rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: Premiership Rugby 7's July 27th & 28th at Franklin's Gardens
Game After: Friendly Away v Cardiff Blues Sat. August 11th ko 2.30pm

How to manage injured players?
Bod (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 13:30
How's the Pimms flowing in this weather Tigers?

I noticed this article regarding a young player and his experiences of coming back from injury. Is it justified to make such accusations against young elite players who have only ever achieved their status by being the exact opposite in outlook and aspiration.

How very bizarre.

Selfish and a Shirker ?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Re: How to manage injured players?
Rich W (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 14:30
It's B**h - hardly a surprise.

pickanddrive (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 14:43
Quote:
Rich W
It's B**h - hardly a surprise.

Tigers, of course, have a great record of keeping players happy, keeping them fit and managing serious injuries...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 14:46 by pickanddrive.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 15:13
Well done Ballsout, well done, care to comment on the content of the article?

Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 16:40
Quote:
Bod
How's the Pimms flowing in this weather Tigers?
I noticed this article regarding a young player and his experiences of coming back from injury. Is it justified to make such accusations against young elite players who have only ever achieved their status by being the exact opposite in outlook and aspiration.

How very bizarre.

Selfish and a Shirker ?

I feel sorry for the lad to a degree, I know that in most sports if you don't conform to what the coaches and managers feel is "normal" for a player then you have to be pretty damn special for them to not unfairly bag you for it. Every year at the NFL combine there is a player pressed about their dedication to football because they have the temerity to enjoy doing something else as well - this year Chad Thomas was rubbished because he also has a career as a music producer and there was a quarterback (I think) who studied hard and became fluent in three languages besides English.

That said:
Quote:
"A lot of injured boys get involved in analysis meetings but that's just not me. I'm one who's happy to be told what to do."
You might be happy being told what to do but that sort of attitude isn't going to help your situation - that is quite immature of him, to be honest.

Hopefully a fresh start will do him good, he looked to be a good prospect at one point.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 18:45
And there’s the rub, he probably has grown up in the cocooned environment of pro- Rugby even in ihis development stages. Real world and cocoon collide. He is a talent and despite the good examples of front row players who make great leaders, many are introverted except on the pitch.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 11:02
Yep, there is a downside to the "only known, and made a living from, rugby since I was 14" situation. There was some merit and humility back in the days when most had day jobs and trained twice a week. But things have move on. There is merit imvho in making the players spend time learning another trade or skillset. Should be written into their contract. Last season, Manu, Logo, Veainu(?) and some others took a woodwork course. (They were late arriving at the player of the season awards due to an exam.)

Would have been good to see the lad at Tigers and our "family" attitude amongst the players might have suited him?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Rich W (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 11:11
thumbs down

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net