Latest News:

Next Game: HCC Home v Scarlets Fri. Oct. 19th ko 7.45pm live on BT
Game After: PRC Away v Saracens Sat. Oct. 27th ko 3.00pm live on BT

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Winger for 2018/19
Tiggs (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 12:11
Former England Under-20s wing Sam Aspland-Robinson has agreed to join Leicester Tigers for the 2018/19 season.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

Re: New Winger for 2018/19
Elder (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 12:28
Not a dig at the new signing personally, but it is beyond me why we seem incapable of finding centre cover but manage to collect wingers with aplomb.

Tiggs (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 12:41
Difficult to sign centres that know they will rarely play ?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 12:46
Quote:
Elder
Not a dig at the new signing personally, but it is beyond me why we seem incapable of finding centre cover but manage to collect wingers with aplomb.

sounds like we will be losing at least 2 wingers for next season.

000mjg (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 13:29
Wouldn't want to lose any of our present wingers. Is this a Brady replacement?

000mjg (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 13:30
... agree about the centers though

Elder (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 13:36
Quote:
Tiggs
a) other sides manage it, and
b) rarely play?? I should think understudy to Manu is the busiest man in the squad.
In all seriousness I would have thought someone around Saxons level or equivalent who can play 12/13 would see it as a great opportunity- Manu perpetually injured, Owen too, Tait & Smith at the tail end of their careers, Tamooa moved to 10 when George is with England, no real sign of anyone from the Academy bursting on to the scene. Anyone who did come in would have loads of chances to show what they can do. Still, I must be missing something ‘cos we haven’t had decent back up cover in that position for years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2018 13:37 by Elder.

Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 13:41
Quote:
Elder
no real sign of anyone from the Academy bursting on to the scene.
Thacker, Olowofela and Worth?

Elder (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 13:58
Bursting?? Maybe Olow, but he’s a winger(!!)/full-back isn’t he?

Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 14:25
He's listed on the Tigers site as a centre, though England have had him playing on the wing. Thacker has looked good in limited action too, maybe not the second coming of Will Greenwood but certainly worth more game time.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 14:30
Apsland Robinson is winger/centre/full back according to Quinn’s site

Elder (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 14:49
Interesting- let’s hope we can turn him into a centre/winger

Yorkie (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 15:32
Quote:
Tiggs

Very true but,

Quote:
Elder
a) other sides manage it, and
b) rarely play?? I should think understudy to Manu is the busiest man in the squad.
In all seriousness I would have thought someone around Saxons level or equivalent who can play 12/13 would see it as a great opportunity- Manu perpetually injured, Owen too, Tait & Smith at the tail end of their careers, Tamooa moved to 10 when George is with England, no real sign of anyone from the Academy bursting on to the scene. Anyone who did come in would have loads of chances to show what they can do. Still, I must be missing something ‘cos we haven’t had decent back up cover in that position for years.

Can't disagree with that.

I liked the look of Owen when he was playing but now he is injured it does expose our lack of decent cover. Yes, Tait and Smith can cover but neither are world class or near.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Elder (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 15:37
World Class a bit too much to expect IMO, but ‘Premiership Winning Class’ should be realistic.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 15:51
Greetings from a Quin

Myself, not too sure about SAR. Very quick, I cant really see him as a centre myself, not sure he is physical enough but he may surprise. We have quite a few good wingers atm so no a massive surprise he has left.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 15:56
Quote:
Elder
World Class a bit too much to expect IMO, but ‘Premiership Winning Class’ should be realistic.

Fair enough, wrong choice of words, but you get my drift.

You should have at least 4 first choice quality Centres at Tigers imvho where we will lose one to the Invitational circus for several weeks each season.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Dreadnought (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 16:13
Quote:
000mjg
Wouldn't want to lose any of our present wingers. Is this a Brady replacement?
Perhaps even a Malouf and Thompstone replacement (Sm81)

Rich W (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 17:06
DO we know we won't sign a centre?

Owen was clearly supposed to be cover for our centre resources - and though I was disappointed at the time I've been impressed with him. But the problem is, surely, that anyone coming in has to get past him as well as Manu and Matt. Now, while there is a history of injuries and now of Matt playing at 10 any player coming in has to take a risk that he ends up barely featuring if the injury problems end or George finds himself out of favour with Eddie.

There are a lot of variables that a decent - ambitious - player would have to consider - and which probably = a higher price tag.

By the way - this - regardless of Sam Aspland-Robinson's potential - just feels like more pointless squad churn if he's to replace Malouf.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 17:24
Decent acquisition, as mentioned when rumoured his only season of men's rugby didn't have a great scoring record in the third tier. Will have to see how it goes, worth a punt though.

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 17:49
Quote:
Rich W

By the way - this - regardless of Sam Aspland-Robinson's potential - just feels like more pointless squad churn if he's to replace Malouf.

If Malouf wants to leave then it isn't pointless though surely?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net