rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: AP : A v Wasps Sat 2nd December ko 4.30pm live on BT
Game after: ECC : A v Munster Sat 9th December ko 7.45pm live on BT

Stade v Tigers ERC Cup Match Preview
TheLeicesterTigers.co.uk (IP Logged)
18 January, 2016 18:55
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/01/2016 16:05 by Tiggs.

Re: Stade v Tigers ERC Cup Match Preview
Rich W (IP Logged)
19 January, 2016 08:53
Thanks Chris - it never ceases to amaze me how much research must go into these things - especially for the European games - how you have such complete knowledge of the French and Italian squads I don't know. Much respect!

Interesting conclusion - I find myself a little torn between going for it and trying to build momentum and rotation. But if it's going to be as physical as you suggest I might have Opeti Fonua in the squad.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
19 January, 2016 09:30
Thanks very much Chris, let's hops for a Gallic shrug response from Stade rather than Enraged Farmers

Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
19 January, 2016 09:37
Thanks Chris. Great article. I too am torn and don't envy Aaron and Cockers this week. I think i would go for it, but with a hint of experimentation and resting for anyone who is carrying an injury.

In some positions it's clear who the 'going for it' vs 'rotating' option is, e.g Youngs is going for it, Thacker isn't. But in others i'm not sure. I don't think Manu is yet back in our best team. But it will hardly be not going for it if we pick him!

Very hard to prepare, when we will know before the match what we need, but during the week won't know what that is.

Rich W (IP Logged)
19 January, 2016 09:48
Manu's an interesting case isn't he? He needs gametime - and we need him back to his best - but I suspect that we also want to be quite careful with him at this point so I'd be looking to rest him some time in the next couple of weeks - he's been out a very long time. Whether that's this week - perhaps not. Is Matt Smith fit again? How far away is JdV I wonder.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
19 January, 2016 09:53
I would select our strongest team and go for the win, if we then find out before KO that it isn't needed/on, start and empty the bench early

19 January, 2016 11:03
I think the pragmatic approach is actually the one which has the best chance of unlocking a home semi-final, even if it is currently far from certain, as I think home semi's are now worth a few quid compared to the old, pre Gurning Bruce's day when they were loss makers for the club

However, perchance money will not rule and the Plumpyship may be considered a more realistic prize, so you are not alone in not being able to predict which way the choice will go

I might rest Freddie and would not bring back last week's restees, but we shall see .. we don't want a serious reverse, for sure

Thanks Chris

This pantomime; just put it .. behind you!

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
19 January, 2016 18:39
Excellent stuff Chris. Sometimes I wish I had your brains but then I think, well it wouldn't be me then.

Purebob (IP Logged)
20 January, 2016 07:17
Great preview as ever.
We have so many injuries I think we need to be careful. We have what, 14 players out ?

tricky !

Donate now to Cancer research

Rich W (IP Logged)
20 January, 2016 08:04
14? You mean more than [media darlings] Exeter?

Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
20 January, 2016 09:30
I think it depends on the state of those injuries too. If O'Conner and M. Williams are expected back in a few weeks and we are very confident in those timescales, then Fitzgerald, Croft and McCaffrey, Crane etc can have plenty of game time now and we can be confident in resting them later.

We know we are down to Burns and Bell at fly half for a period, but again do we know when O. Williams will be fit. It might be that we are very confident in getting him back by a certain date.

I think the time to be really careful is when the alternatives are out for the season.

S4llyC (IP Logged)
20 January, 2016 10:59
Great preview Chris - thanks again. It certainly makes a refreshing change to have options for this game, and with the careful management of our resources I feel really positive about the rest of this Euro campaign. I have confidence in our back-up boys - come on, let's do it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net