Current Page: 1 of 2
YBY fights back against global season
Tiggs (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 11:12

Re: YBY fights back against global season
Tiggs (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 11:12
And possible strikes ?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

vicky_c (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 11:52
I don't blame him. Authorities make noises about player welfare and preventing burnout and do absolutely zip about it.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 12:09
And Ben plays in one the less physical positions, with due respect to all scrum halves

Rich W (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 12:40
That link is pointing at the Times and thus a paywall...

Telegraph - in which Ben appears to downplay the prospect of strike action but I suppose that makes less sensational reading for those in Murdoch's gutter.

A related question - Billy V's knees - done on the fake grass?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2017 13:20 by Rich W.

Jon T (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 13:19

vicky_c (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 14:06
Quote:
Rich W
A related question - Billy V's knees - done on the fake grass?

This one, yes. Saracens were at home.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 15:20
I've read these quotes on a few papers. It reads to me like he says he doesn't want to play more but doesn't want the season reduced either.

Prem rugby need to get the pressure onto World Rugby and the stupid decision to move the internationals into July. That's causing the problems, not them.

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 17:28
PRL are still sticking to their view that players and fans simply cannot see/are too stupid to see, the benefits!.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 19:02
When will the RPA and their equivalents worldwide start to earn their corn? If this isn't an issue they should be all over like a rash then what do they contribute for the oxygen they consume?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

vicky_c (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 20:29
Who says they consume oxygen? I thought that they were on the gin too?

Yorkie (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 07:46
New CEO from RFU jumping on bandwagon this morning in press using this as an opportunity to PRL bash. No concern re world rugby messing with the season structure! All he appears bothered about is the staging of their big 7 games at the cabbage patch, which is what they exist for, and not having players to play these games if they are on strict!

Yorkie (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 07:47
... strike.

Don't know how predictive text managed that?!

Tiggs (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 10:59
Must have been your default S&M settings ?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 06:49
While what Billy V and the boy, Marler says makes perfect sense and they are probably only saying what many others are thinking/too scared to say, but it has to be remembered that they both play for clubs who were part of 11 who steamrollered 2 extra games into the season

Rich W (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 08:25
While I give way to no-one in my loathing for the pay-offs it has to be said that the vast majority of players' seasons end with the end of the league season. The problem is the plethora of extra games - of which the pay-offs only one, and not the most significant, example - that fill out the season for the top players. I suspect, though I don't have any numbers to support this, that most players at Sale or Worcester or Gloucester have a pretty reasonable length of season - they don't feature in the latter stages in Europe as a rule, they don't reach the pay-offs and they generally don't play too many invitationals.

By all means get rid of the pay-offs but that won't do much to help a player who plays 9 invitational games and a quarter-, semi- and final in Europe on top of his league appearances. Add a two/three test summer tour and could still reach 36 games a season - that's an intolerable load.

There might be an argument for stripping out the pay-offs (well there are several and player welfare features) but more than that the number of invitational games has got to come down - and by a significant number. That or players get rotated out of invitational games in the same way as they are rested from club games. Presently a player could play half a league season's worth of invitationals. Disregarding arguments about the absurdity of the highest level of the game being so ubiquitous as to utterly devalue it, it is patently clear that the effect on players of a third of their workload being at the most physically demanding level possible is unsustainable.

I know that there is a financial circle to square here - player salaries need to be financed - but there simply has to be a better way to deal with it than the current solution of more and more high intensity but utterly meaningless games. Billy V has put voluntarily player wage control on the table - it's up to the schemers and plotters at PRL, the Ah F You and World Rugby (aka Narrow World View Rugby) et al to come up with what they propose to give up.

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 12:54
Too much good sense there Rich

Barney_Gumble (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 18:34
Really interesting article here, mainly for the words from Simon Cohen:

[url=https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/sep/29/leicester-exeter-rugby-premiership-clubs-opposite-directions][/url]

"I know you want me to say that commercially we canít afford to shorten the season but I donít believe that because I have some sympathy for the playersí position. Without players, we donít have a game. We have to accommodate their concerns and welfare and we have to make it work financially around that, rather than the other way around. I find it very difficult to see how [a 10-month season] can work."

Edit: Tried 3 times. Given up with the link...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/09/2017 18:36 by Barney_Gumble.

vicky_c (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 18:43

Barney_Gumble (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 18:51
Thanks. It's normally not that tricky...I must be having a bad hair day.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net