Next Game: Pre-Season Friendly - TBA
Game After:

Ins and outs
Johns (IP Logged)
05 July, 2019 07:58
Quote:
Telegraph
LEICESTER TIGERS
INS: Jordan Taufua (Crusaders), Noel Reid (Leinster), Calum Green (Newcastle Falcons), Jaco Taute (Munster), Charlie Clare (Bedford Blues), Nephi Leatigaga (Biarritz), Tomas Lavanini (Jaguares) Joe Thomas (Otorohanga), Johnny McPhillips (Ulster), Hanro Liebenberg (Bulls), EW Viljoen (Stormers), Jordan Coghlan (Nottingham)

OUTS: Matt Toomua (Melbourne Rebels), Mike Williams (Bath), Graham Kitchener (Worcester Warriors), Mathew Tait (retired), Will Evans (Harlequins), Tom Varndell (South China Tigers), James Voss (Coventry), Matt Smith (retired), Gareth Owen (Newcastle Falcons), Mike Fitzgerald (Kamaishi Seawaves), Brendon O'Connor (Hawke's Bay), Valentino Mapapalangi (released), Joe Ford (released), Fred Tuilagi (released), Charlie Thacker (released), Campese Ma'afu (released), David Feao (released), Ross McMillan (released), Harry Mahoney (released), Leonardo Sarto (released), Clayton Blommetjies (Scarlets)

Re: Ins and outs
(JSF) (IP Logged)
05 July, 2019 09:22
so 12 retired or released, with 9 leaving

and only 12 coming in

that's a significant change in the squad, but IMHO much needed

jojo (IP Logged)
05 July, 2019 10:44
Plus the academy lads coming up.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
05 July, 2019 10:51
I regard this season's transfers to be positive. Generally the squad is beter balanced.

Tiggs (IP Logged)
05 July, 2019 13:53
Although, who are now our Marque players ?
George Ford and Manu ?

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

penguin (IP Logged)
05 July, 2019 14:27
Assumed Jordan Taufua would be one..

SK 88 (IP Logged)
05 July, 2019 14:50
I don't really see how we can guess who they are, you can make pretty decent reasons for several of them.

Tiggs (IP Logged)
05 July, 2019 14:52
This is perhaps one of Tigers issues, with other clubs it is fairly obvious

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
05 July, 2019 15:14
I was wondering about making smart use of the marquee player rule the other day, could a club rotate it around several players over a period of years to allow a club to pay more players more money, if needed, without breaching the cap? The NFL is full of that sort of creative accountancy...

Yorkie (IP Logged)
05 July, 2019 16:31
Quote:
Tiggs
Although, who are now our Marque players ?
George Ford and Manu ?

Didn't think George could be as he came to us from another Prem club?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Yorkie (IP Logged)
05 July, 2019 16:36
Quote:
Brownian Motion
I was wondering about making smart use of the marquee player rule the other day, could a club rotate it around several players over a period of years to allow a club to pay more players more money, if needed, without breaching the cap? The NFL is full of that sort of creative accountancy...

I think this is covered and prevented in the big tent player/noose "rules". For instance, you can't pay, say, a player £3m in the first year of a 3 year contract and then £1 for the following 2 seasons. In the salary noose rules, this player would count £1m each year.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
05 July, 2019 16:44
Noose details

With links to actual regs.

Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
05 July, 2019 16:56
Quote:
Yorkie
Quote:
Brownian Motion

I think this is covered and prevented in the big tent player/noose "rules". For instance, you can't pay, say, a player £3m in the first year of a 3 year contract and then £1 for the following 2 seasons. In the salary noose rules, this player would count £1m each year.

That would make sense.

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
05 July, 2019 17:17
looking at the actual ins and outs

Clare for McMillon (Prob the same)
Leatigaga for Faeo (Prob valued the same)
Lavanini for Kitchener (pay increase)
Green for Fitzgerald (Prob less)
Liebenberg for Williams (More)
Taufua for O'Connor (More)
Coghlan for Mapapalangi (Prob the same)
McPhillips for Ford (More)
Taute for Owen (More)
Reid for Toomua (Less but Toomua was marquee)
Viljeon for Tait (Less maybe the same)
Thomas for Thacker (Same)

Evans and Tuilagi the only ones who not a direct outside replacement
But 8 players have come up to the seniors.

The other players named in the leavers didn't count on the cap I think.

I reckon Ford is the marquee freeing the extra cap that would cover it.

johnthegrif (IP Logged)
05 July, 2019 19:37
Toomua was a marquee player, I would think Ford was the other last season but it has been reported that Tuilagi has had a big pay rise so he maybe the marquee for next season. I would think either Lavanini ot Taufua which ever is the highest earner would be our overseas marquee. I don't think Tait would have been included in the cap lastseason as he didn't play. my understanding is that if a guy gets onto the pitch for us even for a short time then his whole salary counts in the cap if he doesn't then he is outside the cap. Of course as a business we have to find the money to pay them whether they play or not.

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
05 July, 2019 19:51
Pretty sure one doesn't have to be a overseas player.

Tait might not have been included at the end of season but at the start of season his cap was factored into our budget and he wasn't replaced within the cap during the season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2019 19:53 by Ayerzawannabe.

johnthegrif (IP Logged)
06 July, 2019 10:53
One Marquee player cannot have played in the Premiership the season before signing, that implies he will be from overseas.You are right in that Tait was not replaced within the cap as for much of the season we were still expecting/hoping he would recover enough to play so unless we paid extra to development players who got unexpected Premiership time or exceeded the permitted injury dispensation payments his wage would remain as cap expenditure.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
06 July, 2019 11:41
I think that he can’t have played in the Premiership for another club John. I think we could make any of our existing squad the marquee.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
06 July, 2019 21:43
Quote:

3.3 Excluded Players
(a) For the Salary Cap Year a Club shall be entitled to nominate up to two Excluded
Players.
(b) A Club shall nominate in writing to the Salary Cap Manager the name of their
Excluded Player(s). The nominations must be received by the Salary Cap Manager
prior to the end of the Salary Cap Year in which the Excluded Players are nominated
and any exclusion from the Senior ceiling will only be effective from the date of
receipt of that nomination.
(c) A Club shall only be entitled to nominate a Player as their first Excluded Player who:
(i) has been a Player of the Club for at least two full Salary Cap Years prior to the
Salary Cap Year in which he is nominated as the Excluded Player; or
(ii) has not been a Player of any Club during the previous Salary Cap Year, other
than a Player who (A) qualifies under Regulation 3.3(c)(i) or (cool smiley has only
been a Player of a Club during the previous Salary Cap Year as a replacement
for an Injured Player following dispensation under Regulation 5; or
(iii) has been a Player (but not an Excluded Player) for the Club in the previous
Salary Cap Year and was not a Player for any other Club for at least one Salary
Cap Year immediately prior to joining the Club.
(d) A Club shall only be entitled to nominate a Player as a second Excluded Player who:
(i) has not been a Player of any Club during the previous Salary Cap Year; or
(ii) was that Club’s second Excluded Player in the previous Salary Cap Year.
(e) Where the status of a Club’s Excluded Player changes i.e. from a Player of the Club to
an Excluded Player or vice versa; the Salary of that Player or Excluded Player shall
be deemed to be as follows:-
(i) where an Excluded Player ceases to be nominated as an Excluded Player, his
Salary in each subsequent Salary Cap Year when he is no longer an Excluded
Player shall be the average of his Salary for all Salary Cap Years during which he
was a Senior Player for that Club from the 2016/2017 Salary Cap Year onwards;
and
2018/19 Regulations – Approved by PRL Board on 17 October 2017 Page 14 of 57
(ii) subject to 3.3(f) below, where a Player is nominated as an Excluded Player the
amount of Salary which may be excluded from the Senior Ceiling during a Salary
Cap Year shall be limited to his average annual Salary for all Salary Cap Years
during which he was a Senior Player for that Club from the 2016/17 Salary Cap
Year onwards.
By way of illustration only:
If an Excluded Player’s Salary in Salary Cap Year 2016/2017 (his first Salary Cap
Year at the Club) was £500,000 and in Salary Cap Years 2017/18 and 2018/19
when he was not an Excluded Player his Salaries were £50,000, then in 2017/18
the average of £550,000 worth of Salary (i.e. £275,000) would be included in
the Senior Ceiling as the Player’s Salary and in 2018/19 the average of £600,000
worth of Salary (i.e. £200,000) would be included in the Senior Ceiling as the
Player’s Salary; and
If in Salary Cap Years 2016/17 and 2017/18 the Player’s Salaries were £50,000
and in Salary Cap Year 2018/19, as an Excluded Player, his Salary was £500,000,
the Club would only be entitled to exclude from the Senior Ceiling in Salary Cap
Year 2018/19 the average of those Salaries i.e. £200,000 and £300,000 worth
of Salary would be included in the Senior Ceiling.
(f) For the purposes of calculating the average annual Salary in 3.3(e)(ii), where a Player
has been a Senior Player for that Club for part only of any relevant Salary Cap Year, his
annual Salary for that Salary Cap Year shall be calculated based on the actual Salary
paid to him during that Salary Cap Year adjusted pro rata as if he had been a Senior
Player for the entire Salary Cap Year.
(g) The Salary Cap Manager shall keep the name(s) of the Excluded Player(s) confidential
save for (i) notifying the Accountants and the Solicitors for the purpose of managing
the Regulations and/or (ii) notifying the CEO and Rugby Director as reasonably
required during a Disciplinary Process.

johnthegrif (IP Logged)
07 July, 2019 09:06
That clears that up then and my head hurts!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net