rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: GPR Away v Worcester Warriors Sun. Feb. 24th ko 1.00pm live on BT
Game After: GPR Home v Wasps Sat. Mar. 2nd ko 3.00pm live on BT

Charlie Clare to return
Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 11:01
The 27 year old former Leicester Tigers academy member, and current Bedford Hooker is set to return according to the Rugby Paper (Jon Newcombe not Fissler) saying he's signed a 2 year deal.

Guessing McMillan replacement maybe also Stevens?

Re: Charlie Clare to return
SK 88 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 11:24
Odd one. Never even made the A league with us before (more from bad luck and timing). Looked okay but not world beating at Saints.

Hooker position is in a bit of flux. Bodes for bad news on Jimmy's concussion issues imo.

10 February, 2019 12:38
Kerr
Polota-Nau
Youngs
Clare
Mahoney

Maybe also see Allsop or Gibson come up from the U18 to the development squad

Honestly wouldn't be a bad move I guess.

So seems like we have signed
Clare
Leatigaga
Green
Tuafua
Reid
Taute
So far for next season, only 1 has been 100% confirmed.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 13:42
Didn't we loan him out to Jersey?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

SK 88 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 13:44
Yeah those five look good but Youngs' level is only going in one direction and there have been lots of rumours around TPN, Scotland don't always bring their caps home but there will always be that pull on Kerr if he continues to develop as we hope(/need).

I suppose you could come up with arguments like that for all positions but just doesn't "feel" settled to me at the moment.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 13:46
Quote:
Yorkie
Didn't we loan him out to Jersey?

He played for them. Can't remember if it was on loan or after he left permanently.

10 February, 2019 14:17
Quote:
SK 88
Yeah those five look good but Youngs' level is only going in one direction and there have been lots of rumours around TPN, Scotland don't always bring their caps home but there will always be that pull on Kerr if he continues to develop as we hope(/need).
I suppose you could come up with arguments like that for all positions but just doesn't "feel" settled to me at the moment.

I think the way Kerr gone about his trip in rugby, I personally see him staying at Tigers for a long time.
It's different to Hamilton. (And Hamilton can serve as a reminder that going Scotland doesn't really help with the caps)

I reckon next season will be OTY last, maybe a farmer contract after.

TPN is staying from what I gather currently BUT I have heard the club are looking at other options and have them lined up. (I think the club feel MOC pushed to hard and therefore overpaid, again this is from rumours).

But if TPN goes I expect us to have a good plan B in order.

We have more pressing priorities this season to sort and those 5 should do the job for a season, no point adding more problems just yet.

Captain Darling (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 16:44
The Waratahs have a bit of cash to splash but a mixed bag of players at hooker so I could understand a return to them for TPN if he were offered good money post RWC.

10 February, 2019 18:35
Looking at the rumoured comings/goings.

Prop - Genge, Cole, Bateman, Heyes, Feao, Leatigaga, Grahamslaw

Good options. Perhaps short a tight-head. Could Cortes potentially stay?

Hooker - Kerr, TPN, Youngs, Clare, Mahoney

Question marks over TPN but solid options. If change at hooker doesn't come this summer you'd imagine it would next.

Lock - Green, Spencer, Wells

Still lots of question marks. Big tent signing? Slater? The later seems unlikely sadly. James Voss may come back from Coventry to offer cover.

Back row - Taufua, Thompson, Denton, Kalamafoni, Reffell, Lewis

Questions over openside if Evans and BOC move on but there would be cap to invest in that case. I'm still not convinced by the options at number 8.

Scrum-half - Youngs, Harrison, Simmons, White

Excellent position to be in at 9.

Fly-half - G Ford, Hardwick

I can see a signing at fly-half with Hardwick likely to cover 12 and Ford away for the RWC.

Centre - Tuilagi, Eastmond, Reid, Taute

This would be excellent investment in the centre but depth would still be needed.

Back three - Veainu, May, Holmes, Olowofela, Worth

Potential re-signings in Thompstone, Sarto and Varndell. Potential signing in Charlie Walker. Depth at fullback could do with improving.

BG01 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 21:08
Think that's a fair analysis. I think we could get away without signing a TH as Cole will be available all season and some of the others can play both positions.

At fly-half I think Noel Reid is being seen as an option there, which should mean we're moderately well covered (although it would help if Worth stayed as he can cover 10).

At fullback I wonder if the depth there comes from SAR and then Freddie Steward coming into the development team.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 08:46
Cole will surely be at the RWC and I've seen no indication he will retire from internationals after it. Surely third Lions tour would be a big target for him?

PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 12:30
Centre / Full back cover.

Do we think / expect either Matt Smith (centre) or Matt Tait (cover centre or fullback) will be retained and / or fit next season.
I know some rumours elsewhere on this board that maybe Tait's injury could prevent a return at all, but i have no idea whether true.

11 February, 2019 12:43
I expect Smith and Tait to retire.

With Allen doing more coaching with the seniors wouldn't be surprised if Smith gets a role in the academy.

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 15:14
Clare was a pretty stable 3rd choice for Saints behind Heywood and Hartley for a while, and got plenty of top flight game time off the bench in the Prem & Europe with Dylan's various bans, injuries and England commitments effectively elevating him to 2nd choice a fair bit. We never struggled in the lineout, his accuracy was decent.

Charlie probably left at the right time for himself and Saints with both Marshall and Fish snapping at his heels for 3rd choice, but unless hes regressed at Bedford then he is a capable and experienced signing to bolster a Premiership squad.

BG01 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 15:31
I don't think the impact of the RWC will be too bad - as the season is due to start later isn't it? This means that they'll only miss the first 3 games.

Yes I had assumed that he'd plan to retire as he'll be 32 and I'd imagine will be unlikely to make the 2021 Lions tour, given the players coming through. But I could be wrong!

SK 88 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 17:03
Quote:
BG01
I don't think the impact of the RWC will be too bad - as the season is due to start later isn't it? This means that they'll only miss the first 3 games.
Yes I had assumed that he'd plan to retire as he'll be 32 and I'd imagine will be unlikely to make the 2021 Lions tour, given the players coming through. But I could be wrong!

The Premiership season is indeed due to start later, certainly compared to some season in the past the impact will be less but you'll always get more injuries both at and after a RWC and we have no blank weeks during the season so will need to rotate during the season more.

I imagine we have paid Leatigaga to not be selected by Samoa (if we are actually signing him and if they were going to pick him anyway as he's only got 5 caps the last in 2017) but plausible selections for the RWC are Genge, Cole, Fe'ao, Leatigaga with worst case scenario being Cortes going with Argentina and Bateman beng selected by Wales.

Are we sure Cortes signed for only one year?

11 February, 2019 19:33
TPN, Youngs, Ford, Tuilagi and May are nailed on for RWC squads if fit. Genge and Cole have a good shot.

Kerr has a good chance of being 3rd choice hooker behind McInally and Brown. George Turner was 3rd choice before injury but Kerr is better in set-piece.

Denton has an outside shot depending on Scotland injuries and his fitness. If he returns soon then he will make the Scotland training camps but will be an outside chance if others are fit.

Holmes has a shot for the Wales squad depending on injuries.

Pacific Isles sides usually select stronger squads for the RWC so Veainu and Kalamafoni will likely be there with Tonga. Mapapalangi was in their Autumn International squad as well but may not be with Tigers next season. Feao also has a good chance.

If Sarto stays fit and re-signs - which I really hope he does - then he will be picked by Italy.

Hopefully there will be a marquee forward signing to add to this list as well!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net