Current Page: 1 of 3
Gatland picking his mates
Rich W (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 11:51

Re: Gatland picking his mates
Tiggs (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:12
Backs -

Dan Biggar, Elliot Daly, Jonathan Davies, Owen Farrell, Leigh Halfpenny, Robbie Henshaw, Stuart Hogg, Jonathan Joseph, Conor Murray, George North, Jack Nowell, Jared Payne, Jonathan Sexton, Tommy Seymour, Ben Te'o, Anthony Watson, Rhys Webb, Liam Williams, Ben Youngs.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

Tiggs (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:13
Forwards -

Rory Best (Ireland), Dan Cole (England), Taulupe Faletau (Wales), Tadhg Furlong (Ireland), Jamie George (England), Iain Henderson (Ireland), Maro Itoje (England), Alun Wyn Jones (Wales), George Kruis (England), Courtney Lawes (England), Joe Marler (England), Jack McGrath (Ireland), Ross Moriarty (Wales), Sean O'Brien (Ireland), Peter O'Mahony (Ireland), Ken Owens (Wales), Kyle Sinckler (England), CJ Stander (Ireland), Justin Tipuric (Wales), Billy Vunipola (England), Mako Vunipola (England), Sam Warburton (Wales)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

Tiggs (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:14
Just YBY and Cole from Tigers as expected.

19 April, 2017 12:15
Dan Biggar
Elliot Daley
Jonathan Davies
Owen Farrell
Leigh Halfpenny
Robbie Henshaw
Stuart Hogg
Jonathan Joseph
Connor Murray
George North
Jack Nowell
Jared Paine
Jonathan Sexton
Tommy Seymour
Ben Teo
Anthony Watson
Rhys Webb
Liam Williams
YBY

Rory Best
Dan Cole
Talupe Faletau
Ty Furlong
Jamie George
Ian Henderson
Maro Itoje
Any Wynn-Jones
George Kruis
Courtenay Lawes
Joe Marler
Jack McGrath
Ross Morriarty
Shaun O'Brien
Peter O'Mahoney
Ken Owens
Kyle Sinkler
C. J. Stander
Justin Tipuric
Mako Vunilpola
Billy Vunipola
Sam Warburton .. Captain

Second only to Tiggs

This pantomime; just put it .. behind you!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2017 12:21 by odd-shaped vagaries.

penguin (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:17
Well done Ben and Dan go well boys

19 April, 2017 12:18
Quote:
Tiggs
Just YBY and Cole from Tigers as expected.

.. well, for me that's good - even two too many, but the players no doubt don't see it that way

Tiggs (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:24
16 ? from England then.

Tiger in the Bath (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:28
Any Wynn-Jones? How about Alun's Mum then?

Johns (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:43
Outrage by some in the media.

'Hartley has lost out to England team-mate Jamie George'

Why? The best English Hooker of the two has been selected.

Rich W (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:52
Maybe it's the 12 Welshman compared to the 11 Irish and 2 - 2 FFS Scots?

I must have misremembered the recent 6N in which Wales finished second? Perhaps I've forgotten their continuous history of triumph against the Blacks and SH teams in general?

Stopsy (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 13:03
Who would you have picked then Rich? Let's replace say 6 of the Wales players with English ones.

Are you suggesting Hartley should be captain or even be selected because England have done well?

Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 13:13
Wales players who have got in on tight calls in my opinion are:

Biggar - Replace with Ford or Russell - offers another way to play
Davies - Replace with Ringrose or one of Scottish centres
Halfpenny - Replace with Brown or Goode?
North - Replace with any wing on form, Ashton? Probably Zebo.

I'd have picked all the other Wales players, and probably would have included Halfpenny and North just don't like the idea of them being inked in.

Non-Welsh players lucky to be there too of course, especially Te'o.

PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 13:15
Hartley is defo not Lions quality.
Not even the best hooker at his club.

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 13:44
I can see the Scots reason for being upset, anyone would think the Welsh had a good 6 nations. Whilst I'm at it he picked a lot of the wrong Englishmen too, too many Welsh picked on some sort of misguided loyalty?
But then we knew that before today, if Wales had won one more game, there'd be less Irish and English too.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 13:49
Were the Welsh comprehensively outplayed by England in the 6N, I seem to recollect but for a very well taken try from a wayward kick the result may have been different.

Surely the coaching team have a game plan in mind and have selected accordingly players who they think will fit that plan.

I too am surprised at the lack of Scots and agree with Duncan's iffy 4 Wales selections albeit 2 on form.

19 April, 2017 14:02
Surely the pertinent question is who would you have running the show .. once you have decided on that [Gatland in this case] it must, yes must, be solely down to that person, the one who carries the responsibility, to choose his squad

Rich W (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 14:07
Hartley wouldn't be in my England 23 let alone on a Lions tour. I wouldn't have take Cruis on the basis that he isn't fit. Teo's inclusion is frankly bizarre.

It's not that there aren't some weird, incomprehensible selections across the piece - there always are - and that's ok - but the absence of either Gray brother while AWJ gets in; the selection of Biggar over Russell and of Jonathan Davies instead of, as Duncan says, any of Scottish centres or Ringrose. with a captain who has no history of success against the SH to speak of and who isn't the best 6 or 7 available make this s team that's very hard to understand or support.

What we have is preponderance of ageing and out form players from a poor Welsh team at the expense of several young and exciting players who have performed better in better sides in games which offer the only useful metric we have.

Tom Paine (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 14:14
Cannot believe Biggar - a very, very limited fly half and part of the reason the Welsh backs are so poor. North, Davies and Epni are well past their best. Not anti-Welsh bias, Stopsy, just an honest attempt at player assessment. I would have included May or Wade for the surprise value. As Rich implies, the Kiwis have have little to fear from Gatland's selection - they've beaten most of them before.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 14:18
Johnny Gray I'll grant is unlucky but his brother has never impressed me, looks like a show pony and doesn't appear to work hard.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Leicester Tigers Poll

Tigers Best Signing for 2016/17 so far is.....

See results > Submit >>