Latest News:

Next Game: ECC : H v Munster Sun 17th December ko 5.30pm live on BT
Game after: AP : H v Saracens Sun 24th December ko 3.00pm live on BT

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Brett Deacon
Johns (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 06:54
Recently on this board there has been criticism on this board of our players becoming coaches.

Well step forward Brett, last January Cockers left the club along with what remained of our defence. With Aaron our only remaining senior coach we were in a desperate position.

Brett was brought in to coach our defence with Boris for our scrum.

Both former Tigers players started the turn round, with in a week we could see improvements in scrum and defence. By the end of the season the transformation wsa obvious for all to see
well those of us with two eyes it was.

The start of the season a loss to Bath and Saints was not the start we expected or wanted this time it was clear that our forwards were not performing. After watching Exeter it seemed we were a long way behind with our lie out failing and the back row.

Brett having been sent to look after our new relationship with Loughborough plus working wit our academy the call went out for Brett to help out our forwards. After playing Gloucester at home and Quins away we have two wins and face the champions at home, who thought that we could turnover Exeter? Only one friend suggested that we would win, sorry Keith I should have had more faith.

Well it is early days however I think we may just have found a gold nugget amongst our own when it comes to coaching. Hope that there is a long glittering coaching career for Brett at our club despite others views.

I nominate this weeks MOTM Brett Deacon.

Re: Brett Deacon
Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 07:12
The stats show he turned tigers into one of the best defences in the league when he took over and wasn't sure why he didn't get to keep that defence role along with his development role.

I still would like another outside forwards coach.

The thing i like about Brett and Boris is that they learnt their roles IMO Brett went to the academy and Boris was a player/scrum coach for Dragons, Cov and even towards his later years with us (prob a luxuary only props could really have learning on the job) and imo the player/scrum coach worked out really well cause he played with the new scrums laws and was able to find out how they worked.

IMO the same should have been done with Murphy and Blaze when they first started instead of a senior gig have them work in the academy setup.

Allen doing a good job in the academy currently from what i gather.

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 07:33
Tigers DNA, can't find that outside the club, we have a new coach, we have a winning forwards coach, we don't need any more. Too many cooks and all that.

irishaxeman (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 08:45
Quote:
tigerburnie
Tigers DNA, can't find that outside the club, we have a new coach, we have a winning forwards coach, we don't need any more. Too many cooks and all that.
After yesterday's brilliant game, amen to that brother.

Rich W (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 09:53
But some of that did happen with Geordan.

PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 11:04
Brett has certainly put the spine and dog back in our forwards.

Johns (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 11:35
Geordan may have come from across the Irish sea but must have had a transfusion of Tigers DNA.

vicky_c (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 12:24
Quote:
Rich W
But some of that did happen with Geordan.

Iíve said it before and Iíll say it again, you cannot teach or coach what comes naturally and is probably blindingly obvious to only Geordan.

That said, I do think that he was rushed into coaching in the senior side with undue haste and to the detriment of all concerned. How much of the previous crapness in the backs was down to the forwards being awol weíll see. It may all finally come good, now that the forwards are with the programme.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 15:08
Brett stopped doing defence role as MOC wanted to do it and not have it as a seperate individual role.

It's not an anti-tigers players becoming coaches opinion. It is the lack of outside influence, ideas and experience being added to the Tigers mix which is the concern. That is different.

Like Brett a great deal. But he still has a way to go imvho.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Rich W (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 15:14
Agreed Yorkie - but it's hard to knock what he's done so far.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 15:26
Quote:
Rich W
Agreed Yorkie - but it's hard to knock what he's done so far.

Not knocking his contribution (which, to be fair, none of us know exactly what it's been)as it appears to have had a positive effect. Just not willing to join in the love in quite yet. Give the lad a chance to establish himself before putting him up on that pedestal to be shot at when we have another mare.

Rich W (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 16:29
With you on that. I'm still of the opinion that we should be looking for an experienced forwards coach.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 17:09
Quote:
Rich W
I'm still of the opinion that we should be looking for an experienced forwards coach.

Yep. And the sooner the better. But, as has already been discussed/highlighted, not a great deal of choice and immediate availability for the right guy might be as issue.

Rich W (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 17:11
It is. So Brett it is for the foreseeable.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 17:13
Quote:
Rich W

Yep. And that is no bad thing. But I really hope Brett's success doesn't curtail the search and recruitment of what we really need.

vicky_c (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 17:56
Quote:
Yorkie
Quote:
Rich W

Yep. And that is no bad thing. But I really hope Brett's success doesn't curtail the search and recruitment of what we really need.

But it will, because we seem to have a track record of going stuff on the cheap lately. Under-resourced coaching staff for example?

Tigergeezer (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 19:44
What's Louis doing these days (not suggesting him for the coaching staff necessarily, just curiosity)?

The lowest depth to which people can sink before God is defined by the word 'journalist'.

Soren Kierkegaard

vicky_c (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 20:46
Quote:
Tigergeezer
What's Louis doing these days (not suggesting him for the coaching staff necessarily, just curiosity)?

Heís in the England U20 coaching set up isnít he?

Rich W (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 22:00
Yep - but he's at Tigers midst weeks.

Thing is it's not about Brett's competence - but about whether he can bring a new perspective to help us grow.

It's no surprise to me that our greatest successes in the last 20 years have come after a period of change.

Johns (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 05:52
I started this thread to counter many of the comments about our coaches over the last year.

Scott not good enough,
Aaran not good enough,
Blaze not good enough,
Even complaints about Geordan.

Much criticism of ex players coaching.

John Wells was good for us
Pat Howard was good for us
Stransky was good for us
Allen it is reported is doing a good job in the academy.

Based on team performance/improvement and using the same system others used to claimed individuals were not good enough. I made the following observations.

End of last year beginning of this our defence was very poor, after Cockers left Brett was appointed temperately, after this change very soon our defence improved and so though that Brett had some influence on performance.

Our Scrum was not good and so Boris was appointed scrum coach part time and like our defence the scrum improved dow to Boris perhaps?

More recently our forwards and in particular our line out has faltered and guess what bring in Brett and what happens?

Based on the above I would suggest Boris and Brett have made a positive improvement.

For a long time I have agreed that we need some outside help to develop our team.

The board/senior management may not agree.

Our best HCs DOR have all been one own.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net