Latest news:
20/21/22 September KO TBC, Nottingham Rugby v Yorkshire Carnegie (we hope)
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

Players' Medical Bills Resolved
Discussion started by tightprop (IP Logged), 08 August, 2019 08:26
tightprop
tightprop
08 August, 2019 08:26
This morning I received this reply from Gary Hetherington:

"I write in reply to your recent letter.

Firstly, thank you for your kind words regarding the efforts of the Shareholders and Directors who managed to fund the player and staff payroll until 30th June 2019 and thereby fulfil the contractual terms of all employees despite the unforeseen financial challenges which emerged at the start of the year.

And, with regard to the medical bills for players, you will be pleased to hear all 12 have been settled by a generous donor who contributed the £1,760 required to cover them all! The rules of the CVA made it illegal for the club to act during the period of the arrangement.

As you know, we now have a new Management team and soon to be signed playing squad and grow the Yorkshire Carnegie business.

With this in mind, we are about to launch a new Membership – The Yorkshire Carnegie Taverners’ Club with the aim of attracting 100 supporters like yourself into Membership. Is this something you may be interested in and if so, I can send you more information.

In the meantime, thanks again for your support.

Very best wishes

Gary Hetherington

Chief Executive"

Tower
Tower
08 August, 2019 08:40
Very good news which is very welcome at last.

This sounds interesting:

"New Membership – The Yorkshire Carnegie Taverners’ Club with the aim of attracting 100 supporters"

Thank you tightprop

North needs success
North needs success
08 August, 2019 09:14
Well that's good news. If it's true that all outstanding medical bills have been paid I wonder if Dan Temm will be as quick to praise the generous benefactor as he was to sling mud (notwithstanding the outstanding salary payments of course).
All in all a very sorry state of affairs which is the culmination of quite a number of years of mismanagement, and not just last season.
It seems like the north is not going to see success for quite some time!! All went downhill after getting rid of DE in my opinion as I have said on numerous occasions before.
Still all very sad.

leeds_shark
WPL
08 August, 2019 09:52
Well done to the benefactor whoever it is (I wonder if it is a board member acting in a personal capacity). Whoever it was it shows there is decent people attached to the club!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
08 August, 2019 10:26
Yeah, very glad to see that common sense has broken out and this has been sorted.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
08 August, 2019 11:50
Just to qualify my previous post, standard Leemingtyke operating procedures state that I don't believe owt the club says til it's been independently verified!

So I won't put the bunting out til one of the players who are being chased for medical fees confirms it's happened.

JDH1
JDH1
08 August, 2019 12:48
Well done that person. All this media coverage and mud throwing for 1700 quid! Between 12! I know its the principle but.....

And we'll done tight head and GH.

Lets move on.

Billy ba
Billy ba
08 August, 2019 13:20
And 3 so called supporters are never going again according to their posts

SimonG19
SimonG19
08 August, 2019 16:38
There are some seriously deluded posters here if you think all the bad press obtained by the club is due to "1700 quid! Between 12!"

headingleytyke2
headingleytyke2
08 August, 2019 17:09
It's the way the club is run. The medical bill is just part of it

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
08 August, 2019 17:13
Quote:
Billy ba

Surely all supporters will be pleased to hear that the medical costs have been cleared? Hopefully this is the end of this particular issue.

Let’s face it- the last few months have been incedibly difficult to be a supporter of the club- no-one can be happy with the way things have gone and the impact this has had on last year’s players and coaches. Some of the players had gone right through the academy into the first team squad, some had travelled half way round the world to have contracts cancelled. All were affected.

Martyn Wood and Joe Ford were not part of the setup last year and are now tasked with rebuilding, which is a huge and difficult task. It would be good if we could all get behind them as they try and do that.

JDH1
JDH1
08 August, 2019 17:26
Well said

MESSAGES->author
Madtyke
08 August, 2019 19:06
It's a sorry tale but like Haxbytyke and Mark Cotton I'll be watching my rugby elsewhere next season after 20+ years of trailing across the UK and Europe watching the team, oh and holding banners up demanding parity when we went up to the APL.
So I.must be one of the 3 supposed supporters. You're a bit of a late comer BillyBa to be criticising those who have done the hard yards. If you look at my profile I came onboard this site at it's inception along with a few others.

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
08 August, 2019 19:07
This is absolutely excellent news, when viewed from any angle, surely? We know that £1700 is not going to right all the wrongs that have happened in this mess. But many of us recognised that a line had been crossed and the club have put that right, by whatever means.

The club are not saints but I think that Carniegette2 has hit the nail on the head.

Billy ba
Billy ba
08 August, 2019 20:13
I think it's a shame that Madtyke and the others wont be there this season. Because one possibly disgruntled player who also decided to move on half way through his first season posted a letter on twitter. People reacted without waiting for reasons or explanation. Right or wrong. I think now is the time the club needs supporters like yourselves more than ever. I've never had chance to watch us play in Europe and I'm envious of you being able to do so. Many clubs have had there problems and disappeared. Don't let it happen to Yorkshire Carnegie. Back to watching Luther Burrell play for Warrington tonight now.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
08 August, 2019 20:30
Good post Billy. I fully agree.

It is great that we have supporters with a long heritage, as a Johnny Come Lately myself I am envious of the European trips etc that I missed.

But in the here and now: who is going to support the club in their hour of need?

I made it clear that medical bills were an issue, but to their credit the club have sorted that.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke
08 August, 2019 20:38
Quote:
almostatyke
Good post Billy. I fully agree.
It is great that we have supporters with a long heritage, as a Johnny Come Lately myself I am envious of the European trips etc that I missed.

But in the here and now: who is going to support the club in their hour of need?

I made it clear that medical bills were an issue, but to their credit the club have sorted that.

But the club haven't sorted it, somebody has bailed them out. They have not denied the bills were outstanding, yet, in my opinion, misled the supporters, (again) with regard to the CVA. Why would any body trust another word they say, and why would any player, want to come to play for a club that has let players down as it has. I would not be at all surprised if, when the season starts, we read the Carnegie game has been postponed, because Carnegie cannot raise a team.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
08 August, 2019 20:44
Hax, the club could not officially pay the medical bills because of the CVA protocol. But they found a way to sort it, and I like to think that pressure from the guys who post on this board were a great force in this.
We all know the ongoing problems we have.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
08 August, 2019 20:56
Confirmation from Dan Temm that the medical bills have indeed been paid.

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 21:10 by leemingtyke.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
08 August, 2019 20:59
Great news to have that acknowledgement.

JDH1
JDH1
08 August, 2019 22:21
Would be nice to hear of a few signings tomorrow

MESSAGES->author
Leeds Carnegie Signed Flag
09 August, 2019 19:10
Quote:
Billy ba

I think I’m one of those 3 but after years of watching the decline and as Madtyke said trailed the country to watch the team either from the Premiership or even further back when we were in the old National 1 division but now I’d rather tank up the car for £70 spend £40+ on a ticket and £100+ for a weekend away and watch Gloucester Rugby down at Kingsholm
Yes I’ll still be watching the progress of Leeds but probably won’t be going through the gates to Headingley again
It’s just been lies after broken promises over and over again
However I’m still waiting for this 3 year plan to materialise

Some say he has a Tykes flag with team signatures on.
Others say that he's doing the same to the Carnegie flag,
All we know is that he's called Leeds carnegie signed flag.

headingleytyke2
headingleytyke2
09 August, 2019 20:08
Signed flag I totally agree. As previously stated I will either go to coventry, 30 mins away, Nottingham 55 mins and Bedford just over the hour.
As I said previously it's not players, it's the lies from the management and they are still there.
As a child not spend money unless it was in your account. Something management did not do when going south for players

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
09 August, 2019 20:38
So,

I completely get, that the club have repeatedly deliberately misled supporters for many years, treated Stirlo and his team absolutely appallingly and have presided over years of abject failure to the point where we are now on the brink of becoming a Premiership teams reserve team just to survive, and that those people are still in situ. It's embarrassing and I totally understand long standing fans walking away having had enough. I agree with all that and, further, if we do become a Premiership reserve team or worse, if we put a team of University students out against reasoned Championship performers without any regard for their safety, then I may well be one of those walking away.

However,

This idea that the club have done something wrong by awarding contracts based on promised money is absolute nonsense. Every professional sports team does that. If Semore Kurdi pulled out of Newcastle with no warning they'd be right in it and they have players on multi year contracts - are they negligent? Geraint Thomas was one year into a three year year contract when Sky pulled their sponsorship - were they negligent? Of course not.

Me and you might not run our finances like that, but sports teams the world over do. Carnegie have got so much wrong over the years, but not this

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
09 August, 2019 21:51
Best post I've seen for a while Leeming.
Sports teams do not have guaranteed overdrafts, just Directors' loans with no interest or repayment date.
Lots of sporting teams would be in a similar position to us if (God forbid) their benefactor went under a bus.
Not nice but a fact of sporting life.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke
09 August, 2019 22:06
Leeming, the difference is though, that in your examples, the money was there in the beginning. That was never the case at Leeds. IF, we had seen the money, and then the plug was pulled that is a different kettle of fish altogether.

COME ON LEEDS.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
09 August, 2019 22:20
Sorry Hax but that's just not true.

Sky set a date after which they would not continue their sponsorship, if Dave Brailsford had not found new sponsorship then his cycling team would have ceased to exist at that point with Thomas having two years left on his contract, a contact offered and signed on the understanding that Sky's sponsorship would continue.

Jon Wright had the money to bankroll Carnegie, he'd been doing it up until the point he pulled out, the same as sky.

MESSAGES->author
SideStep
10 August, 2019 07:09
I think in many ways this has just been the straw that broke the camals back for madtyke (who I've known most of my life) haxby and signed flag.
I've been going to watch Leeds 2001 with my dad.
I cannot even bring into words how much the club has gradually took away my love for them.
I genuinely was the 1st child mascot against wasps and loved so much that club.
But bit by bit it's been worn away.
And however someone looks at it you shouldn't assume its just the latest embarrassment/fiasco that's keeping the fans away.
It's a gradual process thats been close to happening for a long time.

The first Leeds Tykes child mascot...#leedswasps0203season. #cheersbentos

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke
10 August, 2019 09:43
Spot on Side Step! It is not only the few who post on here, but hundreds more as well.

COME ON LEEDS.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
10 August, 2019 09:47
Yeah, I agree entirely Sidestep

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
10 August, 2019 11:35
I agree with Hax - Sidestep is right to point out that it has been a series of events/gaffes over the years which have alienated the fans. Some of those gaffes I experienced first hand.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
10 August, 2019 12:37
It could be that some of our more recently recruited supporters, and that includes me, have not been ground down quite enough yet. As I didn't see much of the "glory days" of the Premiership - and I use that term relative to the grind of the Championship - then perhaps my expectations are somewhat lower.

MESSAGES->author
Rocky
10 August, 2019 13:19
I’ve been a Leeds fan since I moved to Leeds for Uni and was a season ticket holder for many years after moving to the other side of the Pennines.

A move south stopped me being a season ticket holder however the clubs actions off the field over the past several years fed the dissolution I felt. Seeing how they treated friends and players and the things I’ve heard made me realise the club and ethos I was a part of in the Leeds Tykes/Leeds Carnegie era is no longer there.

I’m very sad to see how things have unfolded and how many supporters have justifiably fallen away through a combination of frustration and apathy at the attidude of the organisation.

There has been a degree of blind faith and ‘drinking the kool aid’ over the past few seasons from some in this board. There were fundamental issues with the investment and the organisational structure which have been clear but dismissed by many saying ‘we should believe’. A bit like the current thing facing our country ‘believing’ in something isn’t enough to overcome the utter mess the club finds itself in. It is lucky to escape without a points deduction however the damage to the already dented reputation of the club is something that saddens me deeply.

JDH1
JDH1
10 August, 2019 20:15
I am going this season.

Bobba
Bobba
10 August, 2019 20:55
If I have read the tweets correctly the "benefactor" referred to was Yorkshire RFU. If I'm correct, I tip my hat to them in doing the decent thing, that our so called club failed to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 21:15 by Bobba.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke
10 August, 2019 21:07
If true Bobba, they have bailed the club out to save face, both for themselves, and Carnegie. It would have been very difficult for the Yorkshire RFU to have an affiliated club owing money for players' medical insurance.
Regardless of the fact these claims have now been settled, no club should ever be in this position. It took a tweet from a former player to bring this into the public domain, and it was never disputed by the club, an absolute disgrace.

COME ON LEEDS.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net