rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: ECC Home v Racing 92 Sun. Dec. 16th ko 1.00m live on BT
Game After: GPR Home v Harlequins Sat. Dec. 22nd ko 3.00m not live on TV


Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Well done Leinster
Stopsy (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 19:39
Got over the line in the end metaphorically, thanks to Teddy Thomas ruining a lineout steal.
Radio 5 seemed to think this is all due to Stuart Lancaster. Obviously he has played a part but one would think it was all his doing.

 
Re: Well done Leinster
Yorkie (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 19:53
What a great game of rugby to watch as a neutral. The newbies and tv broadcasters won't have liked it as there weren't any tries and it wasn't high scoring. A great big game of chess!

Feel sorry for Racing but they did rush it all at the end. More patience and a few more phases, who knows .....

Wanted a club to win the pot rather than an IRFU franchise.



http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg




Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 19:56 by Yorkie.

 
Re: Well done Leinster
Stopsy (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 20:02
Me too, however even though I wasnít watching too attentively I didnít see Healy commit any acts of outright thuggery, a first!

 
Re: Well done Leinster
Jon T (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 20:36
Racing have nobody to blame but themselves, they only played in fits and starts, defensively excellent but you will never convince me that a box kick inside the oppositions half is a game winner, no risk rugby and living on the oppositions errors just doesn't deserve to win the title. Kicking the ball out at ht when you regain possesion on the halfway line sums it up for me.

 
Re: Well done Leinster
Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 08:03
Quote:
Jon T
Racing have nobody to blame but themselves, they only played in fits and starts, defensively excellent but you will never convince me that a box kick inside the oppositions half is a game winner, no risk rugby and living on the oppositions errors just doesn't deserve to win the title. Kicking the ball out at ht when you regain possesion on the halfway line sums it up for me.


Trouble with being down to 4th choice 10 though.

 
Re: Well done Leinster
Jon T (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 08:26
It was the scrum half...

 
Re: Well done Leinster
GT1 (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 08:33
The match was decided a couple of weeks ago when Maxime Machenaud got his injury!!
Carters withdrawal just before kick off obviously didn't help either as he had quite a impact in the semi!

 
Re: Well done Leinster
IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 12:56
Didn't watch it, in the same why I won't be watching the Cup Final or the royal wedding

 
Re: Well done Leinster
Jon T (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 14:40
I won't be watching Coronation St tonight winking smiley

 
Re: Well done Leinster
tigerburnie (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 15:32
I rarely watch tv of any sort these days.

 
Re: Well done Leinster
14 May, 2018 18:39
Quote:
GT1
The match was decided a couple of weeks ago when Maxime Machenaud got his injury!!
Carters withdrawal just before kick off obviously didn't help either as he had quite a impact in the semi!

.. nor the injury to the starting 10 on 6 minutes

.. sad that Rassing didn't duff 'em up, they seemed to have Leinster's measure despite being at a disadvantage



The referee is the final arbitrary

 
Re: Well done Leinster
Old S_P (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:09
Quote:
Yorkie
What a great game of rugby to watch as a neutral. The newbies and tv broadcasters won't have liked it as there weren't any tries and it wasn't high scoring. A great big game of chess!
Feel sorry for Racing but they did rush it all at the end. More patience and a few more phases, who knows .....

Wanted a club to win the pot rather than an IRFU franchise.

You say in a condescending way a Franchise, but the provinces are every bit as much clubs as Leicester are, and apart from my Province Connacht have been in existence for longer then Tigers ( Only since 1885...). Me I've been going to Connacht games for probably over 45 years, and maybe even more that I was too young to recollect, and living in Dublin for eight years and UK for near 30 hasn't diminished my passion for my team (and I woudn't be unique either by any stretch)...

Regions has always been of significant importance to Irish people across all sports, and if you make a direct comparison to Tigers they both suck in players from surrounding areas and are the teams that players in the region aspire to play for. And having been to games at Welford it's from the variety of jerseys seen there that Tigers draw support from smaller clubs in their catchment area too..


Pretty sure you wouldn't be making disparaging comments if the Irish system wasn't working. Maybe Tigers need to sort their own house out instead..(Sm111)

 
Re: Well done Leinster
melton tiger (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 23:41
Quote:
Old S_P
Quote:
Yorkie
What a great game of rugby to watch as a neutral. The newbies and tv broadcasters won't have liked it as there weren't any tries and it wasn't high scoring. A great big game of chess!
Feel sorry for Racing but they did rush it all at the end. More patience and a few more phases, who knows .....

Wanted a club to win the pot rather than an IRFU franchise.

You say in a condescending way a Franchise, but the provinces are every bit as much clubs as Leicester are, and apart from my Province Connacht have been in existence for longer then Tigers ( Only since 1885...). Me I've been going to Connacht games for probably over 45 years, and maybe even more that I was too young to recollect, and living in Dublin for eight years and UK for near 30 hasn't diminished my passion for my team (and I woudn't be unique either by any stretch)...

Regions has always been of significant importance to Irish people across all sports, and if you make a direct comparison to Tigers they both suck in players from surrounding areas and are the teams that players in the region aspire to play for. And having been to games at Welford it's from the variety of jerseys seen there that Tigers draw support from smaller clubs in their catchment area too..


Pretty sure you wouldn't be making disparaging comments if the Irish system wasn't working. Maybe Tigers need to sort their own house out instead..(Sm111)

I'm sure Yorkie is aware of the long history of the Irish provincial sport - I think his reference to the "IRFU Franchise" is allusion to the (historic?) somewhat unlevel provincial playing field - with Leinster being the favoured province because of their greater earning potential for the IRFU (through use of the Aviva). Do Connacht currently get the same IRFU player budget as Leinster these days?

Not that we can really throw stones from this side of the water nowadays. The disgraceful cover-up of the salary cap transgressions and the fact that the salary cap is no longer really that with the 2 marquee players outside it, means that certain "clubs" are just rich-kid boys toys. Thankfully not Tigers - still member owned, still the closest you can get to a fan-owned German football club in rugby union (the best ownership model in professional sport IMHO)...

 
Re: Well done Leinster
RuggyBuggy (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 08:14
Quote:
melton tiger
I think his reference to the "IRFU Franchise" is allusion to the (historic?) somewhat unlevel provincial playing field - with Leinster being the favoured province because of their greater earning potential for the IRFU (through use of the Aviva). Do Connacht currently get the same IRFU player budget as Leinster these days?
That isn't true though. Leinster play two regular game a season in the Aviva (usually against Munster plus a European game before Christmas). They play home European quarters or semis there as well but they may not get home games then, if they make the knock out stages at all. Their home for all other games is the RDS, which they rent. The IRFU, through Munster, own Thomond Park which also is more modern, much larger capacity and has corporate facilities. If anyone was to be favoured due to earning potential, it would be Munster! Unsurprisingly, the conspiracy theories don't stand up to scrutiny.

The Irish provinces don't get a player budget from the IRFU, their budget is derived from their own income but obviously don't pay the full cost of centrally contracted players (I believe the system now is that the province offers the player as much as they can and if the IRFU want the player available to the national team, they pay the balance required to keep the player). The down side to that of course is that they don't have control of the player and lose them even outside of international windows.

When Tigers were very successful on the back of a good crop of seriously talented homegrown players wanting to be successful with their local team, there was no talk of unlevel playing fields.

 
Re: Well done Leinster
melton tiger (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 11:05
See my post and the brackets (historic?). Connacht previously weren't funded handsomely as the other 3 provinces - I don't know the situation now or the IRFU deals on player funding. Little doubt that the IRFU benefits if Leinster do well. That's only the same as the RFU benefiting if say Quins got a home QF and Semi (some hope!). Not Sarries because they don't appear to have many fans...and not Wasps because they are some kind of Coventry based franchise now...

Probably the only difference is that Quins get the same RFU payment for player access at, for example, Sale, no matter how many players are provided to the England squad, whereas Leinster will get a higher player subsidy than Connacht because they have more players in the Irish squad.
So the conspiracy theory is - there is no tipping of the playing field towards Quins compared to Sale (although I expect to RFU would like there to be!) but there is to Leinster compared to Connacht.

 
Re: Well done Leinster
tbtb (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:08
Since Leinster is OWNED by the IRFU it is transparently not a club "just like Leicester".

It is a component of a gerrymandered monolithic system.

 
Re: Well done Leinster
Yorkie (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:37
For me, the big difference/advantage for Leinster over Tigers & Racing is their ability to rest players in their non-competitive league games (as league position is nearly certain to give them Champions cup rugby the following season) whereas the English and French leagues are far more competitive and attritional.



http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

 
Re: Well done Leinster
RuggyBuggy (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 13:56
Quote:
melton tiger
Probably the only difference is that Quins get the same RFU payment for player access at, for example, Sale, no matter how many players are provided to the England squad, whereas Leinster will get a higher player subsidy than Connacht because they have more players in the Irish squad.
So the conspiracy theory is - there is no tipping of the playing field towards Quins compared to Sale (although I expect to RFU would like there to be!) but there is to Leinster compared to Connacht.

But the vast majority of Leinster's players come from within Leinster, were developed through their academy and want to play for their local team (Henshaw being the main exception). I fail to see how this is the IRFU tipping the field towards Leinster. Leinster have just done a great job of producing players over the past decade, much like Munster produced a great team of homegrown players in the mid 2000s or Leicester did in the early 2000s! Were you accusing Leicester of having things tipped in their favour when they were winning European Cups or supplying many players to the national team?

Leinster have had closer to 20 players in Ireland squads, I wouldn't have thought that a favourable situation for them or the IRFU. Like I said, the IRFU make them rest players outside of international windows. I'm not sure all subsidies they receive are financially beneficial as they also have to carry additional players to cover so many internationals. If anything, Leinster seem to lose players to other provinces (Conway at Munster, Murphy going to Ulster).

Leinster might benefit from Dublin being a more attractive city to live in than Galway for players but that's not the IRFU tipping things no more than a player choosing to be based in London rather than Worcester.

 
Re: Well done Leinster
tbtb (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 14:30
Quote:
RuggyBuggy
Quote:
melton tiger
Probably the only difference is that Quins get the same RFU payment for player access at, for example, Sale, no matter how many players are provided to the England squad, whereas Leinster will get a higher player subsidy than Connacht because they have more players in the Irish squad.
So the conspiracy theory is - there is no tipping of the playing field towards Quins compared to Sale (although I expect to RFU would like there to be!) but there is to Leinster compared to Connacht.

But the vast majority of Leinster's players come from within Leinster, were developed through their academy and want to play for their local team (Henshaw being the main exception). I fail to see how this is the IRFU tipping the field towards Leinster. Leinster have just done a great job of producing players over the past decade, much like Munster produced a great team of homegrown players in the mid 2000s or Leicester did in the early 2000s! Were you accusing Leicester of having things tipped in their favour when they were winning European Cups or supplying many players to the national team?

Leinster have had closer to 20 players in Ireland squads, I wouldn't have thought that a favourable situation for them or the IRFU. Like I said, the IRFU make them rest players outside of international windows. I'm not sure all subsidies they receive are financially beneficial as they also have to carry additional players to cover so many internationals. If anything, Leinster seem to lose players to other provinces (Conway at Munster, Murphy going to Ulster).

Leinster might benefit from Dublin being a more attractive city to live in than Galway for players but that's not the IRFU tipping things no more than a player choosing to be based in London rather than Worcester.

Leinster and the IRFU are the same organisation.

 
Re: Well done Leinster
RuggyBuggy (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 09:28
Quote:
tbtb
Since Leinster is OWNED by the IRFU it is transparently not a club "just like Leicester".
It is a component of a gerrymandered monolithic system.

They are still though by any definition of the word, not being one like Leicester doesn't make it any less so.

How are the Irish provinces gerrymandered? Provinces there extend far beyond rugby and are centuries old, Wikipedia tells me that they were permanently set by the then English king!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?