Latest News:

Next Game: Pre-Season Friendly - TBA
Game After:

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: RING-FENCING. AN ALTERNATIVE?
Yorkie (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 16:44
IF CVC deliver the extra income promised/expected, then matchday income will no longer be significant for most clubs. (Already the case for most in the football Prem and some of the rugby Prem now!). So crowd size will no longer be that significant. And then it follows that ground size is not that important. Start with, say, a 2,000 minimum and develop things so that, say, 10,000 is the norm/smallest? (Have Tigers built themselves a white elephant?)

It will all be about the matchday experience (I hate that expression!) and the quality of the available facilities. Family friendly facilities and ticket deals. At WR, the Crumbie and it's old, poor toilets would not be acceptable for example. Posh facilities at affordable day out prices.

So, where clubs are based compared geographically to others doesn't really matter. Basing clubs upon old, long established frameworks makes sense to me. No need to artificially geographically spread the game based upon some imagined demand imvho. This might come in time though as things evolve over the next 10/20 years.

Probably harder to sort would be the Academy/recruitment boundaries. Although, these appear currently to be the usual RFU confused mess so maybe the time has come for some radical new thought about it all. Most Academies must be based upon existing strongholds as there is no point in reinventing this wheel but there is no reason why trying to apply some geographic spread to these shouldn't be very carefully looked at.

Maybe there should be more neutral physical Academy facilities into which teams place their young players? Centrally PRL funded, the running and creation? Take the RFU completely out of the whole setup and organisation of them. Just get them to throw some funding into the pot?

The Academy situation and the long term player creation pipeline would greatly benefit from some "clean paper" thinking and radical change imvho. Maybe even introduce some kind of draft arrangement like NFL at, say, 21(?) for players ready to step up?

The most important thing for me is that this CVC cash windfall doesn't just disappear into the existing 12/13 Prem clubs and get wasted. Flushed away.

And, going back to Yorkshire Carnegie (their latest name!!). Is there a lesson to learn here? Was it that successful to take 2 local, successful and geographically very close clubs in Roundhay and Headingley and stick them together? Otley not that far away and neither is Harrogate to name just two other local longstanding league clubs.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

SK 88 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 18:06
Match day revenue still makes up 18% of Man Utd's income and 25% of Arsenal's income comes from the match day. At Tigers its 26% currently.

Table from football analyst Swiss Ramble.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dx_BgIWWwAAevsZ.jpg

Interestingly we roughly divide in a similar way to the top football clubs with 43% coming from commercial revenue and 30% coming from TV.

In the future matchday revenues will still be an important income stream and, perhaps more importantly, still be a key differentiator between clubs.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 19:22
In football, the Man Utd's, Arsenal's, Tottenham's, Man City's and other large stadia big clubs will continue to have a significant match day revenue but they are in the minority. In rugby, you've got Tigers, Exeter and Bristol with significant crowds. Glaws and Saints too maybe. But that's still less than half and as central funding increases then the halfway point will move along with it.

Matchday revenue will always be a differentiator in both sports but, as we've seen in rugby, a proper salary noose equalises things. And bigger stadia need more investment so the extra income has a good home.

GT1 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 18:52
Any news of the meeting about ring - fencing today?

Stopsy (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 20:09
See BBC for some direction

06 February, 2019 06:47
... and so it goes ...

[www.bbc.co.uk]

The referee is the final arbitrary

Stopsy (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 07:37
And so the dream of retiring to Leicestershire and getting 2 season tickets evaporates just as it is coming into view.

If it goes through, the purveyors of the Tigers Family won't give two hoots that I leave.

Fat Boy (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 10:17
I'm going to wait and see. A ring-fenced premiership I'd need a lot of convincing to support, but separating the amateur and pro game with a two tier ring-fence (and scope for movement in/out as others develop) might be a pragmatic move. And there's still a fair to middling chance that as in previous years it will all come to nothing.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 10:22
I too will wait and see, but ring fencing will be the straw (log) that breaks this camelís back.

06 February, 2019 16:31
Quote:
Stopsy
I too will wait and see, but ring fencing will be the straw (log) that breaks this camelís back.

I too have the hump, but as a dromedary I only have the hump once, thus far

The referee is the final arbitrary

tigersimon (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 19:43
Quote:
Stopsy

+1

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 14:06
W are against ring fencing, 9 of the other 12 would be guilty of rank hypocrisy as they have all, at some stage come up from lower divisions. The other 3, with varying degrees of honesty, probably support it, under the guise of'long term stability' and/ or 'player welfare', an arguement that fools no one.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 15:20
If Tigers take an open and transparent anti-ringfencing position and demonstrably vote that way I could continue to support them.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 19:50
Geordan seems in favour of it.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 20:12
Well if it comes to pass Iíll no longer support a travesty

AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 12:47
Bristol have suddenly become very popular at Cov (almost as popular as the Cuckoos).
They struggle to get out of the Championship for several years, and now the owner is falling over himself to pull up the drawbridge.
And then they lend Hartpury five squad players just in time for the Cov vs Hartpury match tomorrow...

I used to like Bristol.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 12:49
Hypocrites of the highest order in Bristol's ownership

Yorkie (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 13:24
Thought Hartpury's close tie up was with Glaws?

AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 15:11
Glaws have turned their attention back more to Cinderford this season, apparently.
However, it turns out that they've also supplied three players to Hartpury this weekend.
And Wuss have weighed in with one too.
So, we're up against a slack handful of 'pury players, and NINE prem players.
Joke. Absolute joke.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 15:30
Stewards enquiry called for?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net