Latest News:

Next Game: ECC : H v Munster Sun 17th December ko 5.30pm live on BT
Game after: AP : H v Saracens Sun 24th December ko 3.00pm live on BT

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T Athletics
IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 13:06
It's been something less than triumphant, so far for GB, just like Minjchiello said it would be and has been ostracised by British Athletics for so saying. I certainly don't support Cram's view that 4th, 5th and 6th are great performances, they were even praising a last place in the 110 hurdles this morning. I really can't see where we are going to get another 5 medals from.
We went on Wed., had a bonus event, Makwale was given a chance to run the 200m. I don't know what went on between the IAAF, an organisation, even more incompetent than World Rugby and Botswana but the approx. 45,000 crowd made their feelings known, cheered him from gun to finish.
If you have never been, it is a really grand stadium. There is a multistory car park at Stratford and it is served by tube, rail and DRL. They prefer you to use the Jubilee line rather than the Central Line, either way it is about 10/15 mins walk to the stadium, through the shpping mall. Afterwards, the staff are really helpful, you have go where the staff say as they block off certain routes, to avoid bottlenecks I should think and when you reach the station, they tell you which platform to go on.The Jubilee line is easier because it terminates at Stratford. If you don't like being crammed in like sardines, a little tip is to get off at West Ham and change to the less crowded District line. We left the stadium at 9.51 and were back at the Civl Service Club at 10.55.
On Tues. we went to The Park Theatre at Finsbury to see 'Twighlight Song'. It is a brillant one act 5 scene play, with the best stage sex scene you will ever see, lasts, 75 mins with no break. We spoke to Giles Brandreth, he is playing Hamlet there at the end of Aug. and Jonathan Pryce, told him we had seen him some years ago in 'The Woman In Black' at The Fortune. He said he was having to take things a bit easier with a tricky ticker and high blood pressure. I said if it was any consolation, I have had two heart attacks and have never been fitter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 13:26 by IDLETIMES.

Re: O/T Athletics
Flook (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 13:15
Quote:
IDLETIMES
with the best stage sex scene you will ever see, lastS, 75 mins with no break.

What a man, what a man!

75 seconds is about my limit these days and I need a rest in the middle.

(Sm100)

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 13:30
Blimey, 75 seconds, even I can keep going for two minutes!. Forgot to mention, we also bought the last prog., which produced a cheer and a round of applause, bit of an unusual prog in that as well as having all the usual info in it also contained the entire script.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 13:31 by IDLETIMES.

Tigergeezer (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 13:35
Finsbury Park? Getting perilously close to Geezer country there, Idle. I can thoroughly recommend the little Korean restaurant very close to the station, called Dotori. Looks like nothing very much but the food is excellent.

The lowest depth to which people can sink before God is defined by the word 'journalist'.

Soren Kierkegaard

Rich W (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 15:26
Alec - really sometimes you shouldn't.

Having spent the weekend at the Championships I am significantly disappointed by several of our athletes performances - KJT and Holly Bradshaw are mentally week and in KJT's case technically incompetent in two events; Pozzi was unlucky but he should have been competing for a medal and he failed albeit not in the same way as the other two. There have been numerous other performances that have left me disappointed - but only because my hope exceeds realistic expectation - Sophie Hitchon (who underperformed but has a history of doing the exact opposite when under pressure), Laura Muir - whose performance to come fourth in a fiercely competitive field was a genuine achievement. And whilst they and others have left me thinking what if I challenge anyone on here to tell me in what field they rank as high as 8th (not last) in the world - by the way you mean 400 hurdles not 110 - as failure - Eilidh Doyle is no failure.

Perhaps you would like to name the last time we had a man take 4th in the 800 at a global level? Or in the 200?

The obsession with medals that drives our funding model is extremely unhealthy and does nothing to credit, reward or, critically, develop track and field athletes. It presumes a degree of arrogance. I find it distasteful and it demonstrates a profound lack of understanding of the nature of championship sport - for there to be medallists there have to be those who come in positions 5-8 and for there to be finalists there have to be those who go out in semis and heats. What is important is that those events are competitive - for that is nature of good sport - and good performances such that competitors get the most out of themselves with personal and seasons bests - for that is nature of good sportsmen and women.

I feel we're slightly behind where we should be in these champs - but to cite those whose personal and seasons bests have seen them come fourth in the world as failures is grotesque and frankly shows a complete ignorance of the sport.

Ignorance that extends beyond Athletics to public health as well! The reason Makwala was excluded is because he had a contagious, notifiable disease - taking it into a crowded arena filled with 60k people was irresponsible to point of criminality. His quarantine that he chose to ignore had nothing to do with his fitness or health and was intended to ensure that prospects of a large scale outbreak of the virus was obviated. It is a genuine mystery to me why no-one has bothered to mention the numerous others who accepted their quarantine.

I for one am delighted that Makwala did not medal. The only criticism one can lay at the door of the IAAF in this is that in trying too hard to support an athlete they pandered to him instead of disciplining him.

<dismount>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 19:10 by Rich W.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 18:43
4th place can be something to celebrate if a pb or sb

Rich W (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 20:53
Foo - another rubbish fourth...(Sm161)

Tiggs (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 21:35
And a poor 5rh

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

Rich W (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 21:44
Well 5th might have been better if she'd just stopped overstepping!

Still - next time.

Tiggs (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 21:59
Mostly young enough to have more chances to improve.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

Rich W (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 22:02
And if anyone had told me 10 years ago that we'd have a man come 6th in the Hammer I'd have said that they were mad.

Rich W (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 22:03
Agreed Steve.

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 11:51
Found it, 'geezer' like you say, doesn't look much but lovely food.
We are all different, some people are happy finishing 4th, others are not, I am one who is not. Bradshaw was undone by her coach waving his arms around, completely flummoxed her. KJT is a riddle surrounded by a an enigma, think she would be better off packing in the Hep.. She could easily medal in 3 events. All of our sprinters, unless they have a baton in their hands fell away over the last 50m.. That, as Toni Minicheillo has been saying for some time is a coaching need and won't be addressed as our coaching system has gone to pot.

Rich W (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 13:46
Have you even bothered to look at our listen to the utter devastation on the faces of those who have finished fourth (or fifth - sixth - seventh)?

Sometimes mate you talk utter bollocks.

You clearly know nothing about pole vault and Bradshaw. She was undone because she lacks the mental strength to commit and depends too heavily on her coach - he's doing his job supporting as best be can a mentally frail but gifted athlete. KJT is simple she cannot master two events and they are dragging her down, exposing her to her own demons. It is widely held in T&F circles that she will never make it to the top as a multi-eventer. There is no mystery. She is still an exceptional athlete and in the top 4 or 5 in the world. What are you in the top 5 in the world as Alec?

Our (our? Hmmm) sprinters faded in the last 20 metres and need to work on their speed endurance. It's not a coaching issue as such- they just need to race more. That is a governing body issue for insisting on over controlling their schedules.

Overall though - compare this meet to the 76 Olympics or 96. Our numerous other meets when 2 or 3 gold winning athlete's have hidden the fact that no-one else even made a final.

Sheesh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2017 13:50 by Rich W.

Tom Paine (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 15:32
Who cares which flag they run, jump or chuck under? Half the sprinters are Jamaican by birth, most of the Yanks are Afro/Carribean by descent and loathed by many of their white countrymen and the UK's only winner was born in Somalia. Oh, and the Turk's an Azerbijani! Why can't be just marvel at their skill and prowess as supremely gifted human beings? Athletics (excepting the silly relays) is an individual sport, like tennis and many others. This denigration of and sneering at those who don't 'medal' (yuk) is beneath contempt and a symptom of the fascistic (winner takes all, losers go the wall) mentality that is invading all walks of life.

Tigergeezer (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 15:38
I think the best in the world at what he did has good advice at this point.

The lowest depth to which people can sink before God is defined by the word 'journalist'.

Soren Kierkegaard

Rich W (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 18:47
Quote:
Tom Paine
Who cares which flag they run, jump or chuck under? Half the sprinters are Jamaican by birth, most of the Yanks are Afro/Carribean by descent and loathed by many of their white countrymen and the UK's only winner was born in Somalia. Oh, and the Turk's an Azerbijani! Why can't be just marvel at their skill and prowess as supremely gifted human beings? Athletics (excepting the silly relays) is an individual sport, like tennis and many others. This denigration of and sneering at those who don't 'medal' (yuk) is beneath contempt and a symptom of the fascistic (winner takes all, losers go the wall) mentality that is invading all walks of life.

Amen Tom - well except for the relays - they being the only events in which I ever won a race.

Oh and while I appreciate athletes of all nationalities I can still enjoy a Brit winning.

And even am Aussie - well done Sally- onya Ocker!

Rich W (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 21:33
Nope - still love relays!(Sm100)(Sm60)(Sm46)(Sm48)hot smiley

I even don't really hate the team tactics in the 5k.

rainbow (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 08:08
Any indication why the usa flag was not dipped during the medal ceremonies.

Parcdeprince (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 08:22
Athletics seems pretty cutthroat. Money to be made by a global superstar, not much left for anyone else. Farah seems to have said that he is turning to the marathon now in order to earn some appearance money. So all our fourth placers will come away with very little beyond the experience of it all.
Unlike, for example tennis or golf where a decent living seems to be made by the top 100+ players.
My impression is that British athletes are effectively subsidised by the lottery, USA athletes by the college system. How do all the others make it ends meet?? Good luck to them all, my feeling is that being fourth best at something from the entire population of the planet is pretty good, the more so when it is a basic human attribute which is being tested - how fast you can run etc.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net