rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: ERCC : H v Castres Sat 21st October ko 5.30pm Live on SKY
Game after: AP : A v Newcastle Falcons Sun 29th October ko 3.00pm not live on TV

Tomorrow’s A League Cancelled
vicky_c (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 19:12
Due to player welfare concerns according to the text I just received

Re: Tomorrow’s A League Cancelled
Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 19:24
Leicester Tigers have postponed the Premiership Rugby A League fixture against Newcastle Falcons on Sunday due to player welfare concerns.

The Tigers Development XV were due to play Newcastle at Welford Road 24 hours after the first XV took on Exeter Chiefs in the Aviva Premiership.

But after having to withdraw front-row players Logovi’i Mulipola and Ellis Genge before kick-off against Exeter, and a physical game against the Chiefs, Tigers have postponed the ‘A’ League game on player welfare grounds.

Ged Glynn, head of rugby operations, said: “Player welfare is the absolute priority for Leicester Tigers.

“After picking up some knocks in Saturday’s game we are unable to field a team for the ‘A’ League and have postponed the fixture.

“We apologise to anyone who is inconvenienced by this, but we hope they understand the decision.”

Supporters who have bought tickets to the game will receive a full refund from the Welford Road ticket office. The ticket office will open at 1pm to 3pm on Sunday, and reopen as normal on Monday.

Basically a not have enough props and not enough time to bring them in.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 09:48
That doesn't wash for me.

Hills, Kerr, Betts as the starters.

Grahamslaw, Mahoney, Heyes as the bench.

If any of those are injured we could dip further into the academy or get Matt Parr to line out on the bench, or just play with a 22 man squad. Something else going on I reckon as the solutions to the problem is pretty straight forward.

johnthegrif (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 10:30
And if any of those get injured in the game, who remains in the squad for the Premiership next week? Grahamslaw, Mahaoney and Heyes are in my opinion not ready for the top level yet.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 10:39
None of those are in the Premiership match day squad.

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 11:05
Perhaps we have 25 HIAs

Rich W (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 11:20
It's a political decision. Obviously.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 11:36
Does anyone know when Cilliers is ever going to get fit?

He did look useful when he played last year.

vicky_c (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 11:41
I saw him yesterday, there no obvious issues with his walking or anything. Hopefully it’s just a case of him finishing rehab.

Also saw Fitz yesterday. Didn’t see any crutches nearby so I’m hoping that means that he is progressing

01 October, 2017 12:00
Quote:
SK 88
That doesn't wash for me.
Hills, Kerr, Betts as the starters.

Grahamslaw, Mahoney, Heyes as the bench.

If any of those are injured we could dip further into the academy or get Matt Parr to line out on the bench, or just play with a 22 man squad. Something else going on I reckon as the solutions to the problem is pretty straight forward.

Heyes played for lough yesterday.

Not sure putting a retired prop would be better for welfare wise.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 14:57
Why not? He's kept himself pretty fit by the looks of him and its not the highest standard in the world. Better than cancelling the fixture.

So we know Heyes is fit. Betts was part of the warm up so he was fit. Baumann was also obviously fit, though unlike some clubs we've never really used the bench players in the A league. That's three tightheads who could have played.

At loosehead we've only got one injury, Genge, all the other looseheads are fit.

So the club are saying we cannot fulfill a fixture because of only 3 injuries (Genge, Mulipola and Cilliers). I'm sorry but that's pathetic. What happened to the academy? what happened to this link with loughborough?

01 October, 2017 15:25
Heyes started for lough yesterday you can't really ask 18 year old TH to play the next day imo that's really risking welfare.

But he's retired what if he doesn't want to play another game? It's his right to decide.

Baumann and Traynor will not be risked cause they will most likely have to play next week.

Rizzo is banned aswell so put him on the list.

In reality we can't play because Genge, Mulipola, Cilliers and Rizzo are out, Cole, Bateman and Heyes all played yesterday and Traynor and Baumann are most likely being wrapped in cotton wool.

The fact that it was a days notice to find player meant that Lough was out the question.

Not sure how that is pathetic at all,

SK 88 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 15:37
Rizzo was out on loan as our choice.

We can't now start including him as unavailable when it suits.

We knew we had an a game today and chose to send Heyes to Loughborough instead of playing him in our own game. Our choice. Not suggesting him playing twice in two days at all.

Its indicative of the club's attitude. Take the easy route and cancel a fixture rather than fulfill your obligations. All 4 props in the development squad are fit and could have played in this fixture.

johnthegrif (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 11:40
All four props in the development squad may be fit but two of them may be required to play in the Premiership next week, we cannot afford more injury. Yes Rizzo going on loan was our choice, he needed game time and wanted the chance of regaining his place in the Italian team. Dan Cole played the full eighty on Saturday that is not ideal. Cilliers is back in training but has not played so is likely to be rusty. If Mulipola is not fit I would like to see Betts given his chance on the bench, playing Sunday woud have limited our options. Also I understand that Newcastle had some similar concerns.
We have an arrangement with Loughborough, they have a team they would like to see do well so players commit to playing for them. The previous dual registration agreements with Nottingham and Doncaster led to our players not being selected by those clubs as we called them away for A league and Anglo/Welsh fixtures. Now they get to train with us and also get game time when possible.

Tiggs (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 12:52
Turns into a fiasco, with 4 games cancelled already !

Bath were the first to postpone a fixture, rescheduling their match with Harlequins due to the significant number of injuries in their squad.

Harlequins will not only have to find space for that fixture later in the season, but also their clash with Saracens, which was due to go ahead today, but has been postponed by “mutual agreement”.

Leicester Tigers have also postponed their game with Newcastle Falcons this week, with player welfare concerns cited as the reason, whilst Sale Sharks have rearranged today’s game with Worcester Warriors for March 19th.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 13:46
It's a bit embarrassing for us as we were one of the clubs pushing for an expanded 'A' League but, reading John Griffs, post, a man who who never talks anything less than sensible, perhaps there were front row implications.

BG01 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 15:01
This was probably, on balance, the correct decision for the club to make (as much as I would have liked to go to the game).

Realistically we could have just about put out a squad, of course. We could have started Hills/Kerr/Betts with Grahamslaw/Mahoney/Baumann on the bench. But we would need a travelling reserve prop or two (no idea who this would be).

The problem is that we couldn't call up any Students (they all played the day before), we had two unexpected prop injuries 24 hours before the game, and we have a 6 day turnaround before the next 1st XV game.

So while we could technically have put a squad out (assuming no more injuries before the game), we then would have boxed ourselves into a corner for the next game in 6 days - potentially meaning players play too much rugby or inexperienced props have to play against Franks etc. It's just not worth it.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 19:13
Quote:
johnthegrif
All four props in the development squad may be fit but two of them may be required to play in the Premiership next week, we cannot afford more injury. Yes Rizzo going on loan was our choice, he needed game time and wanted the chance of regaining his place in the Italian team. Dan Cole played the full eighty on Saturday that is not ideal. Cilliers is back in training but has not played so is likely to be rusty. If Mulipola is not fit I would like to see Betts given his chance on the bench, playing Sunday woud have limited our options. Also I understand that Newcastle had some similar concerns.
We have an arrangement with Loughborough, they have a team they would like to see do well so players commit to playing for them. The previous dual registration agreements with Nottingham and Doncaster led to our players not being selected by those clubs as we called them away for A league and Anglo/Welsh fixtures. Now they get to train with us and also get game time when possible.

Last week we were happy for Traynor and Baumann to play on Monday and be the emergency cover on Saturday. This week we aren't happy to have Hills and Betts play on Sunday and cover on Saturday?

We've had teenagers play in the A league before, none of them are ready to sit on the bench and play a bit at A level?

What's done is done but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Seems like a classic case of looking for problems not solutions to me.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 10:30
Thing is with all of this, none of us really know the reasons nor the fitness status of all the players being discussed. Everyone is speculating based upon nothing certain.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 10:43
It seems that a bigger picture is emerging here, perhaps talk of a players strike has concentrated minds

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net