Latest news:
20/21/22 September KO TBC, Nottingham Rugby v Yorkshire Carnegie (we hope)
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

The CVA
Discussion started by leemingtyke (IP Logged), 06 August, 2019 14:44
MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
06 August, 2019 14:44
An interesting article which landed in my Twitter feed this morning.

[rugbyandthelaw.com]

Tyko
Tyko
06 August, 2019 15:08
The author describes himself on Linked-In as a "future trainee solicitor at Morgan Sports Law".
Cambridge graduate with a First in Law.
From Surrey and judging by the last line of his article has probably got mates at Richmond !!

tightprop
tightprop
06 August, 2019 15:53
Well found, leemingtyke. The deciding factor seems to be that the CVA took place after the 2019/20 fixture list had been published. Therefore, any points deduction would affect that season, not the 2018/19 season, as deductions "cannot be made retrospectively." If a points deduction had been made for the earlier season, YC could well have been relegated, leaving Richmond still in the Championship.

My hope is that the board will act in the spirit of rugby, which distinguishes us from other sports. If the board is committed to that, they can surely find a way to ensure our former players are no longer liable for these medical costs.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
06 August, 2019 19:14
I guess the first thing to say is that, as Tyko alludes to above, we don't really know who this person is or what his motives are but, if you take the peice at face value, then a few things jump out at me:

1. The club is morally bankrupt but legally quite savvy.

2. The players under contract who found new clubs will only get 15% of the difference between their old & new contracts as opposed to 15% of what remained of their Carnegie contracts. In some cases, as it seems to be with Antonio Kiri Kiri, that will be a pittance and indeed, if the player is getting the same or more at his new club, presumably he'll get nothing?

3. It reinforces my long held, and sometimes posted, belief that you simply cannot believe a word the club says. It seems, from what Antonio is quoted as saying, that the club purposely played down the enormity of the situation to the players making it more difficult for them to find new clubs when the truth came out.

As others have previously said, the club should act in the spirit of Rugby Union and approach the players with an offer to pay the medical bills in full. It won't erase this shameful episode from the memory, but it is the very least that they can now do.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
06 August, 2019 19:49
Quote:
leemingtyke
......As others have previously said, the club should act in the spirit of Rugby Union and approach the players with an offer to pay the medical bills in full. It won't erase this shameful episode from the memory, but it is the very least that they can now do.

The very least indeed.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
06 August, 2019 20:00
So the CVA seems to be a sort of "get out of jail free" Community chest card - or is it?
If it enables a Yorkshire club to continue in the Championship, a club that has produced quite a few England players, then great.
But I readily acknowledge that there are certain moral standards that mean we are supporters of rugby rather than other games.
Carnegie pay the outstanding medical bills or you are bringing us, as supporters, into disrepute. If we get relegated next season, I can handle that, but if we financially cheat: what is there to support?

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
06 August, 2019 20:19
And even on a practical level Almo, if this is how Carnegie treats it's people, who in their right mind is going to want to play for us.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
07 August, 2019 07:11
Quote:
almostatyke
But I readily acknowledge that there are certain moral standards that mean we are supporters of rugby rather than other games.
Carnegie pay the outstanding medical bills or you are bringing us, as supporters, into disrepute. If we get relegated next season, I can handle that, but if we financially cheat: what is there to support?

Exactly!

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
07 August, 2019 07:51
But would such an action jeopardise 100% agreement of creditors to CVA?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
07 August, 2019 08:08
I understand your point BL, but the club have been clever in engineering financial survival (so it seems) and I am sure they could use the same skills to sort this, one way or another.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
07 August, 2019 09:18
Quote:
almostatyke
I understand your point BL, but the club have been clever in engineering financial survival (so it seems) and I am sure they could use the same skills to sort this, one way or another.

For "clever" I read "sneeky" (Sm124)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
07 August, 2019 10:01
Beeston, the medical company chasing players for payment of medical bills is outside of the CVA, so it should be do-able. As I've said before, I'm no expert though.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
07 August, 2019 11:22
Do we know how much money is owed to the medical companies?

Bobba
Bobba
07 August, 2019 11:35
Quote:
Wildwillie
Quote:
almostatyke

For "clever" I read "sneeky" (Sm124)

I could think of another way to describe money management at Headingley. But won't, as I don't appreciate boiling water!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net