. . . _ _ _ . . .

Kirkstall End
Re: Geech resigns
Kirkstall End (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 15:13
Quote:
JDH1
Posted by his wife

I refer you back to my previous post, with particular reference to social media, fan engagement etc. Hopeless.

Whilst I get the fact it isn't great news to report someone leaving the club, especially one of such profile and the trumpeting they gave when he arrived, it seems they're trying their best to ignore this until they can probably mention it in passing alongside some better news.

Or maybe no-one at the club knows yet.....

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 19:41
Geech's duties were handed-over to Stirlo on the latter's appointment. Since then he has made a few (unpaid) appearances on behalf of the club. He is nearly 73.

It is a surprise?

JDH1
JDH1 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 21:41
No. We need cash and new blood that's enthusiastic driven

JDH1
JDH1 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2019 20:18

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
11 May, 2019 07:34
Quote:
JDH1
https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/sir-ian-mcgeechan-quits-troubled-yorkshire-carnegie-1-9762124

A fairly damning report.

MESSAGES->author
Competitive Dad (IP Logged)
11 May, 2019 16:03
Tweeted by Mrs Geech;
A sad Sir Ian went into @carnegierugby club yesterday players coaches support staff all gone what happens next @RMcgeechan @TheRugbyPaper

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
11 May, 2019 17:03
Well.... I mean... I'm the last person to try and put a positive spin on our current situation because....well.... we're f***ed aren't we. Just waiting for the inevitable confirmation.

However, it is worth pointing out that during the first week's of close season, you wouldn't really expect to see anyone there would you?

JDH1
JDH1 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2019 17:41
Strange she keeps adding the rugby paper in there too..

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
11 May, 2019 20:19
I remember working with a bricklayer from Northalerton - brilliant artisan, loved his job and at 69 years old was laying more bricks (and a lot straighter) than guys less than half his age. When he thought he had better retire, his wife said great we can go on lots of pic-nics.
Alas it was too late...Ö

Perhaps Geech is in a similar situation?

JDH1
JDH1 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2019 23:11
He has given plenty to rugby over the years that's for sure.

Feeding
Feeding (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 07:17
I think they are all in Lanzarote for a week.

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 13:25
Quote:
Kirkstall End
Quote:
JDH1
Posted by his wife

I refer you back to my previous post, with particular reference to social media, fan engagement etc. Hopeless.

Now you tell me how they are meant to write something, get it signed off (and that will also need legal sign off so that will take some time) and issue before it's out on social by his nearest and dearest?

I see it as a good sign - if the club was going to wither and die then he'd not resign.

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 13:40
Quote:
leemingtyke

However, it is worth pointing out that during the first week's of close season, you wouldn't really expect to see anyone there would you?

Exactly what I said Leeming.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 17:41
Quote:
JDH1
Strange she keeps adding the rugby paper in there too..

Perhaps to sell more papers?

JDH1
JDH1 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 19:01
I just think the whole handling of it and posting on twitter is a poor show from him.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 19:15
Maybe he didn't know what she was posting.

In any event, I can't see that this is much of a surprise. The Yorkshire project is dead, we're not sure whether we will keep our academy and we have asked him to work for nowt. At least he is hanging on until the official end of the season.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

JDH1
JDH1 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 20:48
Maybe so.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 21:12
Maybe nobody told him they were going to Lanzarote.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 21:41
Nobody could have done more than Geech to try and unite Yorkshire rugby.
I thank him for his efforts. At what was probably his last involvement with the club (unpaid of course) I had a good chat to him at the second fans' training session, and he was positive to the end.
If you are 72 and have been trying to push water uphill for 5 years, when suddenly the financial side collapses, then it is time to retire.

Great bloke with such a pedigree: he led Scotland to a Grand Slam!!!!!!!!!!

JDH1
JDH1 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 21:49
Was he behind the joining of the satellite clubs and coaching teams? If so, they are doing fantastic stuff

RothwellTyke
RothwellTyke (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 22:42
I have to agree with almost and JDH. He did all he could to develop a club with a long term development structure but itís no wonder after 5 years that he believes its time for him to move on. Wish him well in whatever he does next

MESSAGES->author
Competitive Dad (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 12:25
Harry Davey to Pirates on a 3 yr deal.

One would have thought that despite it being the 1st week of off season there would be someone about trying to sign players. We have no one left.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 19:46
Geech? I would like to know what he has done for the club in the last few years. He was supposed to be a figurehead. Spending his time traveling the world watching Rugby as a commentator on tv earned him his pennies. But for us? I'm not going to argue that his pedigree as a player or a coach is beyond doubt, but for us?

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 20:25
Quote:
Bobba
Geech? I would like to know what he has done for the club in the last few years. He was supposed to be a figurehead. Spending his time traveling the world watching Rugby as a commentator on tv earned him his pennies. But for us? I'm not going to argue that his pedigree as a player or a coach is beyond doubt, but for us?

He recruited Stirlo.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 06:34
Quote:
leemingtyke
...He recruited Stirlo.

Good answer! (Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 08:31
Quote:

One would have thought that despite it being the 1st week of off season there would be someone about trying to sign players. We have no one left.[/quote

well that ain't going to happen with someone sat on their backside in an office in Headingley and aren't people entitled to time off - been working since August and preseason before that?

Tower
Tower (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 08:32
Quote:
Bobba

Totally agree with you Bobba what has he done for the club?

What I can see as DOR he let things slide and when he did hand over reins it was in terrible decline off and on the field.

Yes he recruited Chris Stirling just in time for CS to take the fall.

Oh I give him that he did talk but where was the action?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 09:14 by Tower.

MESSAGES->author
14 May, 2019 09:28
He was never director of rugby. He came here essentially to provide a figurehead with a worldwide reputation.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 10:11
Quote:
Albert Fishwick
He was never director of rugby. He came here essentially to provide a figurehead with a worldwide reputation.

That worked well didn't it? I totally agree with Bobba. What he has done is proved that reputations count for nothing. Just 'being there' is nowhere near enough. He certainly didn't inspire any large investment into the club, which is what he said would happen when we changed from Leeds to Yorkshire, (I know 'cos I was there).As for the name change being totally supported by Yorkshire rugby, nobody told our friends at Doncaster or Rotherham.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

Tower
Tower (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 10:49
Quote:
Albert Fishwick

Very odd as all the literature I saw had him listed a DOR.

If not him who has been our DOR?

From Haxby

That worked well didn't it? I totally agree with Bobba. What he has done is proved that reputations count for nothing. Just 'being there' is nowhere near enough. He certainly didn't inspire any large investment into the club, which is what he said would happen.

Totally agree Haxby.

MESSAGES->author
14 May, 2019 11:27
Chris Gibson was DoR when Geech was appointed. Geech never came here to coach.

Tower
Tower (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 11:57
Quote:
Albert Fishwick
Chris Gibson was DoR when Geech was appointed. Geech never came here to coach.

Chris Gibson was listed as Head of Rugby Operations and at one time IM was involved in the coaching in his track suit and on the field.

But as usual we bow to your greater knowledge thank you.

Either way I am not sad to see him go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 12:08 by Tower.

Tower
Tower (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 11:59
Love this we agree with Bobba line.

MESSAGES->author
14 May, 2019 12:52
I don't claim any greater knowledge, I just looked on the club website.

We are all entitled to our opinions. Mine is that the active directors trying to run the day-to-day activities, together with successive coaching teams, have suffered from the hand-to-mouth nature of funding and repeated failures by the financial backers to live up to their promises, whatever the reasons for that.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 13:11
Quote:
Tower

Ffs! (Sm149)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 23:01
Albert is spot on, Geech was never DOR

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
15 May, 2019 07:04
Quote:
Wildwillie
Quote:
Tower

Ffs! (Sm149)

You're only jealous!

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
15 May, 2019 08:16
The Doomies are taking over the asylum!

(Sm50)

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
15 May, 2019 11:49
Quote:
Wildwillie
(Sm50)

As head keeper you should know, after all look at your own avatar! For my part, I would rather be a Doomie than a dummy!

Tower
Tower (IP Logged)
15 May, 2019 14:21
At the moment on Geech I am in the Bobba cheerleader group

Come on Bobba

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
15 May, 2019 17:19
Quote:
Tower
...Come on Bobba

(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
15 May, 2019 19:16
Quote:
Albert Fishwick
I don't claim any greater knowledge, I just looked on the club website.
We are all entitled to our opinions. Mine is that the active directors trying to run the day-to-day activities, together with successive coaching teams, have suffered from the hand-to-mouth nature of funding and repeated failures by the financial backers to live up to their promises, whatever the reasons for that.

You speak a lot of sense, once again, Albert.

smiling smiley

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
15 May, 2019 19:59
Quote:
Wildwillie
(Sm50)

Doomie - check
Miserati - check

Right - check
;-)

stonecross
stonecross (IP Logged)
23 May, 2019 07:20
ďAn important part of my role will be to build relationships with businesses, sponsors and clubs across Yorkshire to create ultimately a sustainable base to build professional rugby here in Yorkshire."
Oh and I will change the name to Yorkshire to engage with other Yorkshire clubs and become the predominant club in the county.
Failed on both counts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net