Latest News:

Next Game: ECC Away v Racing 92 Sun. Dec. 9th ko 3.15pm live on BT
Game After: ECC Home v Racing 92 Sun. Dec. 16th ko 1.00m live on BT

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Premiership considering 13 teams and ring fence
Stopsy (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 08:01
They can smell weakness and fear at Bath & Leicester?

Player welfare? Of course, we'll go to the Celtic model of resting the first team half the time.

I was thinking of getting a season ticket when I retire, I a ring fenced competition, I'd rather watch us in the Championship.

Re: Premiership considering 13 teams and ring fence
blueamada (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 08:23
...right now that would be quite handy.smiling smiley

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 08:42
This rumour happens every year.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 09:19
Would you seriously prefer to see us stay up on anything but merit?

Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 09:26
Regardless of feelings on it, I think ringfencing is inevitable. Once you bring up Oirish, who is left in the Championship that could actually compete and, more importantly, wants to? Bedford have always stated they aren't interested in it, and for various reasons I suspect most of the others would be in the same boat. Rotherham, Cornish and Yorkshire are the only three that spring to mind and, if they wanted to, could presumably petition for an enlarged competition in the future. And a ringfenced competition would potentially make Europe more competitive and, in theory at least, increased player welfare. Those are the two things most important to those in charge (admittedly the latter not for any concern about the players but for protecting their investments).

Yorkie (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 09:33
Will defo happen this summer after Tigers get relegated. Others will take their chance! And Tigers will probably vote for it too by mistake ........

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

04 December, 2018 09:49
Quote:
Brownian Motion
Regardless of feelings on it, I think ringfencing is inevitable. Once you bring up Oirish, who is left in the Championship that could actually compete and, more importantly, wants to? Bedford have always stated they aren't interested in it, and for various reasons I suspect most of the others would be in the same boat. Rotherham, Cornish and Yorkshire are the only three that spring to mind and, if they wanted to, could presumably petition for an enlarged competition in the future. And a ring-fenced competition would potentially make Europe more competitive and, in theory at least, increased player welfare. Those are the two things most important to those in charge (admittedly the latter not for any concern about the players but for protecting their investments).

Oi! Hands off Pirates!

Well I actually think the suits main concern is money and should they devalue the competitive nature of the beast by taking away the scrap against relegation, amongst any of the clubs who earn their place at the bottom, they will ultimately lose not just biims on seats but tv money and that would seriously hurt. In fact it should be a two up - two down meritocracy and would actually improve the Championship which all to often is just a procession.

It is not inevitable and should be fought against as hard as any relegation battle

You would think that at some point even the people currently destroying professional rugby will see the light

The referee is the final arbitrary

Yorkie (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 09:53
Actually, over the next 5 or 6 years, the Prem clubs may well get poorer as the TV money is reigned back and the RFU contribution is cut drastically to cover their losses. Even some of the sugar daddies may continue to leave the game? Will shrink the wealth gap between the Prem and Championship.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 10:02
The league should be on merit, I'd happily take 11th place survival due to someone in another game being tackled when over the line in the last minute etc. but if we finish 12th we deserve to go down.

It would definitely mean that no rich person would buy Coventry for example and build them up. Ringfencing is, in my opinion, the antithesis of competitive sport.

scottietiger (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 10:17
Let's hope they push it through immediately! But seriously I'm in favour of it,better player welfare,it will work better for England,teams can build a style without a win at all costs mentality,youngsters will be used more rather than players brought in for big money and LI will be able to keep their academy players!!

Yorkie (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 10:30
Who cares about England?

And it could be said that this pursuit of a flashy style of rugby is what has put Tigers where we currently are? The want to provide the TV with lots of wunderous tries ....

And how will it be better for player welfare? Rising player wages will continue to reduce the size of squads due to a fixed total player budget meaning players have to earn their dosh a bit more by playing more minutes. Simple economics.

Academy players from the Not Nots, Tigers and elsewhere will continue to move on when clubs offer more money to fill a hole in their squad which their own player development machine didn't provide a body to fill.

So many games will become dead rubbers and thus boring that TV will reduce what they pay for a sport in decline.

Ring fencing will kill the sport imvho.

KingoftheHill (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 10:32
Quote:
Brownian Motion
Regardless of feelings on it, I think ringfencing is inevitable. Once you bring up Oirish, who is left in the Championship that could actually compete and, more importantly, wants to? Bedford have always stated they aren't interested in it, and for various reasons I suspect most of the others would be in the same boat. Rotherham, Cornish and Yorkshire are the only three that spring to mind and, if they wanted to, could presumably petition for an enlarged competition in the future. And a ringfenced competition would potentially make Europe more competitive and, in theory at least, increased player welfare. Those are the two things most important to those in charge (admittedly the latter not for any concern about the players but for protecting their investments).

Ealing? And Yorkshire are currently propping the table up

scottietiger (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 10:34
That's your opinion,let's see ay. But would LI have had their academy rinsed if it was a closed shop? Nope. Their yo-yoing has caused this. Player welfare? A bye every week! I care about England!! Maybe we can approach things like the PRO14 Irish sides. Win win all round for me, hopefully they can get it through ASAP,who knows it might've already been in CVC terms and it's a done deal and will be announced shortly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2018 10:38 by scottietiger.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 10:36
Do Leeds still have their Prem shares?

Jim H (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 10:40
Quote:
Yorkie
Do Leeds still have their Prem shares?

No, they sold thiers to Exeter. After a period in the top level a team can force a team, that has been out of the top level, to sell their P shares. Teams have to agree a value on them.

When Exe became eligable, to buy the P Shares, Steve Lansdown had come on board at Bristol and they couldn't afford ours. Leeds sold out.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 10:49
I support Leicester Tigers not some half-@rsed England feeder club.

Half way through the season, not going too well, feet up, there's always next season and no downside.

scottietiger (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 10:59
Well hold on to your hats! It's going through definitely but won't be this season. So I guess the relegated team gets a reprieve?

04 December, 2018 11:00
I kind of support England rugby.

Without them Rugby wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is now. (and it's not that popular now really).

04 December, 2018 11:02
Quote:
Brownian Motion

Rotherham are in league 1 playing Loughborough.

As said Ealing are really the only club with Prem ambitions.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 11:10
Sandbach RUFC it is then until we move house.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net