rugbyunion
Latest News:

Next Game: Pre-Season Friendly - TBA
Game After:

Ringfencing
IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 14:06
We have to remain vigilant, they couldn't get it through the front door, the back door was locked, now they are trying to sneak it through th French windows

Re: Ringfencing
Stopsy (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 15:14
Indeed it appears the answer is ring fencing, now what’s the question?

harlequinade (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 18:16
The Premiership is effectively ring fenced now with the injection of the CVC money.
It will just mean one team will occasionally play in the championship!

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

harlequinade (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 18:30
or this?
Daily Heil

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

L.F (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 18:39
Bottom club playing the top one in the lower league, home and away, makes sense and should reduce the incidence of clubs yo-yoing between the two leagues each year. It isn't ringfencing as such.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 19:20
What’s wrong with yo yoing? There are a number of clubs that have gone down for one season only. For those who want to watch B teams going through the motions while the a team is saved for a select few fixtures it will be great. Not for me thanks

SK 88 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 19:54
We only just got rid of the Championship play offs because you couldn't possibly be expected to recruit a squad if you only knew you were going up in May.

We all know what will happen if this comes in, one of the "wrong" teams will win the play off then infuriatingly finish 12th the next season or even worse win the relegation play off from the higher division the next season.

One of the sainted 13 will be cast out and we'll have to have another expansion and reorganisation to make sure the "right" teams are perpetually in the top tier.

Just expand to 14, have one relegation place and don't fund the new boy properly. The sainted 13 are protected and at least we get to see a different team at WR each season.

Bod (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 23:52
T14?
What an idea

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

johnthegrif (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 11:49
If we did go to a Top 14 with one team automatically relegated and one promoted with a play off between second bottom and second top like the French I wouldn't be against it, however the Championship would need much better funding than at present.
To go to thirteen teams with one team getting a bye each week would mean that the fair tradition of all teams kicking off at the same time on the final league weekend of the season would have to go, and inevitably once the principal is lost there would be kick offs on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday with some teams knowing what they had to achieve in the match or knowing that the result did not really matter and selections made accordingly.

Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 15:29
You can also have a safe bet on which team will get a rest before an important league or European match. Its bad enough when one team has an extra couple of days. Imagine an extra week?

daktari (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 16:35
I am all for it provided every team in the top 14 is willing and able to play on a Friday evening/Saturday /Sunday , if not put them in the Championship and promote the teams that can , simples!

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
15 May, 2019 10:18
No matter what they call it or how they dress it up, it is still rinfencing and it is fundamentally wrong and, in at least 8 clubs cases, would be the height of hypocrisy

Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
15 May, 2019 11:04
The top 14 model is ideal IMO. Relegation is important. Anyone who thinks teams who have spent over a decade bumbling allong in the bottom 3 would suddenly start developing without the risk of relegation are mad. They will cut costs and do just enough to stay afloat. They might back more Academy players but any who are good will still get poached.... as it always has been.

I am not sure without relegation Quins or Saints would ever have won the league.

I fully expect the self serving PRL to get whar it wants though... they dont care about fair play.. its all money. If Newcastle survive again due to this it will be unfair on all who went down before.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
15 May, 2019 11:24
Why is a ringfenced league fundamentally wrong? The majority of professional sports around the world are or have been at various points 'ringfenced' in one way or another. The primary exception is soccer. However football is the main global professional sport historically derived from the English model with promotion and relegation with enormous sums of money (and supporters) even at relatively low levels that are way beyond anything in Rugby Union. Even in football the Argentinian system, although allowing promotion and relegation is based on cumulative performance over three seasons. If you look at baseball or NFL there is not a hint of promotion and relegation yet they somehow manage to generate interest and money.

There is nothing in principle that says P&R is the way a professional sport is run. Before leagues were introduced rugby in this country did not operate that way at all. Rugby is a minority spectator sport and there is nothing that says that aping football is the right way forward for something that is actually very new as a professional spectator sport. Essentially there seem to be about 13 clubs capable of operating professionally with a couple of others interested but not there yet. Come on, Ealing can barely drag in 700 paying supporters, Pirates still can't build a stadium (and despite the romanticism the chances that a rather deprived region really can support a top tier rugby team is actually not well evidenced). The last club that took a punt on the Premiership destroyed itself and had to restart at the bottom of the pyramid. And recall that London Irish are technically London Irish, Scottish and Richmond when those latter two clubs imploded under the pressure of professionalism. Leedshire bought in a new team to avoid relegation and, having done so, announced a huge cut in playing budget for next season and a move to part-time. Their future is still far from clear.

IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
15 May, 2019 11:47
While I don't disagree with your reasoning, for me it's all about having the chance. In every sport you will reach a certain level, whether it be parks,grassroots or international and I doubt if any legal challenge would succeed but, for me, it's all about having the chance to go as far as you can and to take it away is a red line for me

Tom Paine (IP Logged)
17 May, 2019 17:47
If we adopt the NFL system we should have second picks from all the Prem academies for next season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net