rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game : Saturday 6th Sept. 3.00 pm AP Home v Newcastle Falcons not on TV
Game After : Saturday 13th Sept. 3.15 pm AP Away v Exeter Chiefs live on BT Sport

Top attendances in Europe, 3 rd highest earners.
SK 88 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 14:52
We are the most attended club in Europe and have the third highest revenues amoungst comparable teams (i.e. not the Irish vecause theyand the union are one body).

Link to the full report here

1 Toulouse 27.4 33.5
2 Clermont Auvergne 19.5 23.8
3 Leicester Tigers 18.5 22.6
4 Stade Français 18.0 22.0
5 Racing Métro 92 17.2 21.0
6 Toulon 16.4 20.0
7 Brive 16.0 19.5
8 Montpellier 14.8 18.1
9 Biarritz Olympique 14.5 17.7
10 Perpignan 12.9 15.7
11 Northampton Saints 12.0 14.7
12 Bayonne 12.0 14.6
13 Castres Olympique 11.8 14.5
14 Harlequins 10.6 12.9
15 Gloucester 9.4 11.4

Sorry if that table doesn't look right, lower figure is pounds higher figure is euros. Really surprised Brive are so high up, Seat must pay a fortune for their sponsorship!

Attendances:

Position Club 2010/11 Average Attendance
1 Leicester Tigers 21,096
2 Toulouse 18,239
3 Clermont Auvergne 15,810
4 Munster 15,430
5 Bayonne 14,588
6 Leinster 13,707
7 Toulon 13,460
8 Northampton Saints 13,358
9 Perpignan 13,063
10 Gloucester 13,041
11 Harlequins 12,680
12 Montpellier 12,648
13 La Rochelle 11,973
14 Bath 11,853
15 Stade Français 11,722

Re: Top attendances in Europe, 3 rd highest earners.
ChrisC (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 14:58
Oh!!! Good stat - well done that man (girl?)

SK 88 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 15:04
From deloitte's sport business group, although to be a bit churlish all they've done is take the DNAGC (the french body) published revenues and use companies house to find the english ones!

Munster averaged 20k at thomund the total is lowered by them playing games in Cork, but Bayonne have done very well to get such big attendances.

Tiggs (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 16:49
Very good stats, and amazing that Tigers have 15% bigger crowds than anyone else, despite much cheaper tickets in France.
And to have such a revenue without a sugar daddy that the French have is unbelievable. Saints are our nearest comparable rivals and are £6M down !

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

Parma Jack (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 16:51
Hmmm...yes, but as the report says in the notes:

"Includes domestic home league matches only in 2010/11 (not including play-off matches or European Rugby cup matches or other fixtures)
Average for each club is for matches played in their normal home stadium, and does not include figures for home matches played by certain clubs in larger stadia."

But if teams play regular season domestic league home matches in other stadia (bigger than their "normal" home stadia), they can still claim the attendances as theirs (after all, people have turned up to see them).

Stade Français' average for the 2010-11 season (in all stadia) was 26,174 and Toulouse's was 22,070 - see [www.lnr.fr] under affluences. Leicester Tigers had a total home attendance (in all stadia) of 252,195 - an average home domestic league attendance of 22,927 - so I think you can only claim to be the 2nd most attended team in Europe (as far as regular season domestic league matches go), between Stade Français and Toulouse

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2011 16:58 by Parma Jack.

Rich W (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 18:45
How do Stade Toulousaine manage to make 50% more quids than us? What are they doing?

I'll tell you what I saw him
He was sittin' behind us down at the Pantages
And whatever it is that he's got up his sleeve
I hope it isn't contagious
What's her name? Is that her there?
Christ, I think he's even combed his hair!

Tiggs (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 18:52
Very little operating costs mean that they can generate more turnover, as they have more to spend on attracting money. A very rich benefactor who sponsors the club from his business also helps !

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

Stopsy (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 19:56
I think the ground is municipal therefore free

Parma Jack (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 20:20
Anyone have any idea what the cost of owning a stadium is? Any clubs that can make a profit letting it out for other activities?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2011 20:39 by Parma Jack.

Tiggs (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 20:48
That depends on whether you have finished paying for the stadium, are still paying for it, or as in Tigaers case, are still paying for it, and still have more building work to do, and pay for.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 22:48
Toulouse own the stade Ernest Wallon themselves. The stade Municipal where Toulouse FC play is as it sounds the council owned stadium.

I also don't know who is their "sugar daddy"? Their main sponsors are Peugeot and Orange, which I think might have more to do with having higher revenues? Aren't Airbus another sponsor?

The fact the French league has one game a week on terrestial tele (as I understand happy to be corrected) andd all the rest available on satelite means they get more money from TV and get more exposure=more sponsorship income.

Toulouse also have a much better clothing/kit range which I'm sure helps them eek out more of a difference.

Rich W (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 23:02
Quote:
Toulouse also have a much better clothing/kit range which I'm sure helps them eek out more of a difference.

Certainly true.

and I understand all the above I was just wondering about the extent of the differential.

Johns (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 23:02
Toulouse have a shop in the town with a great range of clothing. A much better range than Tigers.

Rich W (IP Logged)
05 September, 2011 09:49
That is also true. Their merchandise is really classy and the shop is right in the middle of town near the Cathedral-Town Hall Square (and yards from my late mum's friend's appartment) - much to be learned from les Rouge et Noirs.

JB78 (IP Logged)
05 September, 2011 12:36
Great to see Glaws and Quins in there, hopefully the bed blockers will be gradually outnumbered?

BigTiger (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 20:57
Is this tickets sold or bums on seats?

Johns (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 21:20
I would guess Tickets Sold

Rich W (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 21:48
Quote:
Rich W
That is also true. Their merchandise is really classy and the shop is right in the middle of town near the Cathedral-Town Hall Square (and yards from my late mum's friend's appartment) - much to be learned from les Rouge et Noirs.

And to be fair it seems they have been...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net