rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: AP Home v Worcester Warriors Sunday September 23rd ko 3.00pm not live on TV
Game After: AP Home v Sale Sharks Sunday September 30th ko 3.00pm live on BT

Tigers after Oz Prop ?
Tiggs (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 12:02
Leicester Tigers are reported to be looking at signing an Australian international prop ahead of next season.

The Rugby Paper is reporting NSW Waratahs prop Paddy Ryan could be on his way to Welford Road when his Super Rugby contract expires at the end of the current season.

Ryan has three caps for the Wallabies, earned between 2012 and 2014.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

Re: Tigers after Oz Prop ?
SK 88 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 13:13
Don't see the point, or rather not what I'd like to see.

I struggle to believe that either Cilliers or Mulipola will be looking for much more cash than they are on now. Cilliers came as Montpellier's 4th choice and was signed very much as 3rd string for us, Mulipola's last contract came when he was top of his game and has spent three of the last four years injured. We might be looking to reduce our spend in that area but until Cole is pushed out of England we really do need 3 decent tightheads.

If both are going we need a better player than this, and if only one is going then it seems a bit of a luxury for a third choice. Aus props do not tend to translate well in the Prem and NSWs scrum has not looked too hot when I saw them against the Stormers.

As a 3rd choice I'd rather try someone from Champ like Ben Cooper from Bedford, who looked really good against Bristol a few months ago. Or go to our favorite academy and get someone like Alo from Worcester.

As a second choice I think we need someone who is proven on stodgy grounds in European winters. i.e. might as well keep the guys we've already got! But as an alternative Arhip from Ospreys has good reviews from them. Again from Worcester you've got Schonert, Damien Tussac from Castres has had to retire from French rugby but Saracens picked up Juan Figallo in the same circumstances so I wouldn't rule it out.

Basically I struggle to see this guy as good value in any role/price bracket we have going.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 13:13
Tight or loose ?

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 13:22
Most of those props mentioned are in contract aren’t they?

Looking at his games played he plays both LH and TH he might be Rizzo’s replacement potentially. Or maybe Traynor and Baumann replacement?

Rich W (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 13:37
He'd certainly offer value if only in utility terms if he were a replacement for both.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 13:40
Mainly a tighthead as far as I could tell from statbunker and itsrugby? Certainly that is where he played recently, though main explain the shitness.

I thought Mulipola was out of contract? This rumour in the rugby paper was directly after saying he might be off. Cilliers has done two years, I don't know if he is in or out of contract but you'd assume out of contract?

At loosehead we have:

Genge
Bateman
Rizzo
Facunda
Traynor
Hills

I'm not sure on Rizzo or Traynor's status. Hills is no longer particularly young, if he's to be trusted to play games its next season or never really. Given Rizzo's age another 1 year deal and see if Hills or Facunda can oust him might be a good move.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 16:25
Do Oz create good props who can scrummage?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Rich W (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 16:46
Not as a rule!

Yorkie (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 17:51
That's what I thought. So is that why we are likely to be recruiting an Oz prop?

(Sm159)

14 March, 2018 18:44
Quote:
SK 88
Mainly a tighthead as far as I could tell from statbunker and itsrugby? Certainly that is where he played recently, though main explain the shitness.
I thought Mulipola was out of contract? This rumour in the rugby paper was directly after saying he might be off. Cilliers has done two years, I don't know if he is in or out of contract but you'd assume out of contract?

At loosehead we have:

Genge
Bateman
Rizzo
Facunda
Traynor
Hills

I'm not sure on Rizzo or Traynor's status. Hills is no longer particularly young, if he's to be trusted to play games its next season or never really. Given Rizzo's age another 1 year deal and see if Hills or Facunda can oust him might be a good move.

Cilliers i think was a 3 year contract, he was signed originally as the 3nd choice TH from what i gather.

Mulipola, Rizzo, Traynor, Hills, Baumann are all out of contract from what I gather.
Not sure at 36 next season if Rizzo will even be playing pro rugby next season or could see him maybe returning to italy for a season.

Ryan since 2016 has played alot more at LH than TH both starting and off the bench.
From what I gather he is only playing TH currently due to injury to Kepu.
He smacks of depth signing to me so would make no sense being a mulipola replacement (IF he is off) but makes alot of sense if he was replacing say Rizzo.

Interesting he has played with TPN for around 5 seasons and in his 3 international caps he played with TPN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2018 18:46 by Ayerza wannabe.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 18:57
Yes as a 3rd choice loosehead it looks more like the sort of player we would want but still seems a bit flair to me, especially with Facunda just signed as an option too.

Rizzo is old but he's playing okay when he gets on. White played till he was about 38 or so. I wouldn't offer him a 3 year deal but I reckon he's got another year in him at least!

Where Genge fits in England's reckoning will make a bit impact on our 3rd choice's game time. If he becomes a feature like Cole is then we need a big player, if he just comes in once or twice a season he might barely feature.

14 March, 2018 19:27
But it might be Rizzo decision to retire or move to say back home to Italy, White had his farming to keep him occupied when he wasn't playing and made him cheaper option. I also don't think MOC rates him really.

Having 4 props in Bateman, Logo, Cilliers and Ryan would give us some serious versatility and flexability in the prop department.
Genge, Bateman, Ryan, Gigena, Grahamslaw
Cole, Mulipola, Cilliers, Heyes
I would be very happy with that next season.

Not sure Hills will make it currently I'm pretty certain Gigena has been signed as a 4th choice project player.
With the a league looking to be expanded to a full season we will need the prop depht.

That being said i will be really really @#$%& if this is meant to be Mulipola replacement. (Mind this hasn't even been confirmed).

Tiggs (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 21:28
Oz have been scrimmaging much better in the last 12 months.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

Rich W (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 21:39
Quote:
Ryan has three caps for the Wallabies, earned between 2012 and 2014.

Tiggs (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 22:31
And was not as good then as he is now at scrimmaging and was only 1 of 8 in the pack. And the pack were exciting in the loose. And he isn't signed.

Rich W (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 22:42
All possible perhaps but you said they've scrummaged better over the last 18 months. He has not been involved in that timescale.

15 March, 2018 08:35
AW: ''Interesting he has played with TPN for around 5 seasons and in his 3 international caps he played with TPN.''

I suspect this explains either the rumour or it's substance; the fit will reveal itself but the people doing the jigsaw have the full picture on their puzzle box

''It [the NHS] will last as long as there are folk left with the faith to fight for it'' Aneurin Bevan

Are you faithfull?

Yorkie (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 12:27
Quote:
odd-shaped vagaries

... the fit will reveal itself but the people doing the jigsaw have the full picture on their puzzle box

In the recent past, I fear that the picture on the box hasn't matched the scene when the pieces are put together, a bit like these jigsaws so loved by my mother!

(Sm14)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net