rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: Pre-Season Friendly - TBA
Game After:


Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Our squad
Stopsy (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 17:38
Watching last night’s game and today’s Gloucester game it is obvious that we have tried to create a super star first XX and in doing so have had no money for the rest of the squad. Green, Goneva, Logo, Slater, Balmain, all very good players who we couldn’t afford to keep.

 
Re: Our squad
13 April, 2019 19:04
Yep



The referee is the final arbitrary

 
Re: Our squad
SK 88 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 20:29
We told Balmain he could leave in August the year before he left after we recruited Cilliers ahead of him (even though we had Cole & Mulipola already). We did not offer Goneva a contract and signed JP Petersen instead.

We've wasted a lot of money and treated players very badly. I'm not 100% sure we do actually over pay for the first XV particularly, getting very poor value from them is not quite the same thing.

 
Re: Our squad
Stopsy (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 20:56
We’ll never really know but Toomua, Tuilagi, Ford, May, Cole, Young’s cannot be cheap. Assuming 2 of those are marquee the other 4 will take up a lot of cap.

 
Re: Our squad
Captain Darling (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 20:57
If the rumoured signings come off then the squad is moving in the right direction for next season.

Jordan Taufua - Top drawer back row. Explosive player who carries well in tight and loose. A potential RPA player of the season.

Calum Green - Has developed into a very good Prem second row. Has great stats for lineout takes and steals which we direly need to improve. He also wont take up as much cap as current locks/blindsides who are earning a lot for what they offer.

Tomas Lavanini - Offers the sort of physicality that the pack is missing. He carries well and hits very hard in the tackle. Capable of Borthwick esque stupidity but also capable of getting over the gain line from slow ball.

Noel Reid - A good foil for Manu, strong all round game and available all season. Also won't cost a fortune. I see Reid as exactly the sort of signing Tigers haven't made enough for several seasons.

Jaco Taute - Covers 12/13 to a very good standard and can slot in at 15. He's a leader and another ball carrier, which will take pressure off Manu and allow rotation.

That's along with the re-signing of Lewis, Reffell, White, Simmons, Hardwick and Olowofela from the development squad. Retaining and developing those youngsters is key to not overspending on squad players.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2019 20:12 by Captain Darling.

 
Re: Our squad
Elder (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 20:57
Our Marquees are absolutely woeful in terms of value for money. It’s like playing with one hand tied behind your back.

 
Re: Our squad
SK 88 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 22:41
Quote:
Stopsy
We’ll never really know but Toomua, Tuilagi, Ford, May, Cole, Young’s cannot be cheap. Assuming 2 of those are marquee the other 4 will take up a lot of cap.

I agree they're not cheap.

But compared to other sides I don't see the difference, its not like Cipriani, Farrell, Nowell etc come cheap.

Getting value from them is a different kettle of fish though.

 
Re: Our squad
Tom Paine (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 19:36
Of those named above, I'd keep Ford, May and Cole. They've all tried their damndest in recent weeks.

 
Re: Our squad
SK 88 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 20:42
Quote:
Captain Darling
If the rumoured signings come off then the squad is moving in the right direction for next season.
Jordan Taufua - Top drawer back row. Explosive player who carries well in tight and loose. A potential RPA player of the season.

Calum Green - Has developed into a very good Prem second row. Has great stats for lineout takes and steals which we direly need to improve. He also wont take up as much cap as current locks/blindsides who are earning a lot for what they offer.

Tomas Lavanini - Offers the sort of physicality that the pack is missing. He carries well and hits very hard in the tackle. Capable of Borthwick esque stupidity but also capable of getting over the gain line from slow ball.

Noel Reid - A good foil for Manu, strong all round game and available all season. Also won't cost a fortune. I see Reid as exactly the sort of signing Tigers haven't made enough for several seasons.

Jaco Taute - Covers 12/13 to a very good standard and can slot in at 15. He's a leader and another ball carrier, which will take pressure off Manu and allow rotation.

That's along with the re-signing of Lewis, Reffell, White, Simmons, Hardwick and Olowofela from the development squad. Retaining and developing those youngsters is key to not overspending on squad players.

We've also been linked to EW Viljoen from the Stormers.

I wonder wether that is an either/or with Taute?

 
Re: Our squad
Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 20:54
With is the talk.
Toomua, Owen, Tait prob replaced by Reid, Taute, Viljeon

 
Re: Our squad
Captain Darling (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 22:51
12.Reid, Eastmond, Smith
13.Tuilagi, Taute, Viljeon

I'd take that any day. Reid and Taute will be available season round and allow some cash to be diverted back into the forwards, which seems to be happening as well.

The back three still needs work, particularly if Tombstone moves on. I hope Sarto gets a chance over the next few games. He was a fine player prior to the injuries and would be a good addition longer term if that player is still there.

If Falcons do go down then they have several back three players who would add good options to the squad.

 
Re: Our squad
Tiggs (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 07:41
I would look at Hammersley.



http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

 
Re: Our squad
Rich W (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 08:56
What about that bloke...oh what's his name...Gone...Gona...Goneva?

If anything were ever to say something about our recruitment.



...

 
Re: Our squad
15 April, 2019 13:20
Quote:
Rich W
What about that bloke...oh what's his name...Gone...Gona...Goneva?
If anything were ever to say something about our recruitment.

Got to disagree .. he's 35 and our priorities are elsewhere I reckon



The referee is the final arbitrary

 
Re: Our squad
JK (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 09:07
I'm with OSV.

Goneva was dropping balls too often when he was with us and not a great tackler. Reminded me of Leon Lloyd (and Tom Varndell, and Nnamdi Ezulike)... devastating with a bit of space to run in and ball in hand but elsewhere, not so much. Had just started to lose a yard of pace too.

One of our biggest problems is that we have spent a lot of money on players who have not served us well whether through injury (Toomua, Tuilagi, Veanu), international unavailability (Toomua, Tuilagi, Youngs, May), not being up to standard (Eastmond, Ford J, Varndell) or just that they didn't give a damn in the Tigers way of old (Toomua, TPN).

I also think Ford G is still wearing the emperor's new clothes and has been found out by England now as being insufficiently physical. I know there are many here who will disagree.

With all this stuff, it's a 40-man squad game these days and we've played it like a 23-man squad game which has prevented us from being at the top table.

That the 23 haven't performed to expectations or played as a team has left us where we are.

 
Re: Our squad
Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 09:54
Quote:
JK
I also think Ford G is still wearing the emperor's new clothes and has been found out by England now as being insufficiently physical. I know there are many here who will disagree.

He's a fly-half, he's not there to thump players back in the tackle. He's not a turnstile like Cipriani or Quade Cooper, whilst also not being the tackle-hungry beast that was Johnny Wilkinson (though how much of his injury history was because he was a frustrated flanker?). And he actually misses far fewer tackles than Farrell.

 
Re: Our squad
JK (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 11:37
Our views differ but mine remains that he is insufficiently physical.

I'm not asking for Wilkinson but in my view, the opposition target him and, even when he makes a tackle, he seems to go backwards.

He's great on the front foot but behind a retreating pack or when things are not going his way, he doesn't have it for me.

We also spent a large sum of money on him to the detriment of the squad elsewhere. Not enough bang for our buck I'm afraid... as with Toomua and TPN.

Youngs and Tuilagi seem to play much better for England than they do Tigers which worries me. I accept that it may be as a result of getting quicker and better ball but even so.

Time for a big re-think, preferably now rather than after a thrashing in the first game of next season.

 
Re: Our squad
Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 11:44
Well...yeah. He's a fly-half. It's not like other fly halves are making dominant tackles, either. Why are you holding to Ford to what's essentially an impossible standard?

 
Re: Our squad
JK (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 14:25
I note his place in the England team has been taken by Farrell.

I also preferred Burns and Williams.

 
Re: Our squad
Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 14:40
Ironic considering both of them had massive flaws.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?