Next Game: Pre-Season Friendly - TBA
Game After:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Academy documentary series
SK 88 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 20:37
22 minute documentary on RugbyPass, the first of a series

Interesting to watch and see how they do it.

Re: Academy documentary series
SK 88 (IP Logged)
21 April, 2019 19:04

Jon T (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 10:06
Thanks SK, really interesting, links useful too, couldn't seem to play ep 2 going direct but could via your link.

Much appreciated.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 10:43
No problem at all Jon, I thought they might prompt a bit more discussion than they have!

Will be really interested to see which players firstly get kept on but secondly develop in the future.

Physically Martin and Steward really stand out at that level, while Ilione and Costelow seem to be the leaders on the tactical side of the game.

Which week did we play Wasps at U-18? I thought it was interesting Kalamafoni trained with them, seemingly in a red (non-contact?) bib. I wondered if that was getting a session in for HIA protocol reasons?

Jon T (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 11:11
5th Jan, and quite possibly.

Yeah, its good to see the potential we have coming through.

Always knew of, and about the younger home grown players having watched their rise through the ranks. But I've become a bit detached from the progress of younger players, I always watched the extras/dev team games but since they started moving them all away from Welford road and filling them with guest players I've just stopped.

Maybe a few trips to oval park to see the Academy more often should be next seasons goal.

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 11:57
Considering Ilione is only U17, he seems a massively impressive leader.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2019 20:09

SK 88 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2019 20:27
One of the things i worry about watching this is that there is a lot of book work at every stage, they always have a pen in their hand.

Are we in danger of producing the best rugby scholars and not the best rugby players?

SK 88 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2019 20:43
Also, could we actually have(/had) a perfectly good head coach here all along? Jamie Taylor's not going to be short on work after this series you'd think!

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
02 May, 2019 21:41
But some of the best rugby players are also the best scholars.
Not really sure what the worry is about it, do you know what they are writing down?

Tiggs (IP Logged)
03 May, 2019 10:12
Maybe they are being taught how to not run a Rugby Club, we have plenty of experts who can teach them !!

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

SK 88 (IP Logged)
03 May, 2019 10:52
Quote:
Ayerzawannabe
But some of the best rugby players are also the best scholars.
Not really sure what the worry is about it, do you know what they are writing down?

And some aren't, obviously its not a problem for those that are both good at rugby and good at bookwork.

My worry is that I know what people are like, once they start doing something they start monitoring it and then start evaluating people on it. Not every player needs to know the "why" or the "how" so long as they actually "do".

As I say its a worry not a problem.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
03 May, 2019 10:58
What I loved was that during the Wasps game the coach got a message on to a player "X isn't going well, what are you going to do about it?" rather than telling him the answer. The organisation & facilities have come on a bit!

SK 88 (IP Logged)
03 May, 2019 11:25
Agree Stopsy, the coaches are very much "here is the problem, what are you going to do?" which is good to see.

Do you think the first team players get asked the same?

Stopsy (IP Logged)
03 May, 2019 11:50
"is there a problem" "what was I told to do about it"

Stopsy (IP Logged)
03 May, 2019 13:01
Just watched 3rd episode, one of the physios in the background was a lad that I used to coach, great to see him involved.

Really interesting watching, so much of it applicable to the first team in terms of what needs to be done, the difference is that these lads are turning words into actions.

Matt Smith "we can't just have the same things needing learning week after week.....

SK 88 (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 20:29
Episode 4, here includes the game played at Welford Road.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 16:58

Stopsy (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 22:10
Thanks

Pred7 (IP Logged)
19 May, 2019 18:32
Just catching up on this series and it's clear that Jamie Taylor is an exceptional coach - very similar style to Ben Ryan. Such a shame that he's now left Tigers for a role at the English Institute of Sport. I can't see any announcement from Tigers despite him overseeing two championship winning U18 teams.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net