rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: ECC : H v Munster Sun 17th December ko 5.30pm live on BT
Game after: AP : H v Saracens Sun 24th December ko 3.00pm live on BT

O/T Johnny Hallyday
Rich W (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 13:48
Adieu a vous...

So growing up in the 70’s in a Fancophile Household with a number of French friends I was familiar with Johnny Hallyday - but he just didn’t really interest me. TBH – he was probably a bit before my time and besides – I was an annoying little schist who just lumped him in with ‘things French and therefore to be avoided because that’s what the olds are into’...

However about 5 years ago on holiday (no pun intended) in the South of France, on our return from dinner out, we walked past a bar (outside which were a small phalanx of Harley Davidsons) from which we could hear emerging this massive voice.

The whole front of the bar was wide open.

‘Oh – it’s Johnny Hallyday,’ says I, identifying a nearby poster. ‘Who?’ says herself – quite reasonably to be fair. ‘Oh just some old French popster – don’t think he was much cop to be honest,’ opines your truly. ‘But, you know, I have to admit – sounds rather better than I remember.’

So the estimable lady mem and I stand in the street outside this really quite tiny bar with a healthy crowd of les Francais – perhaps 30 or 40 strong - with a similar number inside – and watch him bang out his set. And when I say bang - I mean bang. At what I now realise must have been 70 the bloke could still sing (and there is something raw and beautiful about French when sung) and while he didn’t put himself about like he once, apparently, you could definitely see that he had ‘it’.

Turns out he pretty much played there every other year - turning up on his Harley, smoking a few Gauloises and supping a few Pastis (I may be guilty of stereotyping a tad) and playing a gig before riding off into the sunset.

It was genuinely one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

You know – the moral of the story - that annoying little schist was a twit.

I’m saddened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2017 13:50 by Rich W.

Re: O/T Johnny Hallyday
09 December, 2017 09:21
Then it was a Jolly Holiday?

It's probably fair to say all young lads are a annoying little schists at some point, but most of you grew out of it

This pantomime; just put it .. behind you!

Stopsy (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 09:59
RIP but his work does nothing for me

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 12:43
He covered a lot of other peoples 'hits', did it rather well I thought, a bit like Jim Dale did here in the 1950s

Rich W (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 12:49
Most of his covers, he translated into French rather than covering them in English but he certainly had plenty of original material.

As I said he was never exactly my thing either but I definitely warned to him and I was impressed by his ability to perform even towards the end of his life.

Tom Paine (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 15:36
French pop? Pouffe! But French films, fantastique! Loved Hallyday in 'Le home du train'.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net