rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game : Fri 28th & Sat 29th July Premiership 7's away at Saints ko TBC
Pre-season: A v Ospreys 11th August, H v Treviso 18th August & H v Ospreys 25th August

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Gatland's reinforcements
Elder (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 08:19
Devaluing the shirt??
[www.skysports.com]
Bet Launchbury for 1 is chuffed with this news.

Re: Gatland's reinforcements
S4llyC (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 08:47
Absolutely shameful. At least if the Lions lose the series, which is beginning to look likely, it will mostly be Wales's fault...

tigersimon (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 08:49
Totally undermines Lions values. Selection is based on Merit not geographical proximity of your Welsh mates.

tigersimon (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 11:40
Finn Russell and Allan Dell have now also been called up.

S4llyC (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 11:58
Alan Dell? Didn't he used to be a BBC radio presenter?

I also heard Tom Jones and Charlotte Church were on their way. Goodey also tweeted that he'd packed his boots ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/06/2017 12:00 by S4llyC.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 12:00
In 1993 Martin Johnson was called up to the Lions in NZ from England's tour to Canada. 24 years later and its now impossible to get players from Japan or Argentina?

Yorkie (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 12:19
Hogg can't play again. "Don't need to bring anyone in as we have depth in the squad and don't want to disrupt the group who have gelled well".

Moriarty has to come home (from a very strong backrow group where there actually is some real quality in depth) and the Welsh alsorans get to join in!!!!

Joke.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Tigersfan1 (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 12:24
Yep. And Cozza was called up from N America in 2001 - went straight into the test team and was man of the match iirc.

Terrible management, bias and disrespect from Gatland, this.

Everton Tiger (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 14:00
My son has shown me a meme of Gareth Bale with the caption "More likely to be called up than any English player". How true!

Surely you have to earn the shirt. .not have it handed to you as a matter of geographical convenience.

Of the Welsh players called up none of them appear to play in a position where the Lions have "lost" a player.

Elder (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 14:25
Breaking news.......

[pbs.twimg.com]

leemingtyke (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 15:29
Think Gatland's losing it with the call ups though. 

I really admire his 'don't give a f $Łk attitude', and if he'd said that in his opinion they were the next best players I'd completely defend his right as head coach to pick who he likes. 

But to openly admit that he's done it on geography rather than merit is insane and de-values the shirt imho.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 18:21
To be a "Lion" (and get your number (Sm19) ), do you actually have to cross the whitewash and play, be selected for the 23 or just be part of the squad?

leemingtyke (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 10:42
Dunno tbh,

Saw a clip of Gatland on BBC2 after the England game and he seemed to suggest that you have to play.

If thats the case, and reading between the lines, I think he's realised he's messed up and now won't play some of them.

TonyMay (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 11:28
Actually I think it could be useful for the Lions - if.

If that is, they don't get anywhere near the test side (because the first and 2nd choice players are fit enough).

These guys are probably pretty amazed to be involved, and won't get the hump if they're not selected or told "your job is to hold a tackle bag". This might not be the case with "established international" players, even ones starting the tour late.

If however, any of them find themselves on the bench for the test matches - or even starting, then that's going to be a problem because 3rd or 4th choice Welsh players simply aren't good enough.

JK (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 13:09
I read that they're ALL reseres for Tuesday.

Tigersfan1 (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 13:49
Yes all on the bench so will most likely formally represent the highest level team our countries' rugby can offer.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 17:16
Wrong. Just wrong. Insults the shirt.

And if Breadman starts then ......

Or is even on the bench rather than Tipuric.

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 18:20
The mans an @#$%& which is why I've boycotted he tour

Rich W (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 18:29
He's doing more to end the Lions as a valid entity than any man in history.

daktari (IP Logged)
27 June, 2017 12:19
Nick Heath tweets "Gatland sensationally admits that reaction to "geography six" and devaluing of shirt caused coaching team to rethink playing them"

So he picks the Geography six then doesn`t play them because they are the geography six ,it must make them and the players who should have been selected all feel valueless.

Gatland has created a bloody mess and should be shown the door.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Leicester Tigers Poll

Tigers Best Signing for 2016/17 so far is.....

See results > Submit >>