Next Game: GPR Away v Gloucester Rugby Fri. Nov. 16th ko 7.45pm live on BT
Game After: GPR Home v Saracens Sun. Nov. 25th ko 3.00pm live on BT

Celery cap breach
daktari (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:28

Re: Celery cap breach
Tigersfan1 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:30
They didnít do it on purpose - well thatís all right then. Fine them the equivalent of a few days interest on their borrowings.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:47
Wasps pockets can't be as deep as previous offenders as no expensive legal action threatened!

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Rich W (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:47
I hope Simon Cohen is taking note. Can we accidentally forget the £1m we're going to pay Kieran Read?

Raggs (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:54
It'll cost you at least £3.5m Rich! And that's with just the agreed upon tax on the cap agreement. Since it's well over the allowed overrun of 5% off the basic cap it'll cone with other punishments too i guess...

daktari (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:57
Quote:
Raggs
It'll cost you at least £3.5m Rich! And that's with just the agreed upon tax on the cap agreement. Since it's well over the allowed overrun of 5% off the basic cap it'll cone with other punishments too i guess...
Unless we just employ extra lawyers

Raggs (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:59
Quote:
daktari
Quote:
Raggs

True. Then it's just a mistake and you aren't named and make a donation but definitely not a fine!

Yorkie (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 15:12
Quote:
Raggs
Quote:
daktari
Quote:
Raggs

True. Then it's just a mistake and you aren't named and make a donation but definitely not a fine!

And only a very small donation at that!

SK 88 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 20:22
I don't really get the fuss. The cap changed years ago to have an over run tax rather than a hard top. This is all in the published rules. They didn't get away with anything.

Raggs (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 20:31
It needs it now that clubs cannot be sure of their allowance in a season due to international allowances, which is part of why we went over. Expected more international players to take part but they didn't due to injuries.

Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 09:26
Bit of devil in the detail on this one

"The payments we make to player agents sit within the salary cap and many of our players are bound into the same agency," said the spokesperson.

"This agency was based offshore but last season they moved to the UK which means payments we make to them suddenly had VAT added to them, so they went up by 20 per cent. This would've accounted for some of the overrun."

So, logically, that means the year before and previously they took advantage of an off-shore agent avoiding VAT, to compete at the top of the salary cap means avoiding tax, possibly not a problem for our owners to be fair..

Raggs (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 10:25
We don't choose our players agents.

Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 10:40
Don't be so defensive. I don't think this issue is a Wasps issue.

I do think it's a loophole in the salary cap that should be looked at, 5.6 Million in salary cap, say agents are on 10% (i've no idea if this is true), could be over 100k extra that a foreign based agents could receive within the salary cap as opposed to UK VAT registered agents. Is that what we want as a game? Is that the intention of the rules? Close the loophole in my opinion, if a player \ club chooses a non-VAT registered agent then impose a 20% surcharge payable to a) grass roots or b) anti-doping. Would be easier for clubs to avoid making the same mistake as Wasps as they know a change in agent's status won't cost them as they have to budget for the 20% either way.

Raggs (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 11:30
I'm more confused as to why wasps are paying they players agents. Isn't that what the players are supposed to be doing?

Yorkie (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 11:58
Quote:
Raggs
I'm more confused as to why wasps are paying they players agents. Isn't that what the players are supposed to be doing?

I thought that too. Clever agent writes it into contracts that clubs pay them? As well as players?

SK 88 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:12
Quote:
Yorkie
Quote:
Raggs

I thought that too. Clever agent writes it into contracts that clubs pay them? As well as players?

Its pretty standard practice that the clubs pay the agents after contract renewals etc.

Both football but two links here: telegrpah link BBC link

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 14:54
They might be fined, in secret, of course

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net