rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: ECC : H v Munster Sun 17th December ko 5.30pm live on BT
Game after: AP : H v Saracens Sun 24th December ko 3.00pm live on BT

This week's officials...
Rich W (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 11:43
From t'offy.

Don't know Mr Foley well. He had the AWC Final I think?

Re: This week's officials...
IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 17:05
Gets more right than he gets wrong, I think he did the last game v Wuss last season

PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 17:17
One of the better ones if i remenber correctly, who doesnt think he has to be the star of the show

Tigergeezer (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 19:58
He's OK,I reckon. The present crop of refs generally are better than the Mr Wiggly and Horse's Ass crew.

The lowest depth to which people can sink before God is defined by the word 'journalist'.

Soren Kierkegaard

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 06:58
There was a letter in TRP this week from an Ex. fan berating Ackerman's comments re the refs. Personally I find Ack. no better or no worse than any other coach when they go on their we wus robbed, stuff. Whether the ref was good or bad is always a subjective opinion, providing, of course, that mine is the correct one

Rich W (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 07:53
I watched a bit of the second NZ-Arg Test from 1985 the other night - don't ask - and I was struck by the extraordinary lax, inconsistent and ineffectual performance of the referee. He must have bothered with less than a third of infringements and offences - allowing for the different view to what we would now decry as unacceptable violent conduct that prevailed at the time.

It did rather make me wonder if perhaps, despite our [my] complaints about the current standard of refereeing - of which there are many - the standard has not improved as little as we sometimes think.

That isn't a carte blanche acceptance that referees should not held be accountable nor that there isn't an ongoing need to improve - but a reminder that they could be worse.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 18:12
There is enough money in the game for referees and linepersons to be full time professional. Time between games can be spent reviewing their performances together to encourage mutual improvement and consistency. Refereeing a game is a difficult job that the guys with the whistle and flags need all the help and support we can give them.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Tiggs (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 18:45
Maybe the refs also enjoy their day time jobs, and only want to be part-time ?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

Yorkie (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 19:14
Quote:
Tiggs
Maybe the refs also enjoy their day time jobs, and only want to be part-time ?

Sorry but for the good of the game, they need to go professional. Not a choice for them to reject. If they want to stay part time then ref in the part time game.

Tiggs (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 19:56
But you want the best, if the best want to be part time you are a bit stuck ?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 21:46
Take the current crop. I think Waynetta is seen as about the best of them these days. Now, isnt he a lawyer or such in his day job. You'd have to pay him mighty well to give that sort of thing up- and noting he could maybe ref for say 20 years tops, vs 40+ in law... so why would you give it up... job security, long term prospects, pension, etc etc. Are you going to pay towards 500k a year for a ref? If not, his sort would be daft to swap - as they'd want tje pay to counteract that shorter career, tied to one employer with no alternative etc.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 06:11
By being full time professionals, imvho the refs would improve and leave behind your current best. Use Waynette as a part time trainer if he won't go pro?

Rich W (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 07:00
The comparison with Barnes isn't entirely right though.

Yes he's presently the best of the [highly professionalised but] semi-professional referees but that doesn't mean he'd be better than fully professional refs.

If the RFU were to set aside a small percentage of their slush budget to begin to develop fully professional, full time officials for the professional game (and I think it would be reasonable to levy a charge on the Premiership to support this) then I would anticipate an improvement past the current inconsistent standards (and I include the best of the current bunch in that) such that eventually semi-pros - like Barnes - would no longer be good enough for the top flight. This would then provide the bonus of seeing the best of the semi-pros working in the Championship and uplifting standards there.

They'd still never be good enough for us - but that is a different matter altogether!

Stopsy (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 07:08
I reckon the current lot would have a good head start and then with professional analysis, feedback, training, and support, would develop further particularly in consistency in and between themselves

Rich W (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 07:17
I think you're tight Mike - but if they didn't want to go down that route I am confident that they wouldn't remain the best for long.

But that's ok - and not a criticism.

29 September, 2017 10:16
Well Yorkie, Rich et al .. I agree

.. but there are those who may say, ''Hic! Ah! F.U! Hic!''

This pantomime; just put it .. behind you!

Yorkie (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 10:19
Quote:
Stopsy
I reckon the current lot would have a good head start and then with professional analysis, feedback, training, and support, would develop further particularly in consistency in and between themselves

Yep.

And as a first step, all that is really easy to put in place.

Wendyball has a proper structure for referee development in place. You learn in the lower leagues and build up from there as you get better. By your mid-twenties, if you start young (say at school refereeing your fellow school kids as a starting point), you could be refereeing or running the line in the Prem and the European games.

Rich W (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 10:48
Madness!

Pass the gin would you?

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 12:49
Agree with Yorkie, I have said for some time that they should all be full time, at least then, they would all be singing from the same sheet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net