Latest news:
20/21/22 September KO TBC, Nottingham Rugby v Yorkshire Carnegie (we hope)
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

Well done Newcastle
Discussion started by opuscoitus (IP Logged), 12 May, 2019 17:55
MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus
12 May, 2019 17:55
Just returned from a weekend at the Euro Finals and fair play to Newcastle they really can organise a decent event, the whole city couldn’t do enough for all visiting fans and st James park is a great venue for rugby the rugby village packed all weekend and plenty for all,

Games were very well contested and deserved winners in both, Saturday was a sea of blue and determined to enjoy the craic win lose or draw, old school tie brigade will never let it happen but provincial rugby is the future those guys were everywhere and outnumbered Sarries 4-1 easily, some great banter by all

Highly recommend the split chimp micro pub 2 mins from railway station belting selection of Ales/ciders as well as gourmet pies,

Top weekend and Newcastle certainly proves finals can be held up north and give the south a real run for its money

Bobba
Bobba
12 May, 2019 18:27
Both games did Rugby proud. The Sarries win was spectacular. Brad Barrett got the man of the match, but in my opinion he was overshadowed by Alex Lozowski who was amazing.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
12 May, 2019 21:31
Two brilliant finals with deserved winners overpowering the opposition.

Have to admit I only saw it on the TV but St James' Park looked an excellent venue.

England are playing there in the Autumn of course.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus
12 May, 2019 22:05
Nearly all supporters from both clubs and neutrals I spoke with were at a loss as to why spurs ground is hosting the finals in 2 years apart from financial of course, Marseille next year and most agree travelling round Europe is the thing to do, but the Leinster fans will travel anywhere,

If anyone thinking of going to England game views are great all way round hotels on Quayside appear most popular plenty of bars etc as you would expect in Newcastle

Think it will be a shadow England team but would recommend if anyone interested great weekend

Newcastle have raised the bar pretty high and would take some beating even in spurs posh new ground

JDH1
JDH1
12 May, 2019 22:24
Who do eng play at St James?

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus
12 May, 2019 22:43
Italy,

Wales and Ireland at home think that will be 1st xv with squad making up the Italy match I think,

Just had a look at tickets £25-50 so decent value who knows cipriani and Goode (who was excellent again yesterday) might figure?

leeds_shark
WPL
13 May, 2019 15:57
I went to with a friend as a bit of Dads and Lad's trip (all primary school age 9,7,6).

What a great stadium and venue, the whole city seemed to buzz, whether it was the Leinster fans or just because I'm not sure - loads of friendly banter on the way up to the ground. I did see Split Chimp bar and thought it looked a good place

Unfortunately a bit of aggro in front of us with someone reacting badly to being covered in beer (not judging as both parties were hardly innocent) but quickly sorted out and the fans around us made sure it was soon forgotten about - I loved the banter between a Newcastle United steward and a Sunderland fan who was proudly wearing his shirt!

Surprisingly easy to get to and away from (we drove - I hear the trains were horrendous) - hopefully we will see more games up here.

I'm not sure of the quality of the England / Italy one, is it before or after the world cup squad is announced?

leeds_shark
WPL
13 May, 2019 15:59
Quote:
opuscoitus
Nearly all supporters from both clubs and neutrals I spoke with were at a loss as to why spurs ground is hosting the finals in 2 years apart from financial of course, Marseille next year and most agree travelling round Europe is the thing to do, but the Leinster fans will travel anywhere,

I suspect (in my cynical way) that they bid the most. TBH I do quite fancy going to it there as I reckon 17k in a single tier will be an amazing atmosphere - I think I'm more concerned England gets it twice in 3 years - it does feel it should be spread out more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net