Latest news:
20/21/22 September KO TBC, Nottingham Rugby v Yorkshire Carnegie (we hope)
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

The official unofficial sport....
Discussion started by almostatyke (IP Logged), 28 April, 2019 21:07
MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
28 April, 2019 21:07
…….of this website is of course fishing. No I mean cycling. Rather than upload pictures of chubs I have caught I thought it more interesting (and that is not hard to achieve) to set the scene by a link to the fabulous Tour de Yorkshire which is probably passing within a few hundred metres of your house next week:

[letour.yorkshire.com]

Points I would make, and it is well known that I know more about cycling than rugby, are as follows:
Mark Cavendish is appearing and has Yorkshire heritage in that his mother comes from, and now lives in Harrogate. But don't expect too much as he has had a terrible time with glandular fever and is really sort of feeling his way back into the peloton. He is an interesting character and will still add to the event.
The TdY is a pathfinder in terms of womens cycling and Van Vleuton is coming, and she won the really prestigious Liege-Bastonne-Liege race today.
Though the womens race is shorter we are actually going to get more really top class riders than in the mens race.

Can't wait.

(Sm146)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
28 April, 2019 21:16
Chris Froome is also set to make his TDY debut as Team Sky morph into Team Ineos for the first time.

Stage 2 finishes in Bedale and the town is already looking resplendent in the pale blue and yellow. I can highly recommend a visit if any of you city dwellers fancy a few hours in the Dales.

I also can't wait

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
28 April, 2019 21:17
Having had just actually read the link (????) I would also add that Chris Froome and Team Sky are actually going to morphe into a new team, and this will be their first race in the new colours - so expect lots of publicity.
Also Otley's Lizzie Deighnan is appearing after giving birth last year, and she was commendably in the elite group not far behind the winner in today's L-B-L race.

EDIT: [Leeming fast out of the blocks here so a bit of duplication]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/04/2019 21:20 by almostatyke.

JDH1
JDH1
28 April, 2019 21:38
Isn't rugby off season cr@p....

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
28 April, 2019 21:41
Quote:
JDH1
Isn't rugby off season cr@p....

It is also the fishing close season...…..not sure I can cope!

Perhaps cycling will help.

Billy ba
Billy ba
28 April, 2019 22:57
Carnegie connection. My grandson aged 9 who is a junior season ticket holder at Carnegie is one of only 8 cyclists from GB selected for the junior European tour in August. Might see him in the TdY in a few years

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
29 April, 2019 11:42
Quote:
Billy ba
Carnegie connection. My grandson aged 9 who is a junior season ticket holder at Carnegie is one of only 8 cyclists from GB selected for the junior European tour in August. Might see him in the TdY in a few years

thumbs down

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
29 April, 2019 14:12
Two days Tourmaker duties to compensate for end of rugby union season. To be followed next month, after holidays, with sessions as World Cup cricket volunteer.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
29 April, 2019 21:11
Preview of the race, please ignore this website's bias against Team Sky and now it seems their successor:

[www.cyclingnews.com]

Last year I was on the money with Greg Van the man Avermout winning as I predicted. This year - I will go for the same.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
29 April, 2019 22:56
Two former winners on that team.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
03 May, 2019 19:55
Hopefully the weather will pick up, I suspect Beeston has got a bit soaked.
I commend the organisers in making the womens' stage the same as the mens'. However that means the male race can be boring as the parcours (posh word for route) is too short and not difficult enough to really challenge the World Tour teams.

It also means that you have seen it all before.....

Great to see Lizzie Deignan nee Armistead is looking strong.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
03 May, 2019 20:09
Though there are hardly any world teams here. I think these stages work well in a race such as ours, certainly better than flogging through a semi-desert in Spain for 200+km with only a few donkeys watching.

Tomorrow and Sunday should be more eventful, in any case.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
03 May, 2019 20:29
Albert, I hope this is not a secret admission that a few donkeys, plus you, watch the Tour of Spain??????

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
03 May, 2019 21:46
I watch the Tour of just about anywhere, especially if it gives me an excuse to avoid doing any work!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2019 12:49 by Albert Fishwick.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
03 May, 2019 23:07
Still dry Almo -.hope that continues, at Grosmont tomorrow and Pateley Bridge on Sunday.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
04 May, 2019 09:04
Fantastic occasion in Bedale yesterday. The place was rammed and absolutely rocking! Black Sheep's Velo was flowing to the point where it ran out and I magine the landlords of the pubs on the highstreet can now take the next month off!

It wasn't to be for Cav in the bunch sprint who said aftetwards that rustiness had caused him to hesitate which is understandable. Hopefully he'll be firing on all cylinders by July.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
05 May, 2019 07:42
Cracking stage from Brid to Scarbro' yesterday. I was watching it on ITV4 whilst drinking Yorkshire beers with names like "Hello Velo", "Pedal Pusher" & "Saddle Sore"

We'll be on the Cote de Barden at lunchtime today.

(Sm48)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
05 May, 2019 09:19
Masham for us later today!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
05 May, 2019 19:59
Well I think that whatever your viewing position; Cote de Barden, Masham, the less glamourous Cote de Tinshill for me, or just watching live on the excellent coverage of ITV4, then today has been a great and exciting stage!

So OK my tip Greg Van the Man did not win the overall, but he was close and (conveniently) won the last and "Queen" stage into Leeds today.

Just shows how good Yorkshire looks when it is not raining!

And a secret admission. I wore a day-glo orange top (borrowed from my son) and stood just after a sprint so I knew that the ITV4 adverts would not intervene. Returning home and watching on my Betamax I was horrified to see that the cameras cut away to the other side of the road.

Zut alors!

[EDIT] [www.cyclingnews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2019 20:09 by almostatyke.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
05 May, 2019 21:01
Yep, totally agree Almo.

So many permutations In the closing stages. That fantastic attack from Froome on the Chevin setting up first Dunbar then Lawless. The pair of them outsmarting Van the Man.

A fantastic race and the first ever British winner.

The Velo ran out once again, even in its home town!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
10 May, 2019 16:23
Mark Cavendish did better than I thought on the TdYorks: worked for his team, finished the race and was not a million miles off in the sprints. Hope therefore that he will be truly competitive by July and the Tour de France.

Sadly Cav's rival Kittel has had similar health issues and has taken a hiatus from the sport. Some nice words from Cav:

[www.cyclingnews.com]

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
10 May, 2019 19:42
Agree 100% Almo, read both Kittel and Cavs words on Twitter earlier today.

The Giro begins tomorrow with 5 Brits on the start line in Bologna. Simon Yates will have the highest hopes but there's also a first Grand Tour appearance for Ineos's young British future GC hope Tao Geoghegan-Hart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2019 20:31 by leemingtyke.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
11 May, 2019 20:43
The opening stage of the Giro:

1Primoz Roglic (Slo) Team Jumbo-Visma
0:12:54

2Simon Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott
0:00:19

3Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida
0:00:23

4Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana Pro Team
0:00:28

5Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb

6Rafal Majka (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe
0:00:33

7Tao Geoghegan Hart (GBr) Team Ineos
0:00:35

As it was a short "prologue" type stage then perhaps some big hitters are hiding their form? I don't think so; suspect the players will be amongst the guys above.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
12 June, 2019 14:38
Sad news coming out of France today - Chris Froome has crashed in a reconnaissance for today's time trial in the Dauphiné and it seems he may have broken his pelvis or possibly his femur. Dave Brailsford has said he will almost certainly miss the Tour. Although Ineos have other options and it opens up a place for another rider, it is a real shame for a guy who was aiming for a 5th win.

I hope he is able to make a full recovery, however long it takes, and that we see him back in competition next year, if not later this.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
12 June, 2019 16:06
It means that last year's winner G Thomas is now the undisputed leader of Team Ineos and, as you say, Albert, he should now have another high quality domestique at his disposal.

Hope chris gets better soon and will be competing in next year's TdF for his 5th win.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
12 June, 2019 19:11
Broken femur, elbow and several ribs. Out for the rest of the year, you would think.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
12 June, 2019 19:35
Awful news. Hope he makes a swift recovery.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
13 June, 2019 21:12
Good recovery to Chris Froome after his 6 hour operation today. Ironically, it could just be that he has won his 7th Grand Tour whilst in his hospital bed as the 2011 Tour of Spain winner (where Froomie finished second) has apparently been found guilty of a doping offence: this could mean the win being retrospectively awarded to Chris.

I have personal experience of a serious cycling injury (not quite as bad a Chris') and wish him all the best. It will be 3 months at least before he will be able to relearn how to walk again.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
15 June, 2019 18:50
Something to really celebrate:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
19 June, 2019 11:04
Saw a tweet from Alex Dowsett a day or so ago which made me chuckle. Referring to the controversy surrounding the 2011 Vuelta he tweeted:

"Only Froomey could have a tdf ending horror crash, be in surgery and intensive care, to wake up to the news that he’s won another grand tour....literally in his sleep."

[twitter.com]

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
04 July, 2019 20:15
It is now high summer, and that means...The Tour de France is imminent. It starts Saturday in Brussels, paying homage to the best cyclist the world has ever seen, Eddie Merkx. I could not write words that would be anywhere near the quality of the BBC introduction:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
04 July, 2019 21:40
Looking forward to it.

Bernal would be my prediction I think

Oh, and Wout Van Aert is one to watch for some stage wins

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 22:44 by leemingtyke.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
06 July, 2019 12:22
Interesting that Team Ineos have two leaders in very different circumstances, and that is not just the difference in age. Thomas is short of racing days and hopes to build his form during the first part of the Tour in order to reach peak form in the critical last week. Bernal has been on good form already this season and he is hoping to keep this form throughout the race.

IMHO I think G Thomas is most likely to succeed.

Billy ba
Billy ba
07 July, 2019 09:22
Thibaut Pinot e/w

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
07 July, 2019 09:51
Thought my tip for stage wins, Van Aert had won yesterday with the ITV commentary calling him over the line, only to find out it was a case of mistaken identity and it was his team mate Mike Teunissen.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
20 July, 2019 20:27
Well we are now at the serious end of the race. For the first time in several decades, there is the real prospect that a Frenchman could win the TdF.
However, G has come into this race seriously underprepared in race days due to his crash in the Td Swiss (or was it the Dauphine?). Anyway he crashed and got concussed, thus excluded at an early point in his TdF preparation race. Considering, he has not done too bad, and it must be sheer bad luck to run into Frenchman Alaphillipe riding out of his skin and motivated by the crowds and helped by other French teams.
So is Geraint going to get better as the race proceeds or are others going to hold on to their present form?
Also remember that Ineous have the best management by far: today Movistar riders exhausted themselves counter-productively dropping their leader Quintana. I think that Dave Brailsford would not allow that to happen and may have a Cunning Plan.

Todays stage was nostalgic for me as I remember riding the same way up the Tourmalet in Sept 1985.

Before cycling got trendy.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
21 July, 2019 08:58
It was the Tour de Suisse.

Ineos still have two cards to play and the three alpine stages next week should suit Bernal. I still think Alaphilippe will crack at some point. I would be more worried about Pinot or Kruiswijk. If Thomas can't find that missing 5% I fear he could slip back.

The expected return to very high temperatures in southern France could play a role in the stages into Nîmes and Gap. Pinot, for one, doesn't tolerate heat well.

For all that, I would be delighted to see a french winner after such a long barren period. They could do with a bit of cheering up.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
21 July, 2019 09:25
Alaphillippe showing no signs of cracking as yet but, as David Millar put it on Twitter, ' you have to wonder how many bullets he's got left as he's been firing from the hip for two weeks'.

I tipped Bernal before the race started but if Almo is right about G's form coming into the tour, and I think he might be, then I'd like Pinot to win. He looked really strong at the Dauphine and when he lost time in the cross-winds I tweeted that he wasn't out of it yet. (Also, FDJ ride the same brand of bike as me :-)

One thing's for sure, it's been a fantastic race so far.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
21 July, 2019 13:35
Golf anyone?

(Sm159)

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
21 July, 2019 18:34
(Sm119)

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
21 July, 2019 22:21
Quote:
Albert Fishwick
(Sm119)
(Sm22)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
29 July, 2019 20:57
What a fantastic Tour de France.

Thrilling from start to finish. It started out being the riders who weren't there (Froome & Cavendish) bit ended up being about the emerging talent that was there, a tour of the future if you like.

Delighted for Egan Bernal, Caleb Ewan, Wout Van Aert and of course, the absolute warrior that is Julian Alaphillippe. Pinot was magnificent before succumbing to injury. They all lit up this tour as brightly as the sun setting through the Arc De Triomphe on yesterday's final stage.

What a tour, can't wait for next year.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
29 July, 2019 21:05
Quote:
leemingtyke
What a fantastic Tour de France.........What a tour, can't wait for next year.

On yer bike! (Sm126)

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
29 July, 2019 21:11
I agree entirely. And Leeming you was right about Bernal - I thought G would overtake him but he proved to be stronger and G was happy to support the victory for Ineos.
A word of support for Geraint Thomas, though. The final two stages were always going to decide the TdF result, or so we all thought. So the key players kept their energy for these two multi-peak stages. On the penultimate stage G sent Bernal forward to draw the sting of the opposition. Suddenly the stage was cut short by the hail and mudslide that lay ahead. The times were taken on the penultimate climb, and Bernal's attack meant he was in yellow.
The following day the stage was halved from 120 to 60 km, because of another mudslide, so team Ineos could easily keep Bernal in yellow by just following the moves. And they did.
Probably the most interesting Tour in years, it produced a 22 year old winner, but what strange weather?

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
29 July, 2019 21:50
Yeah I agree about G Almo. Everyone always says how honest he is and I think he showed that when he allowed Bernal to go knowing that he didn't have the legs. A classy move that.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
29 July, 2019 22:16
I suspect that you ae right (as ever) Leeming, but because of the truncated last two stages we will never know.
If G had the legs he would have still sent Bernal forward on the penultimate climb ( a bit of a suicide mission if you didn't know there was a mudslide) then he would follow the others, keep in the wheels and launch his own, fresh, attack on the final climb.

Because of the weather we will never know. The team spirit in Ineos and the need to produce instant results for the new sponsor meant G was happy to be second.

Bobba
Bobba
30 July, 2019 08:21
I just wonder what would have been the result had Froome not had his horrific accident.

Generally, TDF this year was very good with the result in the balance up to the very end.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
21 August, 2019 18:46
It is nearly time for the Tour of Spain to start, meaning that two donkeys, Albert Fishwick and perhaps me will be watching.

But the season so far has been unusual in that younger riders than ever have been winning big:
Egan Bernal won the Tour de France this year at the age of 22, the youngest winner in more than 100 years. Elsewhere, 20-year-old Tadej Pogačar has won the Tour of California and Volta ao Algarve in his neo-pro season, and Remco Evenepoel has won the Clásica San Sebastián and elite European time trial title at the age of 19. Meanwhile, 24-year-olds Mathieu van der Poel and Wout Van Aert have taken the road by storm after spending their early 20s dominating the cyclo-cross scene.

Lets optimistically take this as a very positive sign that the sport is cleaner than it has ever been.

And even more optimistically, lets hope for an interesting Tour of Spain!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/08/2019 18:47 by almostatyke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net