior season ticket holder at Carnegie is one of only 8 cyclists from GB selected for the junior European tour in August. Might see him in the TdY in a few years

thumbs down

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
29 April, 2019 14:12
Two days Tourmaker duties to compensate for end of rugby union season. To be followed next month, after holidays, with sessions as World Cup cricket volunteer.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
29 April, 2019 21:11
Preview of the race, please ignore this website's bias against Team Sky and now it seems their successor:

[www.cyclingnews.com]

Last year I was on the money with Greg Van the man Avermout winning as I predicted. This year - I will go for the same.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
29 April, 2019 22:56
Two former winners on that team.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
03 May, 2019 19:55
Hopefully the weather will pick up, I suspect Beeston has got a bit soaked.
I commend the organisers in making the womens' stage the same as the mens'. However that means the male race can be boring as the parcours (posh word for route) is too short and not difficult enough to really challenge the World Tour teams.

It also means that you have seen it all before.....

Great to see Lizzie Deignan nee Armistead is looking strong.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
03 May, 2019 20:09
Though there are hardly any world teams here. I think these stages work well in a race such as ours, certainly better than flogging through a semi-desert in Spain for 200+km with only a few donkeys watching.

Tomorrow and Sunday should be more eventful, in any case.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
03 May, 2019 20:29
Albert, I hope this is not a secret admission that a few donkeys, plus you, watch the Tour of Spain??????

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
03 May, 2019 21:46
I watch the Tour of just about anywhere, especially if it gives me an excuse to avoid doing any work!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2019 12:49 by Albert Fishwick.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
03 May, 2019 23:07
Still dry Almo -.hope that continues, at Grosmont tomorrow and Pateley Bridge on Sunday.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 09:04
Fantastic occasion in Bedale yesterday. The place was rammed and absolutely rocking! Black Sheep's Velo was flowing to the point where it ran out and I magine the landlords of the pubs on the highstreet can now take the next month off!

It wasn't to be for Cav in the bunch sprint who said aftetwards that rustiness had caused him to hesitate which is understandable. Hopefully he'll be firing on all cylinders by July.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 07:42
Cracking stage from Brid to Scarbro' yesterday. I was watching it on ITV4 whilst drinking Yorkshire beers with names like "Hello Velo", "Pedal Pusher" & "Saddle Sore"

We'll be on the Cote de Barden at lunchtime today.

(Sm48)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 09:19
Masham for us later today!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 19:59
Well I think that whatever your viewing position; Cote de Barden, Masham, the less glamourous Cote de Tinshill for me, or just watching live on the excellent coverage of ITV4, then today has been a great and exciting stage!

So OK my tip Greg Van the Man did not win the overall, but he was close and (conveniently) won the last and "Queen" stage into Leeds today.

Just shows how good Yorkshire looks when it is not raining!

And a secret admission. I wore a day-glo orange top (borrowed from my son) and stood just after a sprint so I knew that the ITV4 adverts would not intervene. Returning home and watching on my Betamax I was horrified to see that the cameras cut away to the other side of the road.

Zut alors!

[EDIT] [www.cyclingnews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2019 20:09 by almostatyke.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 21:01
Yep, totally agree Almo.

So many permutations In the closing stages. That fantastic attack from Froome on the Chevin setting up first Dunbar then Lawless. The pair of them outsmarting Van the Man.

A fantastic race and the first ever British winner.

The Velo ran out once again, even in its home town!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
10 May, 2019 16:23
Mark Cavendish did better than I thought on the TdYorks: worked for his team, finished the race and was not a million miles off in the sprints. Hope therefore that he will be truly competitive by July and the Tour de France.

Sadly Cav's rival Kittel has had similar health issues and has taken a hiatus from the sport. Some nice words from Cav:

[www.cyclingnews.com]

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
10 May, 2019 19:42
Agree 100% Almo, read both Kittel and Cavs words on Twitter earlier today.

The Giro begins tomorrow with 5 Brits on the start line in Bologna. Simon Yates will have the highest hopes but there's also a first Grand Tour appearance for Ineos's young British future GC hope Tao Geoghegan-Hart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2019 20:31 by leemingtyke.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
11 May, 2019 20:43
The opening stage of the Giro:

1Primoz Roglic (Slo) Team Jumbo-Visma
0:12:54

2Simon Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott
0:00:19

3Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida
0:00:23

4Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana Pro Team
0:00:28

5Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb

6Rafal Majka (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe
0:00:33

7Tao Geoghegan Hart (GBr) Team Ineos
0:00:35

As it was a short "prologue" type stage then perhaps some big hitters are hiding their form? I don't think so; suspect the players will be amongst the guys above.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net