Latest News:

Next Game: Premiership Rugby 7's July 27th & 28th at Franklin's Gardens
Game After: Friendly Away v Cardiff Blues Sat. August 11th ko 2.30pm

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T Dear sir Thank you NHS
IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 13:56
I have no idea why the NHS is 'celebrating' 70 years, I can't remember any fuss at 18, 20, 21, 25 or 50. It might have a political motive or it might not. However as it, as yet, costs nothing to say say 'Thank You', I would like to thank you for the many times, over the years, that I have taken so much of your valuable bed space but most of all I would like to thank you for saving my life twice, without fuss or fanfare. I don't know how you do it but do it you do, thank you so much.

Baffled of Bilbrook

Re: O/T Dear sir Thank you NHS
Mrs H (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 15:02
Thank you, yes.
But Iím of the view that the NHS needs a serious overhaul and political parties need to grasp the nettle and make it fit for purpose . Hurling money at it is never a solution. I did a politics degree in the 80s and even then a leftist lecturer was arguing that the NHS would gobble up the whole of the GDP if we let it. I then spent more than 20 years working as a nurse in the NHS which only confirmed that view.
To celebrate an anniversary of an unwieldy, bloated state institution shows we are completely wedded to an unsustainable model in an almost quasi religious way and healthcare in this country,whilst free is not exactly the best
So I am not celebrating

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 15:11
I don't see anything better in the world and I have looked, cut out the miss use and cynical political interference and it will be fine for another 70 years.

Johns (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 18:07
Well said Mrs H.

06 July, 2018 18:34
A major issue facing the NHS is not funding but the amount of that funding which goes to private profit, commonly without any pretence of value. It is your and my taxes, to add insult to untreated injury

The NHS is being made unfit for purpose as a political objective imho. Once it is gone will be too late for it will never return, and will our grandchildren thank us?

''It [the NHS] will last as long as there are folk left with the faith to fight for it'' Aneurin Bevan

Are you faithfull?

Yorkie (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 21:33
Quote:
Mrs H

But Iím of the view that the NHS needs a serious overhaul and political parties need to grasp the nettle and make it fit for purpose .

Nail + head!!!!

Get some proper management in, pay them well and it will still be cheaper than what the management costs now.

Stop Doctors/Consultants hijacking the system and pay nurses what they are worth.

And stop health migrants taking advantage of our mug system.

Oh what fun I'd have sorting it out if I could ignore the politics and the @#$%& protection.

But no-one will be allowed to detonate that bomb!!!

Crongrats NHS but not sure what is driving this celebration/media event?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 22:50
Maybe being celebrated as some can see our next dictatorial @#$%& leader reese-feral-mogg breaking it up and selling the bits tjat can make money to the highest bidder before it reaches 75 ?

PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 22:59
Then again maybe i supoort it because I'd be another of those long since dead (like from birth) without it.

Remember the last big British institution to be privatised to allow private company managers run it far better than those in the place st the time ? British Rail. How EVERYONE up and down the country is overjoyed at how that has turned out and what increased value for money it delivers.

Just like BR, the NHS needs improvements. But you're deluded if you think that private sector management will guarantee sucess. Examples... Carrillion. BHS. HBOS. TSB. RBS. etc etc. Massively paid management that made a utter 'fest that caused total collapse.

06 July, 2018 23:26
Quote:
PrestonTiger
Maybe being celebrated as some can see our next dictatorial @#$%& leader reese-feral-mogg breaking it up and selling the bits tjat can make money to the highest bidder before it reaches 75 ?

Been going on for years

PT ''Just like BR, the NHS needs improvements. But you're deluded if you think that private sector management will guarantee success.''

Success? On the contrary, it is the millstone around the NHS' neck

''It [the NHS] will last as long as there are folk left with the faith to fight for it'' Aneurin Bevan

Are you faithfull?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 23:29 by odd-shaped vagaries.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 08:50
Just to be clear, I was not suggesting the privatisation of the NHS. Just supporting the shake up of it, particularly the current plentiful inefficient management (as I see it), as suggested by Mrs H.

Tiggs (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 12:17
How about making all sales to the NHS VAT Exempt ?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

Stopsy (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 12:22
Certainly needs professional management, not the overpriced bureaucracy we have today

Yorkie (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 12:24
Quote:
Tiggs
How about making all sales to the NHS VAT Exempt ?

TBH, would assume that they already are? Or the VAT is claimed back?

Aren't the NHS classed a charity?

Stopsy (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 13:05
Make all management and IT consultants work on verifiable contingent fee basis. They all say our work will save x million, the only verifiable bit is their fee!

Tom Paine (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 17:37
There's a lot of cant on here. First we spend well below the level (% of GDP per head) than France or Germany and other western European countries. Second the NHS is the most efficient healthcare system in the world - and if you haven't experienced the delays and form-filling of the French system (as I have), go try it. Third, The management costs of the NHS are a smaller proportion of the total spend than in any other system, particularly those that involve private insurance companies. Fourthly, the problems of the NHS have escalated since 2010, through chronic underfunding under the guise of the totally counter-productive austerity policy and the 'market-led reforms' (privatisation by stealth) of loony right politicians like the utterly disgraced Lansley. Finally, business frequently does solve a problem by 'throwing money at it,' though it usually chucks more into the salary pots of its incompetent senior managers - anyone for a Carillion or Crapita?

Tigergeezer (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 18:37
Quote:
Tom Paine
There's a lot of cant on here.

Indeed. It's like Play Away.

The lowest depth to which people can sink before God is defined by the word 'journalist'.

Soren Kierkegaard

Yorkie (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 18:42
Quote:
TG

It's like Play Away

An age revealing statement!

Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 18:28
Quote:
Tom Paine
There's a lot of cant on here. First we spend well below the level (% of GDP per head) than France or Germany and other western European countries. Second the NHS is the most efficient healthcare system in the world - and if you haven't experienced the delays and form-filling of the French system (as I have), go try it. Third, The management costs of the NHS are a smaller proportion of the total spend than in any other system, particularly those that involve private insurance companies. Fourthly, the problems of the NHS have escalated since 2010, through chronic underfunding under the guise of the totally counter-productive austerity policy and the 'market-led reforms' (privatisation by stealth) of loony right politicians like the utterly disgraced Lansley. Finally, business frequently does solve a problem by 'throwing money at it,' though it usually chucks more into the salary pots of its incompetent senior managers - anyone for a Carillion or Crapita?

Spot-on. Frankly, it's amazing that it has managed to be as successful as it has for 70 years with all of the political meddling that takes place.

Rich W (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 12:36
Quote:
Tom Paine

(Sm152)

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 13:16
Well, I started this post and I can only say that I am truly grateful for the help it has given my family and in particularly, me, over the years. I was there at the point of death of my grandmother, my mother and my dad, the staff were amazing on all occasions. I am not one of theses sentimentalists that think all Drs. and nurses are gods (nor are the armed forces or the emergency services). they are just doing their job. As in all jobs, some are better at it than others.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net