Current Page: 1 of 2
Is Dennis Betts still available?
L.F (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 16:59
Just asking.

Re: Is Dennis Betts still available?
Yorkie (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 20:10
Must admit, I'm all for giving Brett a go for a few weeks to see how he goes, especially now that it has come out that MOC took the defence coaching off him.

TBH, the defensive systems weren't at fault at the cuckoo's nest. It was more one up tackling from individual players. So a few tackling games of British Bulldog should remind them what to do.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 20:15
I would hope that Murphy is looking at CV's currently, but as Yorkie says I would be fine with giving Brett a bit to bed in his ideas.

For me would give it till after the Saints twickers game, it then gives us 5 weeks before the next Prem game and hopefully enough time for a new defence coach to actually change stuff (If needed)

17 September, 2018 20:37
Very interested to see how the coaching team changes.

Gone from
Head Coach - MOC
Forwards Coach - Bakewell
Backs Coach - MOC
Defence Coach - MOC
Breakdown coach/Development coach - Brett
Scrum Coach - Stanko
Assistant Backs/Developement head coach - Murphy

to
Head Coach - Murphy
Forwards Coach - Bakewell
Backs Coach - Murphy
Defnece Coach - Brett
Scrum Coach - Stanko
Assistant Backs coach/Development coach - Allen (Look at the training set-up and his on field role.

It's a very young coaching team and does Murphy maybe need to look at getting in another experience coach somewhere? Gibson was apparently at the wasps game.
Should we be looking to maybe bring Newby in the Deacon's previous role of Breakdown coach/Development coach?

Yorkie (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 20:55
I would like to see an office based DOR (like Deano) to be a mentor and sounding board for Geordie for a couple of seasons. Someone with a lot of experience and contacts. Someone admired throughout the game.

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 22:38
Go on then Yorkie I'll bite, who do ya want then?

Yorkie (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 02:21
Not sure. As always, it will depend upon who is available and willing.

Johnno would be great but just can't see it.

Vern Cotter might fit the bill but we probably can't afford him, he'd probably still want to pull his boots on and why would he leave the South of France?

Graham Henry or Wayne Smith?

Woodward even?

Joel Stransky?

Would Les Cusworth come back?

Purebob (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 02:37
Phil Blake was ace with us, but Wasps ween't exactly watertight on Sunday.

Donate now to Cancer research

Stopsy (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 05:35
Blake is no longer at Wasps, they have a guy from Nottingham, canít remember his name

Rich W (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 08:07
Blake wouldn't be a DoR though would he? Or was that solely a Defence Coach suggestion?
Either way - no!

In terms of that non-tracksuit DoR - Henry or Woodward would be brilliant - but a) we couldn't afford them; b) they wouldn't want to commit to it full time; c) I'm not sure they could help themselves from interfering; d) I don't think they'd suffer the board and e) we couldn't afford them!

Joel would be fantastic - I like the idea of that (though I don't have - and I don't suppose Yorkie has - any idea of whether he'd be interested in that sort of a job anywhere) but he has been out of NH Rugby for a long time now.

Think Wayne Smith would want to be coaching - like Vern Cotter.

Nick Mallet?
Martin Corry?
Pat Howard - I know you can't keep going back - but if he were not involved in the coaching side anymore?
I still like Austin's suggestion of Leon Lloyd.

tigersimon (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 09:58
Quote:
Stopsy
Blake is no longer at Wasps, they have a guy from Nottingham, canít remember his name
Costello

Stopsy (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 11:27
Thanks Simon

Yorkie (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 11:28
Rich

You are correct. I have no idea who is available or who might be willing to come but I was asked the question and did open with that premise. Fantasy list really, in no particular order apart from Johnno at the top.

IF we are to bring someone else in, for me they have to be a proper mentor for Geordan and a real figurehead, with worldwide repute, to attract stardust players, proven or developing (to add to the home grown). Maybe even someone like Geordan himself? I know the noose won't allow it but to have 3 world class 7s again like we once did in Backy, Lewis and Josh. So Leon doesn't real fit the bill in my vision. Cozza neither. Mallet or Pat might fit.

Actually, part time might work both in getting the right sort of guy to come who no longer wants a full time gig and by being more affordable. Would also not then be seen to be over Geordan and wouldn't be involved day to day. So Woodward and Henry might work? Can't see either putting up with bull or interference from the board which would be good as long as this was understood going in. But, for this reason, can't see board appointing someone who don't need the job/cash and so will the board it's my way or the highway! Woodward has got successful form for this with the old farts in suits at the cabbage patch!

Whoever it might be, they are there as a sounding board for Geordan, taking some of the flack and heat away from him, if only from our own board, so he can develop his team/squad and as a coach. Strictly a 2 year appointment whilst Geordan finds his feet.

Rich W (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 11:48
No - I understand the idea and could quite get behind it but I just don't see it happening - to find the right sort of candidate - who can work with the board and yet carry the clout we want as a figurehead but not want to be a coach and to then not mind it only being a two year gig...while still being affordable...

Now if we were to, say, bring someone in to that two year role with a view to them then stepping up into the CEO's position, and giving us that time to begin a reasonable process of 'refreshing' the board?

Yorkie (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 11:56
Quote:
Rich W
No - I understand the idea and could quite get behind it but I just don't see it happening - to find the right sort of candidate - who can work with the board and yet carry the clout we want as a figurehead but not want to be a coach and to then not mind it only being a two year gig...while still being affordable...

Me neither. I did use the word fantasy!!!

Need someone who wants their ego polishing?

Quote:
Rich W
Now if we were to, say, bring someone in to that two year role with a view to them then stepping up into the CEO's position, and giving us that time to begin a reasonable process of 'refreshing' the board?

Now who's dreaming?!!

Gez (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 13:06
Is the good Doctor available? I'm sure Mr Venter is the kind of character who could handle any nonsense the BOD may throw at him. As long as we promise him a good supply of biscuits I'm sure he'd be more than happy with a director of rugby or consultancy role.

Rich W (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 13:15
I doubt he'd be universally popular among the supporters but I wouldn't object.

Tom Paine (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 14:13
Do DORs also have head coaches? I always thought it was a kind of honorary title to reward successful head coaches like Deano.

Rich W (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 14:18
Deano did very little coaching after the first year or so. And still doesn't as I understand it. I think the idea is that a DoR should be a member of the BoD with management responsibility for the playing (and therefore coaching) side. I'm not actually sure that's what we're talking about.

18 September, 2018 14:22
Quote:
Tom Paine
Do DORs also have head coaches? I always thought it was a kind of honorary title to reward successful head coaches like Deano.

Glous do.

Yeh Deano does no coaching now, apparently tried to do some coaching when he went to France and it didn't work out.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net