rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: ERCC : H v Castres Sat 21st October ko 5.30pm Live on SKY
Game after: AP : A v Newcastle Falcons Sun 29th October ko 3.00pm not live on TV

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Yellow Cards
arh53 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 10:12
Just watched the game on TV (recorded it while I was at the match yesterday). The BT crew were all saying Salvi was unlucky to be given a yellow card. Strange though because I thought you were supposed to stay on your feet at the breakdown and both he and Armand dived in head first with their feet above their shoulders - just how were they planning on staying on their feet? Too my mind both should have been yellow carded.

On the other hand Malouf was very lucky to stay on after taking out a player in the air. He made no attempt to go for the ball and the argument was the player landed on his foot - but although his foot did touch the ground first he was never going to land upright. It was a very poor moment from Malouf and he should have gone to the bin.

And then if Veainu had arms or fingers an inch longer he would have knocked his attempted interception up a bit higher, caught it and maybe gone the length of the pitch for a try. Instead he gets penalised. I have never liked the yellow card for a deliberate knock on law - it is completely misused, if there is an attempt to intercept by knocking the ball upwards to try to catch it how can it be a deliberate knock on?

Re: Yellow Cards
SK 88 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 10:18
Salvi was a clear red card bottled. Shoulder to the head, deliberate, and with no mitigating factors whatsoever.

It doesn't surprise me that the white players get dubious decisions in their favour and the pacific island player doesn't.

Tigergeezer (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 10:35
What Salvi and Armand did gets done by players pretty regularly at present, it seems to me. You see players flying right over the ruck sometimes when they mistime. If refs are going to start calling it, good.

As for Veianu, them's the breaks when the ref has to make a discretion call. It was for me a genuine attempt to intercept, unlike Cole's clumsy deliberate knock on against Glaws which fortunately wasn't in a tryscoring position.

The lowest depth to which people can sink before God is defined by the word 'journalist'.

Soren Kierkegaard

vicky_c (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 10:46
Did the ref even see it? Wasnít it the TMO that called it?

Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 10:48
Completely agree with most of the above. Salvi should have seen red. Malouf yellow and Vaienu pen only.

Rich W (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 11:02
Quote:
SK 88
Salvi was a clear red card bottled. Shoulder to the head, deliberate, and with no mitigating factors whatsoever.
It doesn't surprise me that the white players get dubious decisions in their favour and the pacific island player doesn't.

This - all day.

arh53 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 11:30
Quote:
vicky_c
Did the ref even see it? Wasnít it the TMO that called it?

The ref was 2 yards away with a clear view. If he didn't see it he needs to go to Specsavers - oh hang a minute there were also the 3 blatant forward passes he didn't see when he was a yard or two away too, so maybe he does.

But yes it was the TMO who brought it up, probably due to the reaction from the crowd.

vicky_c (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 11:30
I know that theyíve got to bring on new refs but yesterday really should have been given to Wayne Barnes.

Iíll go and wash my mouth out with soap now

higgy365 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 12:56
Any view on Maloufs trip? Didn't come off but clear intent.

arh53 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 13:15
Probably yellow. Apart from taking his try well he had a pretty poor game with a lot of errors.

vicky_c (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 13:25
Quote:
arh53
Probably yellow. Apart from taking his try well he had a pretty poor game with a lot of errors.

Heís a lot to learn. It will come, but itís a season long project at least.

Rich W (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 13:48
I must haze watched a different player. The trip was clearly not intentional imo. He got stepped and he was so off balance there was clearly no control.

jojo (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 14:23
There was also leading with the head by Slade on Harry which caused him to go off for the HIA. Blatant yellow IMO not seen by the ref.

Mrs JJ

SK 88 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 14:58
He also didn't actually trip him did he?

You don't win a noble prize for attempted chemistry!

arh53 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 15:21
But you might get a yellow card for attempting to punch someone but miss. It comes down to intent. It was probably more borderline than the other bad desisions though.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 15:39
Well you don't really get a card for throwing an air punch do you? When was the last time you saw that?

Rich W (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 15:43
Effect is always now adjudged more important then intent.

Hammer (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 16:13
I thought Slade's clearout on Wells looked bad at the game. Having seen it on the recording, it was a shocking piece of play, not seen by Foley, needless to say, and not commented on by the BT crew who spent most of the game telling how good Exeter were.

If the citing process is worth anything, Slade should be cited for that clearout. He probably won't be though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 16:15 by Hammer.

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 14:13
Not sure it was all Foley's fault, didn't seem to be getting any help from TMO.

vicky_c (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 15:33
Itís his job to see whatís in front of him. If he needs the TMO to be telling him what to do all the time then heís on the wrong job.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net