Latest News:

Next Game: AP : H v Gloucester Sat 16th September ko 3.00pm Live on BT
Game after: AP : A v Harlequins Sat 23rd September ko 3.00pm Live on BT

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Re: New kit launch date announced
Roger (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 09:30
Leicester City are delighted, the brown away strip they had all those years ago has now dropped down one in the list of all time awful looking sports shirts.

Johns (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 09:39
Quote:
Tigergeezer
That is proper horrible. Gob-smackingly naff. If I wanted to look like I'm wearing a giant bib, I'd go to Morthercare and buy one cheap to wear over a proper shirt.
Wallet very firmly snapped shut - I won't be buying one of those even when they're being flogged off for 15 spond a throw.

No wonder Canterbury went into administration.

Geezer do you think they will get 15 for them? confused smiley

Beckenham Wasp (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 10:01
That is a shocker of a kit. Why don't rugby clubs realise that their supporters want their teams to play in their traditional colours in hooped shirts. Newcastle's new 'Saracens' inspired shirt is a shocker too.

That is one thing soccer has sorted out. You would never get Newcastle Utd, Celtic, Sunderland, Stoke and any other team who played in stripes or hoops to wear anything different.

If you don't like it do what the Gloucester supporters did when they got rid of hooped shirts a while back. They boycotted the club shop and people started to wear unofficial supporters shirts instead. Gloucester soon changed back to hoops once shirt sales had plummeted.

Also the unnecessary wearing of change shirts when there is no kit clash gets my goat as well. That grey thing Leicester have been wearing is pretty rotten too.

tjs10 (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 10:33
I agree with those above who described it as fugly.

Zero chance of my ever buying one, even when they go on clearance sale.

Definitely the worst Tigers kit I have ever seen...and I have seen some of the prototype kits rejected in previous seasons! I dread to think what Canterbury's rejected kit designs were if this was the one that was chosen...

daktari (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 10:37
Well, it will bring a new challenge for the players, in "pride in playing for the shirt", it could however be tactical in that it will make the opposition feel sick, making it easier to beat them.

tbtb (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 10:46
I think it looks OK on the players, will wait to see more examples "in the flesh".

Rich W (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 10:53
The player's match shirts aren't awful and I love the thermal base layer but the 'classic' (or whatever they are calling it) is horrific.

alexglaws (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:03
for those of you complaining about the "bib" style on the shirts, while i agree that it doesnt look too great, there is nothing canterbury or the club could have done with that, as the new canterbury shirt designs have 2 different fabrics. one is sublimated and this is the sleeves and bottom half, while the front and back is more of a technical material, which due to its design, cannot be sublimated on, hence there not being any stripes on it. i think canterbury did this because people were unhappy with having sublimated club crests and prefed it to be a stitched version

from a gloucester supporter i can understand the dislike towards the shirt, but i suppose at least you are now "Tigers" with those stripes

Tigergeezer (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:14
Quote:
alexglaws
for those of you complaining about the "bib" style on the shirts, while i agree that it doesnt look too great, there is nothing canterbury or the club could have done with that, as the new canterbury shirt designs have 2 different fabrics. one is sublimated and this is the sleeves and bottom half, while the front and back is more of a technical material, which due to its design, cannot be sublimated on, hence there not being any stripes on it. i think canterbury did this because people were unhappy with having sublimated club crests and prefed it to be a stitched version

This kind of explains why the version the players will have to wear is the way it is - but what possessed them to make a cotton jersey one like that? The market sector for those versions isn't likely to be the more youthful fan who doesn't mind looking like a kn()b end.

Still, I suppose I should be grateful to them for saving me money.

The lowest depth to which people can sink before God is defined by the word 'journalist'.

Soren Kierkegaard

tjs10 (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:17
Quote:
alexglaws
for those of you complaining about the "bib" style on the shirts, while i agree that it doesnt look too great, there is nothing canterbury or the club could have done with that

There is nothing that the kit designer/manufacturer could have done regarding the design & manufacturing of their kits?

Seriously?!?

No wonder they went bust a while back!

I accept that we couldn't keep CT as they pulled out of the market completely but this kind of monstrosity was always the risk when Tigers climbed in to bed with a big manufacturer who always trots out the same generic templates to all of their customers.

Nike, Canterbury & Adidas are all guilty of it. Personally I think Tigers should have either:

- Forced Canterbury to agree to design a shirt outside of their usual template list (and no I don't count sublimated stripes on the body as being evience that this happened already) or

- Gone with another, more flexible kit manufacturer such as Stash (supporting a "local" kit supplier), Kukri (still a little "templatey" but more flexible than the Big 3, Kooga (should be able to handle the demand with little problem) or even possibly Akuma (bit of a gamble but VERY flexible with designs)?

daktari (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:18
They have saved me a fortune because myself, the mem sahb and the princess will not be buying them

tjs10 (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:20
Quote:
daktari
They have saved me a fortune because myself, the mem sahb and the princess will not be buying them

Likewise.

I'm really glad I bought the little one her first kit a few months back as that way I avoided having to buy this latest "design".

Tiger in the Bath (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:21
I think it looks much better on the players than a photo of it laid out flat. Have alook in the video here
">Promo video

27 April, 2012 11:24
alexglaws that is actually wrong. The Wasps change shirt this year has hoops that go all the way around the chest.

Leicester could have easily commissioned a design that was just a variation on a hooped theme that would have looked pretty smart rather than the frightful mess that they have ended up with.

[shop.canterbury.com]

I would imagine one of the marketing muppets or PR pillocks thought that a radical design would attract more media attention and sell more shirts. However these types tend to miss the point that there is a difference between a sports team and a normal consumer product. I doubt that I will see too many die hards on the Crumbie Terrace the new 'tiger pattern' next season. Completely counterproductive and will probably be a commercial flop. I hope they have not made too many of them already!

S4llyC (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:32
Isn't it great how the some posters on this board are fabric technicians, marketing experts, design consultants and economists all rolled into one? The wealth of knowledge is just staggering - I'm all agog!

27 April, 2012 11:34
Also having just seen the socks they are even worse. Truly horrid and pretty painful to look at the fully dressed player. I hope you enjoy watching them in it for two seasons!

Yorkie (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:34
Kitbag maybe looking at a financial black hole!!

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

vicky_c (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:35
tjs Adidas might be guilty of the template thingy to a degree but they do manage to accomodate Stade and make a flipping good job of it too.

If they wanted to be radical they should have gone for something a la Stade instead of this aberration

alexglaws (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:37
Beckenham, in which case i stand corrected tongue sticking out smiley in which case i wuold place the reasoning the on the plaib "bib" as being that the stripes detail was either too large to print on the front, or it would have clashed with the sponsor "Caterpillar", thus making it barely visable. or maybe a bit of both. when i first saw the teaser video, i though that the shirt would have had just plain red and white stripes on the arms and bottom half, with equal spacing between them. now that would have been an acceptable (perhaps even good) shirt

daktari (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:44
Gauging reaction from other rugby colleagues and other boards ,
I didnt mind being hated by other supporters but being laughed at that's another matter.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net