Latest News:

Next Game: AP : H v Gloucester Sat 16th September ko 3.00pm Live on BT
Game after: AP : A v Harlequins Sat 23rd September ko 3.00pm Live on BT

Cockers article
Tiggs (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 12:04
A good read.

[www.scotsman.com]

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

Re: Cockers article
Rich W (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 13:30
Makes you wonder doesn't it?

KevinR (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 14:09
Terrific stuff.

irishaxeman (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 15:22
Quote:
Rich W
Makes you wonder doesn't it?
not me.....the first two Edinburgh results add lustre to Cockers' legend. Tigers mistake IMHO.

tigersimon (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 15:28
Brilliant read

'environment/culture'!!

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 21:05
Funny though I don't remember all those promising young 'uns here?

daktari (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 22:15
Our King Richard remains loyal to the Leicester crown but clearly name checks Ben Kay ,I will leave it to the good folk who inhabit this board to consider why he did that.
All the best Cockers and you really were the last of the Tigers breed.

Purebob (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 23:25
Quote:
tigerburnie

Young uns who came though on Cockers' watch ?

Youngs
Youngs
Cole
Manu
Thacker
Evans
Ford
Slater
Balmain
Brookes

and a whole lot more bought in and enhanced like Parling.

Donate now to Cancer research

JK (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 05:50
A big part of "the Tigers Way" has always been to bring in promising/good players from elsewhere and make them better. Parling, Flood, Gibson, Howard, Corry and even Cockers going back some. When we try to sign superstars, it doesn't always seeem to work out. Serevi, Kronfeld, De Villiers, JPP..

For me, The Cockers legend is undimmed but I believe will become enhanced. Familiarity though breeds contempt and sometimes you have to go elsewhere to show that you can do it there too and to remind people what they are missing.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 07:30
He did alright too with an under performing group of players in Toulon in a very short period of time.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Johns (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 07:43
We need a new name for the South Stand as the board did not like the old name.

How about the Cockerill Stand

Yorkie (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 07:50
Quote:
Johns
We need a new name for the South Stand as the board did not like the old name.
How about the Cockerill Stand

Can't imagine Cockers giving the club cash to sponsor that stand!!

Now, if a rich man like your good self was to sponsor the stand John then no reason why you couldn't name it how you want. .....

Fat Boy (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 09:32
Quote:
Purebob
Quote:
tigerburnie

Young uns who came though on Cockers' watch ?

Youngs
Youngs
Cole
Manu
Thacker
Evans
Ford
Slater
Balmain
Brookes

and a whole lot more bought in and enhanced like Parling.

For me you have just reinforced the point - the top 4 and hopefully Ford now he's back all came through relatively early on, have become top notch players (injury permitting in Tuilagi's case), and have been stalwarts of the club. The rest who are more recent? In the case of Thacker, maybe he'll get there (and that's a big maybe) - but otherwise just not the same standard, and they haven't stayed.

I don't know enough about the youth and development side to know where the talent conveyor belt is broken, was it Cockerill not supporting the players to get from development squad to top notch standard or was it the youth system not identifying the right kids and/or not developing them properly? But if it's the later no coach is going to thrive if there's little by way of real talent being developed locally to keep the pressure on the first team, and provide quality club players who cost less (I would imagine that it will always cost more to tempt a player to come than to get one to stay).

Yorkie (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 10:09
Supporter demands making it impossible to take the risk of playing youngsters?

Rich W (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 10:16
^ correct.

Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 10:33
Brookes was neither a youngun or came through.

End of the day he has to use the youngsters at Edinburgh because 1 the SRU can't afford to bring in many foreign players and 2 they want the youth to be brought through.

Not sure I agree about the supporters demands and balance etc, I used to think that but Sarries are styarting to show you can, it would have been easier to do it on the winning platform we used to have rather than the current platform now.

Although saying that only a handful of academy lads have gone on to make me regret not keeping them. Still think it's a shame we didn't keep Milne in some capacity but things happen i guess.

Fat Boy (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 12:23
Quote:
Ayerza wannabe
I used to think that but Sarries are styarting to show you can,

Sarries are only doing now, what we did fairly frequently up to about 5 years ago (in my opinion). I used to love the international periods for the way the young guys would come in and bust a gut trying to win a slot in the team - and they could do so in the knowledge that however decorated the absent player was, if they were playing better they'd be in.

Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 12:55
Quote:
Fat Boy
Quote:
Ayerza wannabe
I used to think that but Sarries are styarting to show you can,

Sarries are only doing now, what we did fairly frequently up to about 5 years ago (in my opinion). I used to love the international periods for the way the young guys would come in and bust a gut trying to win a slot in the team - and they could do so in the knowledge that however decorated the absent player was, if they were playing better they'd be in.

Indeed something that hasn't really been done by us for a while now.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 13:52
Quote:
Ayerza wannabe

Although saying that only a handful of academy lads have gone on to make me regret not keeping them.

Exactly. If not good enough to keep, hardly good enough to play first team?

Quality problem with the pipeline? Or quantity/quality just not there for us to mine?

000mjg (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 11:09
"little Englishman" LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net