rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: ERCC : H v Castres Sat 21st October ko 5.30pm Live on SKY
Game after: AP : A v Newcastle Falcons Sun 29th October ko 3.00pm not live on TV

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Well Done Ellis!
JK (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 09:41
England Squad for Argentina

Any unlucky Tigers?

Re: Well Done Ellis!
Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 09:54
Barrow possibly unlucky? I think Jones has basically picked a matchday squad and then filled the other places up with young players and players to have a look at. It's an odd tour, not many games but also with the potential for the Lions to raid you for 10 players on the eve of a test match.

I like that he's not rested those who just missed out on the Lions, puts them in a better position to be called up as replacements.

Rich W (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 10:02
Maybe Mike Williams - though his recent form on return from injury hasn't been where it was - and possibly BOC. I'd have liked to have seen Adam Thompstone get a chance.

Fuzzy Dunlop (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 10:07
Edit: forgot to check for replies and posted essentially the same as Duncan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/04/2017 10:18 by Fuzzy Dunlop.

Tiggs (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 10:07
So 2 Tours and 3 teams, but just 3 Tigers picked, tells a lot about our recent recruitment?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

Stopsy (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 10:26
Selfish I know but better for us to have more of them rested and a full pre-season

penguin (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 10:30
Tiggs if I am honest one is enough a good rest and full preseason will do nicely for the team.

KevinR (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 10:32
There's an odd balance to the forwards: as far as I can see only two hookers and three second rows, whereas loads of back-rowers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/04/2017 18:12 by KevinR.

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 10:33
It looks a strong squad, should steamroller Argentina. I assume that some of these players are on standby as injury replacements for The Lions.

Parcdeprince (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 10:50
There is a reasonable first xv in that squad, particularly up front, plus a chance for Jones to see a few potential bolters for 2019. Like it.!

Wing and midfield selection for the tests will be interesting.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 10:53
Ford listed as a Bath player rather than a Tigers one?

Think Jones is doing the right thing taking and hopefully blooding a load of youngsters. Especially now the monkey of the unbeaten run has gone.

Thought Tigers made a "policy" decision to reduce the number of English invitational players in our squad so we could reduce depth and increase quality? Then we "buy" Ford!!! With cover lacking/yet to be announced.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

SK 88 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 11:59
I think Bateman is unlucky to be honest. Will Collier is no great shakes at prop, I like Harry Williams that's a solid call, Paul Hill is an odd one, bad form in a poor scrum but good potential and previous levels.

Barrow is unlucky. I'm all for giving youngsters a chance but Isiekwe has played literally 2 or 3 games for Saracens. He'd be better off playing and dominating in a Junior World Cup win than holding tackle bags for the seniors. Its far too early to tell if he is going to make it or not, better to see if he makes Sarries 23 regularly next season then call him up for the AIs.

Overall I think he's taken too many off the wall call ups from the U-20s when we have loads of options more proven and hardly old at 22-23 themselves.

When ever I've watched Piers Francis for Auckland he's been rubbish. Not in competition with any of ours but I think Jones is guilty of over rating Super Rugby if he thinks he'll fit in international rugby.

Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 12:52
I'm pretty happy with that.

We will prob be losing Veainu to Tonga and maybe Kalamafoni (Tonga) Rizzo (Italy) and JPP (South Africa I hope not).

But it gives MOC a pretty good squad to come in fresh for Pre-Season.

No doubt some people will be hot and bothered by this but I'm not sure why they should be.

Wasps only have 3 in the lions and England (Daly, Launchbury and Haskell) and are top of the league.

20 April, 2017 14:10
Quote:
penguin
Tiggs if I am honest one is enough a good rest and full preseason will do nicely for the team.

This .. and I like the fat there are so many uncapped players

I thought it was traditional to take a couple of unknowns on the Lions tour, but maybe no more, - this sort of makes up for that

This pantomime; just put it .. behind you!

SK 88 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 14:56
Quote:
KevinR
There's an odd balance to the forwards: as far as I can see only two hookers and two second rows, whereas loads of back-rowers.

I make it:

LH: Genge, Mullen
H: Cowan-Dickie, Hartley
TH: Collier, Williams, Hill
L: Ewels, Isiekwe, Launchbury
F: Curry, Curry, Robshaw, Wood, Haskell, Underhill
N8: Hughes

SH: Maunder, Care
FH: Ford, Lozowski, Francis
IC: Slade, Mallinder
OC: Marchant, James
W: Cokanasiga, Earle, May, Solomona
FB: Brown

Only 2 hookers is a bit surprising but with no mid week games they don't really need one if he is set on his two choices. Same at scrum half.

Maunder ahead of Dan Robson is one that strikes me particularly as an odd call.

Tom Paine (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 15:33
Mallinder ahead of anyone is asking for trouble. Play him and Ford together and you've got a veritable colander.

Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 15:36
Is it over-cynical to speculate Jones might have an idea of who is on Gatland's injury reserve list and who isn't? It looks like England are well covered if the Lions need a back row or fly half at short notice, but if they need a full-back, hooker, scrum half then someone could need to be on a plane from England.

Bod (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 15:46
Quote:
IDLETIMES
It looks a strong squad, should steamroller Argentina. I assume that some of these players are on standby as injury replacements for The Lions.

Tengo la sensacion que este comentario puede volverte y morderte el culo! Una sospecha, nada mas.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 16:59
Eddie Jones has said he wants depth at Lock and he thinks Isiekwe can be another Maro. He is as good as Maro was at 19, although i think maro is a little more physical.

Unlucky for Barrow but he is not as talented as Isiekwe and is not going to be the next Itoje. Itoje had not played for the senior team when he was chosen for the saxons, it is all about potential at this point

SK 88 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 17:30
International rugby is never about potential its about here and now. At the moment he is not good enough to get into Saracens team, they are signing more locks ahead of him so show they think he is not likely to be in that team in next few months either. He is 19 today. Picking a lock that young is stupid, far more likely to build him up too soon and see him crash out than sensible husbanding of his career. He could tour in 2019 and still be young and callow for a lock!

Surely if the argument is that he is as good as Itoje then following a similar path of letting him dominant an U-20s RWC then establish himself in Sarries 23 before being capped is the better way of handling him?

Not saying Barrow is the only option instead, there are a LOT of locks I think should have gone ahead of him. Same with Maunder and the Curry twins, though at least the Curry's are playing regularly and very well in the Prem.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net