rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: ERCC : H v Castres Sat 21st October ko 5.30pm Live on SKY
Game after: AP : A v Newcastle Falcons Sun 29th October ko 3.00pm not live on TV

Current Page: 11 of 12

Re: O/T I had a cup of tea today
29 July, 2017 13:51
Pondering the forthcoming [not UPcoming!] season over a brew I thought, ''Shouldn't I be pondering my navel, rather?'' .. but on checking I realised I hadn't seen it for a few years, so I went back to pondering rugby potential ..

Hmmmm! Nice!

This pantomime; just put it .. behind you!

03 September, 2017 16:55
Well everything was going extremely well after the refurbishment. We'd served a nice group of old age pensioners which seemed to suggest that our investment was well placed.

Unfortunately a nasty group from Somerset (or thereabouts) turned up and garrotted most of my staff before the roof caved in. I don't want to point fingers but the Kitchen seemed a particularly weak link in our coffee serving experience.

arh53 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 09:24
I was in South Africa over the summer. They kept serving me something called Five Roses Rooibos tea. All very fancy but with no real strength.

In the end I had to say "no more of that Rubbiddos stuff" to the waitress (much to her amusement at my pronunciation), "go back to basics and give me some English Breakfast", strong up front with none of the nasty aftertaste.

For some reason it kept coming to mind walking away from the match yesterday.

Tiggs (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 11:52
I suppose that the trouble with tea blends is that if they have not been mixed and tried before, you do not know how well they will work, and they might just get better with age, and the more you taste them ? time will tell.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

08 September, 2017 07:31
So this week Iíve started to try and fix the roof at the Empire coffee rooms and put right the appalling tasting pastries produced by our supposedly expert chef in the kitchen.

But disaster upon disaster strikes. Having just repaired the handles (again) on very expensive China tea service set originally sourced from the Far East from an era when a very powerful dynasty ruled Iíve discovered some more cracks in the saucers. I blame that Somerset lot. I should never have got them out. Iím seriously thinking about cutting my losses and selling it on Ebay. I could probably still get a decent price and re-equip the Empire with a load more items from IKEA.

Still Iíve got some locals coming in over the weekend so surely it canít get any worse. Can it?

Yorkie (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 17:08
Great imaginative thread this. Thanks Rushden and the rest of you. (Sm3)

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

09 September, 2017 10:00
Quote:
Yorkie
Great imaginative thread this. Thanks Rushden and the rest of you. (Sm3)

Imaginative?

This is not just some tea rooms that have been conjured out of the ether!

This is The Empire Tea Rooms, lovingly created from bricks of pure gossamer sourced with divine intervention from the fairy quarries of Swithland; roofed [if somewhat delicately it seems] with tiles from far off shores and which are gently glazed with honey# [#we think] and cuckoo* spit [*at least, that is where it is thought to have originated]; with the grandest windows of rose water and shutters of jet; furnished with the finest tables and chairs rescued at great risk from the grandest of architectural colossus ever to fall and rise in the west; lain with delicate linen by Kukri, a mysterious clan of exotic spinners from no-one knows where; with superior china so delicate it can shatter at the slightest touch, but held properly will last through infinity; then to be filled beverages one can only dream of

Stopsy (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 10:45
I audited the accounts for last week's sales figures. Had the staff been a little more attentive to 4 of the customers that were waiting to be served but left due lack of service, the tea rooms would have turned a profit. I hope that this week the staff will serve every customer who presents themselves

S4llyC (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:29
Service still needs a lot of work. Customer satisfaction and quality of the items on the menu is way below par.

Oh, and I may have left a pair of rose-tinted specs behind on the table when I left today. They are of great sentimental value, so I'd really appreciate their return, if anyone finds them. Thanks.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:32
I think when you replaced the Manager of your establishment, you made an error of judgement. All these fancy cakes he's introduced appear to have no real substance to them and I worry they are not what reputed to be.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

arh53 (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:40
The rock cakes certainly turned out to be powder puff soft.

One of the bought in fancy cakes MAY have sat around a while, but when someone eventually tried it it turned out not too bad. Apart from that the rest were pretty unpalatable.

melton tiger (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 19:15
I expect Blowers will have a Bordeaux tonight - a St. Emilion 96 - a marvellous effort that as Richie would have said. It is the end of an era. He is the last of the old guard - Johnners, CMJ, John Arlot as well as Richie and Ted Dexter, Peter West and Jim Laker from TV. The last from the schoolboy summers with Radio 4 a constant if there was a test match on...

11 September, 2017 12:22
Oh dear another challenging weekend at the Empire that ended up in utter catastrophe.

It really canít go on. Itís no good me putting together the finest waiters and waitresses that Rushden has ever seen if the cakes and coffee that we serve continue to disappoint and in some cases leave a very bitter taste on our customerís palate.

I donít know how many times I shouted at the Chef last week but it seems it was all to no avail. In one cauliflower ear and out the other.

He tells me itís all down to a few little in accuracies with the flour and over roasting of the beans. I donít know what recipe book heís using but he certainly doesnít seem to be on the same page as the rest of the kitchen.

That said, and on a positive note a sous chef did produce a scrumptious (geddit?) bakewell tart and although said sous chef does smell a bit of vapour rub (tortious gag) Iím hoping this will produce better customer feedback over the coming months ( especially when we get into the Winter months and we need a bit more of a warming pastry feel).

The final nail in another appalling weekend was the failure of the fire blanket to do anything effective in putting out the kitchen blaze that erupted in the oven. Smoke was everywhere and for large parts of the day we couldnít actually see each other and perform in any coherent way.

Hey ho. Back to the roof repairs.

18 September, 2017 12:33
A better week at the Empire.

Clientele a lot less demanding.

We even managed to cope with our misfiring toaster which seemed to have a mind of it's own with under-done/over- done toast popping out all over the place. I thought the maintenance guy had fixed it last week. Seemingly not. Perhaps I need to look for another electrical repair shop.

Roof repairs continue unabated with still a number of holes to patch up.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 12:43
The tea was most refreshing this week but I'm afraid the china wasn't up to scratch and it went cold too quickly.

18 September, 2017 14:43
Yeah decided. I'll sack the maintenance guy. I'll do it for personal reasons as I'm very attached to my toaster which has a lot of sentimental value.

arh53 (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 14:51
I fear you need a new lock for your pantry, far too much toast is being pilfered.

18 September, 2017 15:02
Quote:
arh53
I fear you need a new lock for your pantry, far too much toast is being pilfered.

Do you want a job at the Empire?

18 September, 2017 16:36
Quote:
RushdenTiger (KT at work)
Quote:
arh53

Do you want a job at the Empire?

Aarrrrrrrhhhhh {53} No! Not if he keeps toast in the pantry. Toast must be fresh and toasted anew on every occasion

arh53 (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 18:35
It's fine, toast it, store it put it in the microwave (with a bit of cheese on top for a nice Welsh rarebit).

Not sure about the job though, with the record of dismissals you have had recently I would want an iron clad contract.

Current Page: 11 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net