rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: AP : H v Worcester Warriors Sat 25th November ko 3.00pm not live on TV
Game after: AP : A v Wasps Sat 2nd December ko 3.00pm live on BT

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Re: New kit launch date announced
Yorkie (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 10:46
Quote:
Roger
Leicester City are delighted, the brown away strip they had all those years ago has now dropped down one in the list of all time awful looking sports shirts.

They're not finished yet. Wait til you see the new away kit!! (Sm6)

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

seori (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 10:55
Okay, even I think this looks awful! What is that supposed to be on the back??

Johns (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:02

ChrisC (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:02
Inspired by the Falling Skies TV series I think.

Rich W (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:08
I like Falling Skies - and I quite like that t-shirt.

Jeez we're hard to please.

ChrisC (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:14
Not really - it's just plain awful from the rear view.

Unless you like the things that the children in Falling Skies had fixed to their backs by the aliens.

This looks as if the got a green tee shirt and thought "Right what shall be do now?" "Anybody got a bit of that stripey fabric?" " Yes Damien, here's a bit I threw in the rubbish" "Great Justin - just stick it on the back of the tee shirt"

"Dahling that looks SO fab!!

penguin (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:16
well i like it and pretty sure it will sell... best get used to seeing it...

ChrisC (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:18
I think not!

Beckenham Wasp (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:23
In terms of a sport's team the marketing and branding is pretty simple really though I staggers me how often clubs get it wrong.

In terms of Leicester when I was growing up you knew they were nicknamed the Tigers, they worth green, red and white hooped shirts and much to my delight as a small child they wore letters on their back. (What joy I had trying to match the letters to the numbers!). These were three clear selling points that should have been used in the professional era to ram home the brand to the audience on the TV and in the stands. These were things that made Leicester unique and stand from the crowd and should have been used throughout its marketing and promotional effort.

For whatever reason Leicester and Bristol ditched the letters and other clubs departed from their traditional hooped shirts. Again the big soccer clubs would never muck about with their striped shirt designs. Most people can tell you what colours Newcastle, AC Milan, Juventus, Barcelona, Celtic etc are because their basic kit design has never changed. You see them over and over again until they are ingrained in your head.

If the Leicester supporters really are put off by the design complain, and then complain some more and some more until something changes.

seori (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:27
Quote:
Beckenham Wasp
For whatever reason Leicester and Bristol ditched the letters and other clubs departed from their traditional hooped shirts.

Forced to when regulations came in, I believe - as other teams with number idiosyncrasies were made to go 1-15.

Johns (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:31
As a club we wanted to keep the letters, it was PRL who made us and Bristol change, Bristol kept there's for an extra year because they had already purchased shirts for the new season.

The Academy team have letters again and the first team have the letter on the front of their shirts.

Once again PRL are the problem not the solution.

Rich W (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:31
And that's why the letters are now on the player's shirts again.

seori (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:37
Will they be on next season's kit?

Danjester (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:41
I've got to say, despite being a Wasps fan, your usual Cotton Traders kit has been fantastic for years. in terms of design and quality. Hell, I've even got one in the wardrobe!

This new design is awful. I'm not sad Wasps are moving away form Canterbury but I AM worried for what they'll come up with for the new England kit! The fabric on our last shirts was thin and felt cheap. Hopefully you'll get better clobber.

ra (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 12:18
That bib thingy is going to look bloody awful on any woman with a slightly larger than average decolletage (so that's me).

I'm not too bothered because I only buy a new shirt when my old one falls apart and despite what people say on here about the quality of the Cotton Traders shirts they seem to last an age. I'm clearly not the target market though.

http://home.zonnet.nl/fred.kitty/calvin/A_hob.gif

27 April, 2012 12:22
What reasoning was there for ditching letters? They should have been standardised on the Leicester model of A = 1 and O = 15 and it would have been fine. It really is not that confusing at all and is the sort of quirky tradition that people really like. The same with omitting 13 from on grounds of superstition. (It is the reason why Bath haven't won anything since!)

The problem at the beginning of professionalism was temporary advent of the evil that was 'squad numbers'. When watching a game you couldn't tell your @#$%& from your elbow. It still annoys me when watching soccer as you cannot tell which position the players are playing in.

In terms of the shirt after a bit more of a look it is still dreadful. Campaign to get rid of it.

Rich W (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 12:26
The rationale was that newcomers would be confused. So not patronising at all. Problem with standardising letters was that Bris did it in reverse.

james46 (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 12:47
All I can say is Haaa haa haa, what a horrible shirt.

Robb T (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 12:47
Ra - you are in good company. My decolletage is slightly larger than average as well.

27 April, 2012 13:00
That is what I meant. The letters system should have been standardised on the Leicester system. Pretty easy to understand and not confusing. Unless of course you struggle with the concept of O being the 15th letter of the alphabet! I even remember playing against a team with Roman numerals on their back!

Premier Rugby can be a real bunch of chumps. The other things that irritates me no end is the unnecessary use of 'change shirts' when there is no kit clash. Especially when the change shirt bears no resemblance to the club's actual colours. Plonkers.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net