Latest News:

Next Game: ECC : H v Munster Sun 17th December ko 5.30pm live on BT
Game after: AP : H v Saracens Sun 24th December ko 3.00pm live on BT

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Will Evans
Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 10:23
Thought he had a good game yesterday his stats are impressive.

24 Tackles 1 Missed
9 Runs
49 Metres
2 Defenders beaten
2 Clean breaks
1 Try

Not bad considering his lack of prem game time recently.

Hopefully we will get to see more of him, him and BOC are very similar so would be good to see them being focused on 7 more now they are showing signs of fitness.

Re: Will Evans
KevinR (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 10:27
I thought he had a terrific game and should have had a few more turnovers if JP had been as quick to penalise the Irish holding on as he was Tigers. The back row looked to have an excellent balance until Kalamafoni was forced off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2017 10:27 by KevinR.

08 October, 2017 10:44
He butchered one try by failing to take the pass iirc, but that may have been a poor pass .. the try was a walk in to be fair, too.

My impression was not quite so favourable, but that means nothing

This pantomime; just put it .. behind you!

08 October, 2017 11:07
Might have been a walk in but he spotted the gap and the mismatch you could see him make the call for the ball.

Rich W (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 13:53
Quote:
odd-shaped vagaries
He butchered one try by failing to take the pass iirc, but that may have been a poor pass .. the try was a walk in to be fair, too.
My impression was not quite so favourable, but that means nothing

Mine also.

KevinR (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 14:57
Id forgotten the drop - a great shame - but it wasn't just the number of tackles, it was the technique too, chopping his man down.

Parcdeprince (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 10:57
Thought he went pretty well considering how long he has had out. Will take a run of games to get totally up to form. Will he get them though?? Think O'Connor will start ahead of him next week....

KevinR (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 15:05
More tackles than any other player last weekend:
Tigers

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 17:52
I can see him being a mainstay of the team in years to come as his experience builds, along with Genge being the capt.

Tom Paine (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 20:51
You'd expect a 7 to make a lot of tackles. Unfortunately each one now puts him out of the game until the next phase. His technique is good - hits low and hard with head in correct position - so he may not pick up too many concussions. He has pace and gets in a good supporting positions, but not sure about his handling. He really ought to have caught that pass. Sadly the way the game is going he may have been born ten years too late. Hope I'm wrong about this and look forward to Stopsy & co telling me.

IanC (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 05:30
You may well be right Tom, although, who knows, the next set of random law changes from IRB might bring him back!

Rich W (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 07:03
There is certainly that Ian and we live in constant hope that at some point - by the simple laws of random chance they will stagger, blindly, across a suite of laws which is good for the game as a whole. But to my considerable regret I find myself increasingly in agreement with Tom that the desire to denature the game has taken deep root at the farcically named 'World Rugby'.

I have to say, making overmuch of young Will's handling on the basis of one drop is a tad strong. I am not aware of this being a regular feature of his play.

11 October, 2017 07:23
Brendan O'Connors impact v Exeter to me showed there is still a place for the traditional style 7.

Agree with Rich about Will handling.

Rich W (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 07:42
Maybe - but I felt that by then our heavier loosies and locks had started to neutralise their ability to torpedo over and past the tackle. Actually when that started to happen two things happened: the crowd became less vociferous about the ineptitude of the referee in controlling their cheating at the breakdown; and I realised that we were going to win. Once you stop Ex doing that they don't get on a roll and they can't play keep ball - and then they struggle because thy aren't essentially very creative - they just wear you down. At the same time it allows you to challenge them on your feet because they aren't 10 feet past the ruck stopping you from getting there - and then you can control the tempo and move them around.

It started when Toomua won his big collision late in the first half and gave his forwards a target to drive them off the ball. It was as if someone had switched on a light - but it was exactly because BOC wasn't playing that we were able to do that imo. Brendan (or Will) would have tried - and failed - to attack the ball where Mike and Luke and Harry didn't bother. They just battered the breakdown.

Ugly - but, currently, effective.

11 October, 2017 12:14
But that is surely a case of balance then.

You don't need an entire pack to be boshers if your 1,2,3,4,5,6,8 are all attacking the breakdown then that would allow for a traditional 7 still.

NZ still have the likes of Cane and Todd in their squad, Francois Louw is still one of the best 7's in the prem despite being 32.

Rich W (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 12:42
Perhaps - but I think in current interpretations that can only happen as a consequence of boshing the break-down (which, I admit, sounds like a euphemism) first. I certainly think there's an argument that they're not going to start many games in future - certainly not against teams like Ex and Sarries - though as the boshers neutralise each other and the game breaks up they may be effective in the final quarter.

I'd like to be wrong and we're not there yet but it looks like it's heading that way to me.

Tom Paine (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 14:12
I hate to see uncontested breakdowns (why not just let the tackled player stand up and play the ball back with his foot?), but the way Ex and Sarries dive over the top or hit in from the side, I fear for the safety of anyone trying to bend over the tackled player for the ball, even if they get there first. Telusa was lucky that Salvi didn't fracture his cheekbone. As Rich says, things loosen up in the final 20 mins and the counter ruck can be effective if there aren't too many bodies on the floor. Glad to see refs being a bit stricter about 'holding on' this week.
Not condemning Will for the drop, just like more evidence of his handling skills. I'm sure many of you have seen him play a lot more than I have.

Rich W (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 14:21
Agreed Tom - and it's why I'm really doubtful that Harry can consistently play 7 at the top level.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 16:05
Harry's big plus in a squad limited in size by available cash is the ability to sit on the bench and cover both 2 and 7 equally well and contribute positively in the last 20 minutes of a game.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 17:02
A few more incidents like the Salvi one and the backlash against the illegal attacking rucking (that we also do, and did a lot in the first half against Irish) will begin.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net