rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: GPR Away v Gloucester Rugby Fri. Nov. 16th ko 7.45pm live on BT
Game After: GPR Home v Saracens Sun. Nov. 25th ko 3.00pm live on BT

Is john Lacey the worst Ref currently Officiating at International level?
Jon T (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 10:53
Cards on the table, I really dislike John Lacey, I find him arrogant and inconsistent. If he is ever reffing us in the Heineken i feel like the game is going to be negatively impacted, before a ball has even been kicked.

But his latest display of arrogant incompetence amazes even me.

Clearly blocking the french half back, subtly prompted by TMO, he awards the try.

He should be banned, players pay the penalty for mistakes, its about time there were consequences for all issues on the pitch. won't happen, and I know everyone makes mistakes but this was outrageous and he just keeps on ruining games.

[twitter.com]

Re: Is john Lacey the worst Ref currently Officiating at International level?
Tigergeezer (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 12:40
Tricky choice, but he's in my top (or bottom) three for sure.

The lowest depth to which people can sink before God is defined by the word 'journalist'.

Soren Kierkegaard

PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 14:23
Even stevens with Clancey for the shoitest internstional ref award.

dontlookdown (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 15:58
I do agree that Lacey is really not a good referee... But actually this instance I believe he's right. It is a viable tactic for attacking players to use the referee to block a tackle like that.

If the ball or the ball carrier come into contact with the referee then he can stop play, but there is no legal protection for a tackler that gets blocked. Annoying, but it is a loophole in the law, not Lacey's fault.

Mattwillarms (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 18:44
Matt Carley is pretty rubbish. Does Luke Pearce do international rugby? He is woeful in the premiership. What about Steve Walsh? Is he still around? His performance at Cardiff when England were going for the Grand Slam was as bent as I have ever seen!

On a positive. Glen Jackson was really good today.

PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 19:44
Said bearded drunk was also on my radar. Thank feck he's retired, isnt he.

harborofan (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 19:55
France have been dealt a terrible hand in the NZ series - Luke Pearce in his first Tier 1 match (yellow carded French 2nd rower for nothing when France were still in the game), Angus Gardiner who is al ways awful (failing to card either NZ player whose double head tackle put Gallo out of the game) and now Lacey who decided that hed make the 16th man. Added to their incompetence, none of them made the remotest attempt to speak any French - not that anyone would have understood Lacey whatever language hed been speaking...

SK 88 (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 20:02
Quote:
dontlookdown
I do agree that Lacey is really not a good referee... But actually this instance I believe he's right. It is a viable tactic for attacking players to use the referee to block a tackle like that.
If the ball or the ball carrier come into contact with the referee then he can stop play, but there is no legal protection for a tackler that gets blocked. Annoying, but it is a loophole in the law, not Lacey's fault.

The referee can award an attacking scrum for anything not explicitly covered in the laws, like for instance accidentally running a blocking line 5m out from the line.

He could easily and correctly given a scrum NZ and then positioned himself better from the second scrum.

Jon T (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 20:22
Sorry dontllokdown, but perhaps you'd like to watch it one more time. He's directly behind the 9 and impeding him from the moment the scrum takes place. Its not just a blocking line, he clearly impedes the player before that.

Marginal forward pass too.

dontlookdown (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 22:13
Quote:
SK 88
He could easily and correctly given a scrum NZ and then positioned himself better from the second scrum.

This is true he could have. That would have been better game management. But according to the law he doesn't have to. How common is it to see a player running at a referee, making a few yards more than he would have but it not leading to a try? This is never blown up... So because New Zealand got a score out of it this one should be pulled back? That imo is the inconsistency in refereeing that people want stamped out of the game.

The responsibility for it should be with world rugby for not closing the loophole in the law.

KevinR (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 07:23
An interesting corollary, if the French player had (understandably) barged Lacey out of the way, he would have faced a red card and a lengthy ban - Kieran Brookes, IIRC? As SK88 says, the common-sense and legitimate decision would have been to award another scrum. He has the discretion to do so and few would have objected.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 08:57
You can't cover every eventuality in the law book, that's why there is a general opt out in there. As Kevin says there have been several bans recently for pushing referees out of the way in those circumstances. Kolelasvili for Clermont against Ospreys was another one.

dontlookdown (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 22:11
Quote:
SK 88
You can't cover every eventuality in the law book, that's why there is a general opt out in there. As Kevin says there have been several bans recently for pushing referees out of the way in those circumstances. Kolelasvili for Clermont against Ospreys was another one.

Ok, so what do you think is the difference between the Lacey incident and this one? In both the referee clearly blocks a player which leads to an advantage to the other team.

Barnes

GT1 (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 07:03
Nice to see Toby in a Tigers shirt at the end there!
The answer to question is yes but there are a number of others vying for that particular title!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net