rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: ECC Home v Racing 92 Sun. Dec. 16th ko 1.00m live on BT
Game After: GPR Home v Harlequins Sat. Dec. 22nd ko 3.00m not live on TV

Beer and snacks
Tom Paine (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 13:07
My daughter is treating me to a trip to the Worcester game for my birthday. We'll be arriving too late for our usual visit to The Kayal this time and the pub we've been to before (the one that served the Samosas) has, I gather, closed. RichW's excellent guide is now a bit, like me, long in the tooth (2012) so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a pub not too far from the station or ground where we can get a decent pint and a snack - including something veggie - before the game.

Re: Beer and snacks
Rich W (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 13:13
I think the pub you mean is the Swan and Rushes - which I am led to understand has re-opened - whether it's any good now I can't say. You could try Brood @ Vin Quatre on New Walk - not too far from the ground. They do pretty good pizzas.

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 13:17
Happy 21st, Tom. Like Rich says, there are a few good places around, what about 'Spud u like' in Highcross. I have been going to 'GELATO', near the market, not very 'veggie' but lovely savories and cakes.

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 13:19
Swan & Rushes is now a "Trendy sports bar" unfortunately.

Rich W (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 13:20
Ack!

Jon T (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 13:45
Tbf the swan revamp is very superficial, real ale choice is gone, but cornish ales choice on tap is ok St austell and Sharps, and snacks cheapish.

Head of Steam is very good, excellent choice on bottle and tap and 20% off on match day to sth's (doesn't say it has to be yours or this years winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2018 13:46 by Jon T.

Jon T (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 13:48
Brood (once out of the vaults in new walk) also worth a look as is the blue boar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2018 18:46 by Jon T.

Rich W (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 13:52
The Blue Boar is the best pub in Leicester - and the snacks are top notch but if TP wants somewhere not too far from the station/ground Millstone Lane might be in the wrong direction.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:00
The Robert Peel has a good selection of food

Jon T (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:08
Agreed Stopsy possibly not as mentally busy in the Robert peel now the old Swan has reopened too.

The Head of Steam and Brood fit the bill then Rich, though the Blue boar is only 5 minutes walk further (15mins walk to the ground).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2018 14:10 by Jon T.

Tom Paine (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:56
Many thanks everyone. I reckon we'll go for the Sir Robert Peel which doesn't seem too far off course. And an area I used to know when I regularly walked up to Welford Road from The Boulevard 60 years ago. If any of you are in the pub after 1.30pm I'll happily buy you a pint to celebrate (72, Idle, I'm overtaking you!). Apart from my old man disguise (white hair-just - and beard) I'll be sporting my lurid green Superdry Tigers' shirt (a present, not a choice).

Tom Paine (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 17:28
Apparently the Sir Robert Peel doesn't serve food on Sundays. Still looking.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 17:50
Pooh!

tbtb (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 21:35
Don't go to the Swan and Rushes now, its proper @#$%&.

Tom Paine (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 21:37
Thanks tbtb.

tigersimon (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 00:13
Parcel Yard - Steamin Billy beers and Burgers

Tom Paine (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 13:06
Thanks tigersimon. We usually have a pint or two in the Parcelyard before catching the train home. Will probably take up your suggestion as we only need a quick snack before the game - might go to the Kayal after. Offer of a pint still stands.

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 17:58
Wherever you end up, Tom, Have a really good day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net