rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: AP : H v Newcastle Falcons Fri 27th April ko 7.45pm live on BT
Game after: AP : A v Sale Sharks Sat 5th May ko 4.00pm not yet live on TV

It may not be 'news', but
21 March, 2018 12:11
Scotland are deffo eyeing Plumpyship involvement

[www.bbc.co.uk]

This pantomime; just put it .. behind you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/03/2018 12:18 by odd-shaped vagaries.

Re: It may be 'news', but
Rich W (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 12:16
How would this be permitted? And frankly what on earth would be the benefit to the Premiership?

Re: It may be 'news', but
PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 12:19
Another franchise.

Use English money to develop Scottish players

Treat it as a development side, for the good of Jockish national team - to the disbenefit of the league. A slippery slope to treating the league and thetefore fans with the same distain as the celts do the rabid dog 10 / 12 / 13 / 14

Re: It may not be 'news', but
Tiggs (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 12:21
If they did, then they would get relegated within 2 seasons.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

21 March, 2018 12:22
It smacks a bit of the old 'London Welsh question' whereby the WRU could purportedly have benefitted from Plumpyship funding, but I don't know if that ever came to anything

Got to agree with regard to the 'no benefit to us' point

When I first saw it I wondered if Glasgow and Edinburgh were going to extend the division to 14

This pantomime; just put it .. behind you!

SK 88 (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 13:47
It will either barely be worth doing, won't happen at all, or end in disaster.

If they take a stake as small as 10% in Newcastle all I can see happening is young players from the borders, who Newcastle recruit anyway, going to Newcastle a bit more and not being as likely to be poached by England.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 13:48
If a Prem club becomes a home for too many third choice development Sweaties, wouldn't they be in danger of failing to meet their EQP requirements to get their PRL cash which has got to be more than the SRU likely to throw into the pot?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Rich W (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 14:25
Why would PRL in association with the Ah F You even contemplate sharing even 10% of their central funding with the the SRU?

The whole thing is frankly as crazy and ill-thought an idea as we've had - and Rugby Union in England has had some doozies.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 14:52
Actually, there is nothing to stop the SRU or anyone else buying a share in any PRL club if it is available/for sale. It depends upon how big a % they buy and how much control this then gives them?

Does any PRL club make enough to pay their shareholders a dividend? I don't think so which means the SRU would get no financial return on their cash investment. In fact, you could view it as the SRU helping to develop the development of the English game?

So the only advantage to the SRU is player placement/development. And to allow them to do this to any great effect, imvho they would need to own 100% of a club or at least well over 50%. And not sure any current PRL club "owners" have a significant effect on a matchday 23 above perhaps influencing the squad that is available to be selected from? What top coach would stand for being told who to select (or have in their squad) by an owner?

So the SRU buy a controlling interest in a club and install a pet Scottish coach. To get PRL (RFU) cash, they still have to fulfil the EQP quota to get it so again their club will be helping develop English players. And when the rest of the PRL clubs gang up on them with some more new competition "rules", I'm sure they'd come to regret their purchase!

I don't agree with the SRU buying into a Prem club and just can't see why they'd want to do it. Are they that stupid?

SK 88 (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 15:20
Indeed Yorkie. That is where the 10% stake in Newcastle comes from. The RFU only have right of refusal on stakes bigger than this.

I have never seen a Prem club recommend a dividend in their annual accounts.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 15:46
" What top coach would stand for being told who to select (or have in their squad) by an owner? "

Ahem, Bath?

Stopsy (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 15:49
No different to the South African ownership at Saracens in reality, it had a marked impact on the squad at one stage, not so evident now.

Rich W (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 16:29
But is wasn't SARFU buying into Sarries was it.

Surely Yorkie the point isn't about dividends or a return on investment but that the PRL/RFU agreement funds the clubs - to a significant extent - if the SRU were to buy a stake in a PRL club they would be able to influence the number of Scottish players at that club and effectively have the English game pay them.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 20:57
Probably not about dividends Rich but, as I said, will any minority investment really have that much influence at a PRL club? Will there really be more Scottish players involved in the Prem? And you could equally say that the SRU are helping to prop up a Prem club and so assisting in the development of English players?

Again, don't agree with it but can't see it happen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net