rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: ERCC : H v Castres Sat 21st October ko 5.30pm Live on SKY
Game after: AP : A v Newcastle Falcons Sun 29th October ko 3.00pm not live on TV

Contract loophole closed. - May, the first and last
Jon T (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 12:47
PRL have voted to close the loophole that Johhnny activated so this'll be the first and last time its used.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: Contract loophole closed. - May, the first and last
Rich W (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 12:53
But that misrepresents the cost of May to us - the price was the fee + Ed.

Tiggs (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 13:23
And what about all of the existing contracts with this clause ?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

Rich W (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 13:36
I wonder if this will stand legal testing?

renko (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 13:40
rich W - wouldn't tigers net cost be May's salary for year left on his contract paid to Gloucester less (I am assuming he was on more than Ed) one year of Ed's salary paid in return by Gloucester to tigers? There will then I assume be an impact on tigers salary cap as May will be paid more the Ed. Was there an extra 'transfer' fee/ sweetener paid on top of the years wages I wonder?

Rich W (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 13:48
Well it's possible but since our need appears explicitly to be leading on this I doubt it.

Purebob (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 14:27
I bet the same happened with Freddie / Goldenballix too

Donate now to Cancer research

Jon T (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 14:49
Quote:
Tiggs
And what about all of the existing contracts with this clause ?

You can only assume that as it was a unaminous decision the agrement will be that no club is involved in a transfer of this type. However that may not mean a player could exorcise this to move outside of PRL.

johnthegrif (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 17:23
The situation with May was that he wanted to leave Gloucester for his own reasons, I can't think that Glos would have wanted to retain an unhappy player so they agreed to his departure and the fee was fixed by the contract agreement. On the positive side this prevents an auction. The snag with the clause is that a young player on a development contract but playing above that level and raising his profile could be lured away very cheaply. Players on higher salaries are less likely to be poached, remember Castro, he had reason to believe that Toulon were willing to double his wages, Tigers were willing to let him go providing they were paid an amount of compensation for the remainder of Castro's contract (I believe we agreed less than the salary amount). Toulon then never returned the paperwork, in desperation Castro buys himself out of his contract only to be told that Toulon didn't want him at the wage level he expected. Contracts should protect both parties, in rugby a young player would be foolish to sign a long term contract so the clubs need protection. With a player over thirty the club would be silly to agree a deal for more than two years, it is only with players between say 22 and 29 that long term four year contracts come into play and not many players are going to be worth a 400k transfer fee plus a similar amount in wages. Of course if the club want to off load a player and that player is unable to secure a job at the same wage and takes one at a lower level it maybe necessary to pay compensation for the difference.

Johns (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 17:39
I guess most players are under contract with the existing clause that PRL want to get out of.

How can PRL (the clubs) change the contracts without players agreement?

If the clubs want to change the contract expect they will have to have the agreement of the players.

In Tigers case our CEO is a solicitor, as a senior solicitor expect that he excluded this clause from the agreement. well I hope he did.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 17:48
Quote:
J the G

The snag with the clause is that a young player on a development contract but playing above that level and raising his profile could be lured away very cheaply.

There is protection re young players as the compensation is a year's existing salary or new salary.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Yorkie (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 17:50
Quote:
Johns

They can't.

But the clubs can have a gentlemen's agreement that none of them will get involved in using said contract clause now to be left out of any new contracts.

Johns (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 18:01
Quote:
Yorkie
Quote:
Johns

They can't.

But the clubs can have a gentlemen's agreement that none of them will get involved in using said contract clause now to be left out of any new contracts.

Is that like the agreement not to exceed the broken salary cap?

Just asking.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 18:27
Quote:
Johns
Quote:
Yorkie
Quote:
Johns

They can't.

Is that like the agreement not to exceed the broken salary cap?

Just asking.

No. Not at the moment. But the potential to be similar is quite large I would submit!

Johns (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 10:07
Quote:
Yorkie
Quote:
Johns

They can't.

Gentlemen, where are they going to find them?

Tiggs (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 11:52

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 13:34
What Rich said. It's all very well saying that PRL have agreed this and that but until/unless it is tried out in court I don't think we have seen the last of it. Remember MCC thought they had a cast iron case. Most of the fun in their case was their bemused re-action when they found out they hadn't.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 16:04
Quote:

Well they should get themselves more involved in stuff rather than just sitting back all the time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net