rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: ERCC : H v Castres Sat 21st October ko 5.30pm Live on SKY
Game after: AP : A v Newcastle Falcons Sun 29th October ko 3.00pm not live on TV

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Exeter game
Tom Paine (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 09:11
The Aussies have won, Rich. They've always wanted to turn Union into League. There is no fair contest for the ball at most breakdowns or the scrum now and once teams have sorted out their lineout drills and hookers learn to throw down the home channel, that will go to. The 31 phase start by Exeter with Wasps not contesting the breakdown looked awfully like the future of the game. God it was dull. And the hulk on hulk collisions clearly increased the number of head injuries.

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 10:46
Quote:
Rich W
I don't want to see Dom Barrow and Dan Cole et al cluttering up the backline by standing still in the 10/12 channel - I want them smashing rucks - smashing past rucks - making hard yards round the fringes and coming from deep when they carry. Is it too much to ask?
Amen to that with bells and whistles on

25 September, 2017 13:17
Quote:
Tom Paine
The Aussies have won, Rich. They've always wanted to turn Union into League. There is no fair contest for the ball at most breakdowns or the scrum now and once teams have sorted out their lineout drills and hookers learn to throw down the home channel, that will go to. The 31 phase start by Exeter with Wasps not contesting the breakdown looked awfully like the future of the game. God it was dull. And the hulk on hulk collisions clearly increased the number of head injuries.

Dull yes .. I was thinking that and how long the game seemed .. bit like watching SArries

Tigerburnie: ''Quote: Amen to th[is] with bells and whistles on'' ......

Rich W
''I don't want to see Dom Barrow and Dan Cole et al cluttering up the backline by standing still in the 10/12 channel - I want them smashing rucks - smashing past rucks - making hard yards round the fringes and coming from deep when they carry. Is it too much to ask?''

Gets me a bit religious too .. there is still much to improve upon, from the pulpit

This pantomime; just put it .. behind you!

Rich W (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 13:43
Quote:
Tom Paine

Just in time for them to watch their game die on their watch.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 14:37
Everyone predicts the death of the openside with every law change. Usually the NH eagerly adopts this until NZ produce another great openside and then they come back into fashion.

Turn overs are still there for the taking if done quickly and accurately. There is also more to a 7s role than just turning it over. Evans is our best attacking 7, maybe just behind O'Connor.

Club Shop
daktari (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 14:54
Sorry wrong thread posted previously.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 25/09/2017 14:59 by daktari.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 20:41
Quote:
Rich W
I'm not sure they it's the case that we haven't got the players in the forwards to win the physical battle - not that you'd ever refuse some extra beef - so much that we don't know how to use them.
I don't want to see Dom Barrow and Dan Cole et al cluttering up the backline by standing still in the 10/12 channel - I want them smashing rucks - smashing past rucks - making hard yards round the fringes and coming from deep when they carry. Is it too much to ask?

And can the forwards do some of the breakdown work our backs are currently doing please. Keep the creative ones on their feet creating!

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Rich W (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 21:10
As Tom Paine pointed out the other day it isn't quite as simple as that.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 22:17
Quote:
Rich W

Oh I know that. But the balance is currently wrong imvho.

But first things first. How about we take a few passes when we're already on the move?

Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 22:19
Am guessing Evans whole game tonight means bench at best for him?

Rich W (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 06:17
Quote:
Yorkie
Quote:
Rich W

Oh I know that. But the balance is currently wrong imvho.

But first things first. How about we take a few passes when we're already on the move?

I agree on both scores.

Tom Paine (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 10:43
Several major changes to law and interpretation have made the breakdown harder to contest:
1. the new law prevents the tackler staying in the tackle area and contesting the ball - he/she has to release, move away and enter through the gate. Except in an isolated one v one, this effectively removes the tackler (often the 7) from the breakdown.
2. Referees are allowing the tackled player a lot more movement after the tackle. Some excesses are being picked up, but 'not held' now appears to mean 'not held stationary on the ground for at least two seconds' and tackled players are allowed to move their bodies to block attempts on the ball.
3. Sealing off is being ignored, as is diving over the tackled player by the offence.
4. Only one player from the defence (a non tackler) is allowed to contest the ball which has to be grasped immediately (no clawing back). A second man who has a go is always penalised as a ruck is deemed to have been formed. The player attacking the ball is very vulnerable to being taken out from the side (which is against the law but is largely ignored unless there is a clear neck roll (usually picked up by the TMO).

The net result is that defences are reluctant to commit to the breakdown though the odd counter ruck is still allowed, though the number of bodies on the floor often prevents this tactic. So why employ a lighter jackal 7 when you can have another big mobile backrower (Armand, Williams) in the line to do the crunching and carrying? I too mourn the loss of the 7, but the reduction in contest is the real worry.

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 19:09
And, of course, the TMO will be keeping a close eye on any offences!

Yorkie (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 20:07
Quote:
IDLETIMES
And, of course, the TMO will be keeping a close eye on any offences!

Should that have been closed eye Idle?

Johns (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 20:44
When do they reduce the number of players in each team by 2?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net